GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,255 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
34 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: How Do You Thumb? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Oakville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A while ago I compared the thumbs I've received to the thumbs I've given, and was surprised to see that I'd received far more than I have given. It got me thinking I should spend more time giving thumbs.

Of course, I didn't want to sprinkle them willy-nilly - that somehow just doesn't seem right. But in order to properly discriminate, well, that takes time and effort. Anyway, I've decided that I will dedicate a certain amount of time to thumbing lists, pics, and threads, even if I'm not involved in the discussion.

How do YOU thumb?
Poll
How do you thumb?
I dedicate time to thumb contributions in threads and lists where I don't necessarily contribute
I generally only thumb contributions in threads and lists where I am engaged enough to contribute myself
Wait a minute! I thought this was all about me!
      143 answers
Poll created by Hungadunga

What do you thumb?
Poll
What do you thumb?
GeekLists
GeekList Items
Images
Videos
Comments
Threads
Replies to Threads
Files
      142 answers
Poll created by Hungadunga

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DC
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thumb...

- Something really useful.
- Something I was going to say, but which is said better.
- Something I agree with, especially if it's well said.
- Something funny.
- Images which I appreciate for their artistic, humorous, or useful qualities.
- Basically anything I think is more useful, more funny, more interesting, or just generally better than normal.

It's entirely personal, but I really love having a tiny "vote" on each item on BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
My thumb ratio is about 4:1 received:given.
And it's about to increase!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's even more interesting when you bring tips into the equation, as well.

So, for me, I've received about double the number of thumbs I've given (neither is a very high number, given how long I've been on the site).

However, I have given out about three times as many tips as I've received.

I wonder which is the norm:

Tip more, thumb more
Tip more, thumb less (which is me)
Tip less, thumb more
Tip less, thumb less

I thumb when something makes me laugh, or when something really rings true; but most of the time I don't think about it - not maliciously; just absent-mindedly. Hell, I'll probably forget to thumb this thread!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bobek
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I thumb if I agree, if I don't but I like the thought process, if it's a cool picture, especially of miniatures, and to encourage people to post. Generally, if I thumb, I tip at least a geek penny as long as I have some to tip.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ʇllıʍ)
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Over the past month I have purposefully increased my thumbing. My new strategy is to thumb any thread, geeklist, or picture that draws my attention enough for me to open it up and take a closer look. I further thumb any comments or replies that I think are well written, witty, or just plain correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
United States
Carol Stream
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Casual Gamer
badge
You'll get over it.
mbmbmbmbmb
How do I thumb?

Generally whenever something provokes a positive response in me. Funny, interesting, cool, useful, etc. Pretty simple. Could be something I noticed randomly, am actively involved in, or only cursory involved in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Liken
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
By clicking the thumb button - is there another way?

But, seriously in a similar way to others, if I see some comment that is witty, or in my view a very good or correct answer to a thread. I also will thumb people that have put a lot of effort or thought into something eg an enjoyable geeklist or review, or even a comment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Oakville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are many reasons why I will thumb an item.

But if anyone quotes me, even if they do it to point out that I don't know what the fuck I'm talking about, I'll give them a thumb.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Simpson

California
msg tools
designer
publisher
I thumb the way I eat cereal -- only the crunchy bits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Goodknecht
United States
Bourbonnais
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Quote:
But if anyone quotes me, even if they do it to point out that I don't know what the fuck I'm talking about

This is the internet. You are not required to know what the fuck you are talking about!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Folks can thumb for any reason they like, but I'm puzzled by the active members who are so grudging with them that even I beat their thumbs-given count in GeekGold dollars I've tipped away.

Thumbs don't cost you anything, people!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Udvari
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thumb threads even if I don't reply. Oh wait...
Seriously, I prefer to be generous. People usually feel better that way and if one click can make a (miniscule, but still) positive change in someone's life then so be it. Of course the contribution must be good as I don't advocate thumbing any old rubbish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
I generally thumb what I like in discussions I read, everywhere. I also thumb all the files I download and use, and all the pictures that I find interesting or beautiful or useful. There's nothing stopping me from thumbing liberally, it's really easy too and doesn't really take a lot of time, and who doesn't like getting thumbed. I have a thumbs given : received ratio of roughly 3:1.

I generally tip when somebody said something better than I could. Since I spend a lot of GG on minibadges, I have quite a bit less tips given than tips received, mostly due to budget constraints (and I often tip just .01, just to make a point and make the post stand out a little bit).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
When I find something I like or agree, I thumb. Like your post thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pone McPoneface
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone. Ripple in still water, when there is no pebble tossed, nor wind to blow.
badge
To seek the sacred river Alph, to walk the caves of ice, to break my fast on honey dew and drink the milk of paradise... I had heard the whispered tales of immortality, the deepest mystery, from an ancient book I took a clue.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I guess I'm a BGG thumb slut as I have over a 2:1 ratio of thumbs given versus thumbs received. I just give it away left and right without regard to any criteria other than if I've read the post and generally agree, disagree (if done nicely), find something funny, etc. But, just to be clear, I'm not a thumb whore as they only do it for geek gold.

I think I derived this loose concept from some self-help guide I read some years back...something about it being better to give than receive. Seemed like a good idea when I read it and try to put to practice when I can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
How Do You Thumb?

Click on the little green thumb icon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Groth
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On the wording of that first poll: I thumb threads that I find interesting even if I don't contribute, BUT I don't intentionally dedicate time for that specific purpose, seeking out something to add thumbs to.

I think I've thumbed everything except videos. I generally don't click on the videos. They carry the risk of audio, and attract undesired attention from others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew DiGregorio
United States
West Babylon
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a scary clown!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes i will throw a thumb someone's way just to make them scratch their head if they ever look back on the thread.

Like if someone just posts "Yes", i'll give it a thumb just to make people think "What the hell did he thumb THAT for?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Paula G
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I'm in the thumb-slut category. I thumb just about everything unless the poster is being a jerk or I know the post is wrong. As a person who is having memory issues, I get the added benefit of being able to tell which items I have already read.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Phillips
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I usually use the right hand one when I want a ride.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Straight

Covington
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Hungadunga wrote:

But if anyone quotes me, even if they do it to point out that I don't know what the fuck I'm talking about, I'll give them a thumb.

That's essentially what I do.

If I post content that I find interesting [by definition I find all of my own posts interesting... well, sort of], I give out thumbs as a sort of "thank you" to anyone who acknowledges the content in any way.

Anyone who posts in my GLs or comments on my wife's pictures that she posts or makes a reply to a variant or rules question I post basically gets an automatic thumb, even they say I'm a flaming idiot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Canada
Prince George
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Wise men say, forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have a set strategy. I'll thumb something if I feel like thumbing it. I save tipping for the really good, informative comments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew DiGregorio
United States
West Babylon
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a scary clown!
mbmbmbmbmb
gg607886 wrote:
I thumb just about everything unless the poster is being a jerk

Jerk!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
United States
Johns Creek
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thumb for beer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.