GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,455 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

Dust» Forums » Variants

Subject: How to shorten the Epic game length rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paulo Santoro
Brazil
São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
I have to say:

a) Game length is not such an issue for me - but it can be for some of my fellow players.

b) I don't like Premium rules, I want to play only Epic/Italian rules.

c) I played Dust only once, but I've read a lot about it.

d) I don't want mess up the good balancing of the game, so suggestions for shortening the game should be very subtle.

Having said that, what comes to my mind?

1) After the leader gets 25 (30?) or more points, he wins immediately if the second player has at least 5 (6? 7?) points less than him. (Would it be unfair? Is there a way to prepare yourself for a big final rush that this rule would break?)

2) A player can spend one combat point in his turn to decrease the number of victory points needed to win. I mean: at the start of the game, put a marker in 40 points. Spending 1 combat point, a player can bring this marker 2 points less.

3) Almost same as above, but to decrease the place of the marker could be an alternative ability of the Diplomat.

4) Game ends in 28 points - unless if all the players (except the "winner", of course) agree to go on. Repeat in 34 points. (If most of players agree to go on, lenght is not a problem anymore.)

5) When the leader gets 25 (26? 28? 30?) or more points, the game will have only 2 more rounds. It would avoid that last round only because the leader has 39 points.

6) Anyone?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Myers
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmmmm -

I would have to say:
1) No to this one- The game can be won in a big swing- In fact the last game we had a player do a 14 point turn around to pull it out
2)I like this rule- good little twist
3)Samething - I like this rule - I would like to try it
4) and 5) - I would say no- The game already has an average of 5-7 turns- decreasing the points would make it a 4-5 turns- One thing my gaming group says after every game is .. I wish we had one more turn! Once you reach the midpoint to attack capitals- things get very interesting for a couple of turns- just a blast

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Santoro
Brazil
São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
After playing 6 times, I need to carry this on. Games lasts between 4:30 and 5:00.

When it is near to the end, the players with less points are losing interest, and the others try to force a further turn. I will try this:

When a player gets 30 or more points, the game ends immediately if the last player has 12+ points less than the first. Otherwise, the game will end after the next turn.

That's it. In any case, the last turn will always be great. The game will last a little less time and also it will feel as lasting less time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.