GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,496 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
13 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Conventions

Subject: Drinking and Boardgaming at GenCon rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Naikelis
United States
Aurora
OH - Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do like to enjoy some adult beverages while gaming and on vacation so I was wondering, other than my hotel room, is there a place that allows either bringing your own drinks or having them served while open gaming?

I heard The Ram has open gaming tables somewhere. Does anyone have any details on these? How much space is available? Do they fill up quickly?

Any other venues you guys can think of?

And no I'm not an alcoholic! At least that's what I keep telling myself
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim Tim TIm TIM TIMMY!!
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am with you. I saw a few people drinking at GC last year, and they just had regular containters so everyone could tell they where drinking. I would say just have a good plastic cup with a lid and a little bottle in your pocket and you would be fine, or add a nip to a soda or juice you have. As long as you are not drunk and disorderly, or to loud I am sure you would be fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Kinsey
United States
Lancaster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We game a lot in Champions, the bar in the Marriott... Nothing like a good 8 hr session of brews and boardgames
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Schmidt
United States
Saint Marys
Ohio
flag msg tools
mattnaik wrote:
I do like to enjoy some adult beverages while gaming and on vacation so I was wondering, other than my hotel room, is there a place that allows either bringing your own drinks or having them served while open gaming?

I heard The Ram has open gaming tables somewhere. Does anyone have any details on these? How much space is available? Do they fill up quickly?

My last visit to Indy, I stopped by a game store called The Arsenal; it's about a mile-and-a-half from the convention center, SE of downtown on Virginia Avenue. They had a few gaming tables upstairs and a couple of D+D themed ones in the basement. The owner was nice and talkative and had been (is) an old Avalon Hill and SPI gamer. It's worth the side-trip. Address: 874 Virginia (East side of Virginia just over I65 bridge) Phone: 317-822-4263.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Naikelis
United States
Aurora
OH - Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BDKWombat wrote:
We game a lot in Champions, the bar in the Marriott... Nothing like a good 8 hr session of brews and boardgames

That's what I'm talking about! I'm actually staying at the Marriott so this is definitely an option!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The old manager of the Ram (the guy who started their GC program) recently became the manager at Scotties Brewhouse. He is apparently doing a Gen Con beer, open gaming on the patio, movies, and game related decorations.

More info here:

http://community.gencon.com/forums/t/23607.aspx
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Feldaan
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mattnaik wrote:
?

There's also Scotty's Brewhouse down a few blocks from the ICC on Virginia Avenue. It's now ran by the former proprietor of the RAM who is a huge gamer himself, he's mentioned that there will be open gaming tables available as well as extended hours for GenCon. They'll also have a themed GenCon brew available as well as mugs and shirts.

*Edit* Damn, Zaphod beat me to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerbear
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it must be allowed because I am signed up for Drunken DND. You are required to drink while playing. I guess it might be in an "appropriate" place, but if there was an all out ban I would think they wouldn't allow it to be something you could sign up for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aaron belmer
United States
Webster Groves
St Louis
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Every night myself and friends drink and game right down the road, at the union station hall. in the basement is an excellent bar with excellent gaming tables and cold beer, super secret, which means never too busy. best kept secret of gencon drinkers. the saturday night dance (one floor above) this year is a pajama party

http://www.gencon.com/2010/indy/pm/events/dance.aspx
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Naikelis
United States
Aurora
OH - Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zenmazster wrote:
Every night myself and friends drink and game right down the road, at the union station hall. in the basement is an excellent bar with excellent gaming tables and cold beer, super secret, which means never too busy. best kept secret of gencon drinkers. the saturday night dance (one floor above) this year is a pajama party

http://www.gencon.com/2010/indy/pm/events/dance.aspx

Union station as in the train station down the road?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aaron belmer
United States
Webster Groves
St Louis
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
123 west louisiana. Grand Hall Union station, where the crown plaza is. Cool place!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.