GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,656 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Advanced Squad Leader: Starter Kit #3» Forums » Rules

Subject: Motion Fire question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: asljr_rsp [+] [View All]
Walter Newton
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
If I have an AFV marked with a "Motion" counter taking a Defensive Fire shot at an enemy AFV during the enemy's MPh:

I would assume the Case 16 Motion Fire (and therefore also Case 14 Bounding (First) Fire) DRMs apply?

Is this shot considered Bounding Fire and/or Bounding First Fire (and what's the difference between the two, anyway)?

And if so, is the Rulebook not incomplete in its definitions of same under section 2.0, which only refer to fire occuring during the vehicle's own MPh or AFPh?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Richardson
United States
Lindsborg
Kansas
flag msg tools
mb
Walter Newton wrote:
If I have an AFV marked with a "Motion" counter taking a Defensive Fire shot at an enemy AFV during the enemy's MPh:

I would assume the Case 16 Motion Fire (and therefore also Case 14 Bounding (First) Fire) DRMs apply?

Yes.

Walter Newton wrote:
Is this shot considered Bounding Fire and/or Bounding First Fire (and what's the difference between the two, anyway)?

No, it's a Defensive First Fire shot.

A Bounding First Fire shot is a shot taken by the current ATTACKER during the MPh (just like a Defensive First Fire shot is a shot taken by the current DEFENDER during the MPh). First Fire shots can only occur during the MPh.

A Bounding Fire shot is a shot taken by the current ATTACKER in the AFPh.

Walter Newton wrote:
And if so, is the Rulebook not incomplete in its definitions of same under section 2.0, which only refer to fire occuring during the vehicle's own MPh or AFPh?

No, the definitions are correct. I think what's confusing you is that a Defensive (First) Fire shot will often use the Bounding (First) Fire DRMs even though it's not any kind of Bounding Fire.

This is mainly a matter of convenience: it would be rather wasteful to repeat all of Case 14 in a separate case just so the labels could be changed from "Bounding" to "Motion Defensive Fire". Full ASL works the same way, in that the DRMs are given once for Bounding (First) Fire, but they can also apply to Defensive (First) Fire shots.

EDIT: clarified some wording
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter Newton
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
richfam wrote:
a Defensive (First) Fire shot will often use the Bounding (First) Fire DRMs even though it's not any kind of Bounding Fire.

Thanks for clearing this up, this is exactly what was confusing me.

I've also been going through your tutorial while trying to get a handle on the vehicle rules, and have a couple of quick questions if you don't mind - how does the term "mobile" used in the ASLSK#3 Rulebook (and/or full ASL?) fit in with Ole Boe's movement status terminology (moving, Motion, non-stopped, Moving Target), and what is the small addition to the Moving Target status definition under the full ASL rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Richardson
United States
Lindsborg
Kansas
flag msg tools
mb
As per the definitions, a mobile vehicle is one that is not shocked, stunned, bogged, or immobilized. A vehicle doesn't actually have to be moving or in Motion to be a mobile vehicle; "mobile" simply means that the vehicle is capable of normal movement.

Thus "mobile" doesn't really have much to do with the various types of vehicular movement status, other than saying that mobile vehicles are generally the only ones that really need to track their movement status. Non-mobile vehicles can't do very much, and will generally remain not in Motion, Stopped, and not a Moving Target as long as they remain non-mobile. Note, however, that a vehicle that becomes non-mobile could remain a Moving Target until the end of the current player turn.

The Moving Target addition for full ASL is that a vehicle that uses Vehicular Bypass Movement (VBM) becomes a Moving Target when it does so. This is a necessary addition, because it is possible to use VBM without actually entering a new hex. The full version of Ole's Vehicular Movement Status summary can be found in this player aid for full ASL (along with a lot of other potentially useful stuff):

ASL Phases Quick Reference
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/43693/asl-phases-quick...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter Newton
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Great, thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.