GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,153 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
21 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: game with lots of choices/strategies for a 3rd grader rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
who loves Age of Mythology (which I've never played and which doesn't look like the kind of game I generally would play, so I'm not quite sure what's analogous. And I don't know whether he plays the boardgame or the computer game version).

Most likely playmates are his two older brothers (7th and 10th graders). Mom might also play (but she tends to like shorter, more abstract games with nice-looking wooden bits, so maybe not).

Emerald, Roma, Boomtown, Stone Age, Pandemic, and Metropolys have all been hits with this family.

What would you recommend? My first thoughts were Vikings, Havana, and Kingsburg, but I'm not even sure I'm anywhere in the ballpark.



1 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John W
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Strategic choices for a 3rd grader?

Interesting...... I've never met a 3rd grader that could make good strategic choices in games such as those.

But your kids are the rarity, you say....
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Not my kid, but I've played games with him and yes, he can make strategic choices, develop and implement a plan over a number of turns, recognize when he should rethink his own strategy in light of others' (or of subsequent events), etc.



 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
We always have time for the things we put first.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe Ra: The Dice Game or Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher KrackerJack
United States
Portsmouth
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Avatar
When my son was that age, he loved Ticket to Ride, Commands & Colors: Ancients, and Betrayal at House on the Hill.

Yes, kids that young can design and implement strategies. What I've seen, primarily with my own son, is that games that somehow limit the available options to a discrete set are the best for developing strategies. I think this is why C&C:A worked: he was limited to his hand and was able to select the best available option. I would recommend Memoir '44 over C&C:A for that age, however.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
KrackerJack wrote:
I would recommend Memoir '44 over C&C:A for that age, however.


Could you tell me why? (I don't know how they differ -- beyond historical time period).


 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
smithhemb wrote:
KrackerJack wrote:
I would recommend Memoir '44 over C&C:A for that age, however.


Could you tell me why? (I don't know how they differ -- beyond historical time period).




Plastic tanks and soldiers blowing things up compared to wooden blocks with pictures of ancient greeks on them . . . I would think.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Christiansen
United States
Mount Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
OOK! OOK! OOK!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We really enjoyChateau Roquefort.

Action point mechanic where one has mice entering a castle to collect cheese. Can have a "take that" mechanic where you can dump other player's mice in holes that needs to be watched, but is great fun.

But is really more tactical than strategic, although there is surely some strategic planning.




1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebekah B
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe not a lot of strategies, but Caveman does have choices, and the theme is a lot of fun.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Very legal & very cool
United States
Lincoln
NE
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure a 3rd grader could play Hey, That's My Fish!, and it certainly offers enough choices for me.

It's mostly tactical, but I think in the early game you're presented with some important strategic decisions as to what areas you're going to try to block off for yourself - in fact, that aspect reminds me strongly of Go, possibly the strategiest of strategy games

You've also got checkmarks on the "short" and "abstract" columns for your mother
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Lantz
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the suggestion of Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age is a great idea. Even though he is clever, attention can at that age start to wander and a quick playing game like this would lower the chance of that happening. And it is a pure fun dice game with some great civ components that might remind him a bit of Age of Mythology. This game should appeal to the mom as well.

Memoir'44 is also a great choice. Only for two though. This one also plays quickly and the fact that his options are somewhat limited by the cards should (as discussed above) should really help rather than hinder.

And Age of Myhtology makes me think of Cyclades. Haven't played it, but is probably too much.

A totally different suggestion is Witch's Brew. Not like Age of Mythology at all, but a fun card game for the family.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
smithhemb wrote:
KrackerJack wrote:
I would recommend Memoir '44 over C&C:A for that age, however.


Could you tell me why? (I don't know how they differ -- beyond historical time period).




Plastic tanks and soldiers blowing things up compared to wooden blocks with pictures of ancient greeks on them . . . I would think.




Precisely why I ask, LOL, because this is a kid who would probably think that the Ancient Greeks were much cooler...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting to see two recommendations for Roll through the Ages. That popped into my head too (I guess Civ-lite/short), but then I wondered whether he'd see that as involving enough different choices. But the easy way to find that out is probably just to loan them our copy.

Maybe I'm reading too much into what his mother said, but I think basically what the kid is looking for is a big decision tree and probably one where different paths/roles/powers/activities are available and clearly marked. He (and his middle brother) loved Caveman a few years back, so Rebekah was right on target wrt taste, but I think he's looking for something more complex (there's a certain keep up with the older brothers dynamic but also enough age difference that I suspect that he doesn't get, for example, the strategic nuances of Roma nearly as well as they do).

Basically, I think he wants a choose your own adventure style boardgame (which made me think Tales of the Arabian Nights), but more active than narrative. Since I'm a simple rules, challenging decisions kind of person myself, I don't know many games like that.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher KrackerJack
United States
Portsmouth
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Avatar
smithhemb wrote:
scifiantihero wrote:
smithhemb wrote:
KrackerJack wrote:
I would recommend Memoir '44 over C&C:A for that age, however.


Could you tell me why? (I don't know how they differ -- beyond historical time period).




Plastic tanks and soldiers blowing things up compared to wooden blocks with pictures of ancient greeks on them . . . I would think.




Precisely why I ask, LOL, because this is a kid who would probably think that the Ancient Greeks were much cooler...

The better components is part of the reason. The other is that M'44 has a simpler ruleset than C&C:A. M'44 has basically 3 unit types (in the base game) that are modified by various pieces of terrain. This lends itself to a faster game with fewer "special cases."

C&C:A has very little terrain effects (other than rivers which show up often) but has many different unit types with special rules. C&C:A also adds Leader units with special modifiers, bonuses for "supported" units, and rules for evasion that can get complicated (for an 8-year old).

If you think this child would much prefer the Ancient theme, than go with C&C:A. If you think he is indifferent to the theme, go with M'44.

Also, here is a link to my discussion on "easing" into C&C:A with my son:Easing into the rules for non- and young gamers
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow -- thanks 'Jack -- that's really helpful!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Schachtelhalm
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, That's My Fish!
Shorter, more abstract games with nice-looking wooden bits. Lots of choices. Suggested ages: 8 and up.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Roth
United States
Westminster
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
I wonder if Attika might be a good choice. It does have clear paths for advancement, although I'm not sure if it would be too complex for this particular situation.

That said, I really enjoy this game, as it has several choices for victory paths.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jonathan schleyer
United States
Manhattan Beach
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe Carson City? It has a cool theme, mechanics that aren't too complicated and is scaleable. The pieces are really nice too.

I've played with 2nd graders and they enjoyed it without completely getting it so I assume smart 3rd graders would enjoy it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks -- I'm hoping to play Carson City for the first time in the next couple of days and I'll look at it with this in mind. And I'll dig out Attika, which I only played once, years ago and never would have thought of.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Artoos
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
smithhemb wrote:
Emerald, Roma, Boomtown, Stone Age, Pandemic, and Metropolys have all been hits with this family.

What would you recommend? My first thoughts were Vikings, Havana, and Kingsburg, but I'm not even sure I'm anywhere in the ballpark.

I'd be thinking about Notre Dame, Ys or Samurai, but that's mostly based on age (3rd grade = 8-9 years old, yes?) - though these also could go over well with mom, particularly Samurai. There's definitely some depth, but the scope of decision-making isn't too broad. If you're looking for something in the vein of AoM, Cyclades could be good. Vaguely similar theme, some different mechanics and comparable weight. All these are already on your list of owned games though, so I'm not sure of that means these choices are convenient or already tried and rejected.

Vikings might be a decent choice, but I'm usually wary about auction games for relatively young kids. Picking a good bid can be difficult for them to get a handle on. Haven't played Havana or Kingsburg, so no comments there.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Convenient!! Not all have been tried (but, for example, Cyclades and Carson City are tops of my "to play" pile for other reasons). You're right that his mom would like Samurai -- but I suspect he wants something that isn't so abstract. And, actually, I my take is that he's looking for breadth over depth. Which is why I'm more at a loss than usual because that's not appealing to me at all.

The mom's take, thus far, is that Vikings sounds like it's the kind of thing he's looking for. I hadn't remembered the auctions. But they may not be a problem since he's been playing Boomtown for a couple of years now.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.