Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
37 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: Ignoring Trade Proposals rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Johnson
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was wondering if others have had the same problem as me in trading.

Most of the time when I offer a trade the trade is completely ignored (2 out of 3 trades), and these trades are often to people that have completed trades in the past. I also notice that these people are logging into BGG quite often and so i assume they read the trade proposals. Is it common practice that if you don't want to trade that you just ignore the trade? Is it really that hard to click the "decline" link in the inbox? Are people even looking in their inboxes?

I think the trading functionality is possibly the most useful feature of this site. I’m sure we all have games that we want to get rid of and would be willing to trade with other BGG'ers. But the system requires people to respond to trade offers in a timely fashion to work properly.

Sorry for my rant...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Peterson
United States
Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hear your pain...
I've hit the same problem with many of my offers. I'll probably keep trying to make trades, but it is very frustrating....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kane Klenko
United States
Ridgeway
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I've had the same problem.

Yes, it is frustrating.

Yes, it is easy to respond even if you're not interested.

Yes, I love the BGG trade feature.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Friesen
United States
Goshen
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I too have had similar problems. Its annoying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bert Dreifuss
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not too familiar with the trade offers -- when one is made, does it send a message through the BGG Inbox?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On the other-side of the fence, is this. Alot of trade proposals I get are ridiculous. One guy tried to trade me a used Scotland yard for my practically new Memoir 44. I didn't respond to the guy cause it had to have been a joke.

Also, while the trade peoposal is neat can cool, I would probably respond to a personal message rather than a generated one by the trade feature.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, you're not bad. You're also not the person causing the problems that people are complaining about. Your description is a red herring.

In the Trade manager, people see what you have for offer and what you want. An offered trade should include both sides of the deal, both of which are things you've said you'd like to trade. It's annoying when people ignore trades made through the trade manager.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
May I pass along my congratulations for your great interdimensional breakthrough. I am sure, in the miserable annals of the Earth, you will be duly enshrined. -- Lord John Whorfin
mbmbmbmbmb
ditto
I've had much more success with the BGG Marketplace.

I've proposed several trades, completed one, and only had a couple of folks get back to me with responses. This is after reviewing want lists and trade lists.

I feel your frustration.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Johnson
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
On the other-side of the fence, is this. Alot of trade proposals I get are ridiculous. One guy tried to trade me a used Scotland yard for my practically new Memoir 44. I didn't respond to the guy cause it had to have been a joke.

Also, while the trade peoposal is neat can cool, I would probably respond to a personal message rather than a generated one by the trade feature.

In the same time that it takes you to click on the "Back" button on your browser you could click the "Decline" link in the email. I agree that some trades that I have seen are completely unbalanced however I would take the time to clear the trade out of the system to let the person know you are not interested. You also have the option to let the person know why the trade is ridiculous so that possibly they won't offer such trades in the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
In the same time that it takes you to click on the "Back" button on your browser you could click the "Decline" link in the email. I agree that some trades that I have seen are completely unbalanced however I would take the time to clear the trade out of the system to let the person know you are not interested. You also have the option to let the person know why the trade is ridiculous so that possibly they won't offer such trades in the future.

Youre right, but I would rather them sweat it out if they make a lame trade proposal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim M-L
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've done it.
I'll admit that I have ignored trade proposals.
Probably my main reason for doing so is that I just don't want to deal with it. I prefer to give some reason for declining a trade, so it is not just a simple matter of clicking a few links. I like trading games and try to keep my want and trade lists as wide as my interests allow. I have found that probably a little more than half of trade proposals I have been involved with do not result in trades. I would only say that about half of those (1/4 of trades) involve one party or the other completely ignoring the proposal.

I'm curious, how many proposals is your 2 out of 3 statistic based on?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice avatar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
I wasn't born ! I sprang from the forhead of God , as he contemplated a particularly vile joke !
badge
I wasn't born , I was hatched in the deepest darkest part of the ocean , and raised by sharks !
mbmbmbmbmb
i agree .

i know it would be alot of work , but it would be neat if there was a function on this site that you could access that would compare your games list of tradables and wants with other peoples lists so that it would show you who has what you want and wants what you have . it would also eliminate haveing to go looking through the list of people who want to trade for what you have , BUT have nothing in their trade listings at all, just an empty page .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Willour
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
Trade Finder
The feature is already there. View your wanted list and click "Find Trades" in the upper right corner of the screen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
I wasn't born ! I sprang from the forhead of God , as he contemplated a particularly vile joke !
badge
I wasn't born , I was hatched in the deepest darkest part of the ocean , and raised by sharks !
mbmbmbmbmb
i wouldnt say you r bad , but rather than just belittleing someone , why not "help " them by telling them they are not offering something worthwhile . i run mageknight games for a local venue . we have a guy that tried the same thing with fig trading , he finally got the idea that his inflated idea of the value of the figs didnt fit the actuall value . since we do have kids there , playing in the games, we try to watch the trading so the dont get screwed .

would you be so discriminating as to tell someone not to trade you something worth more than you offered , if the positions were switched , would you do any different than they did ??? i re negotiate trades all the time because i dont want to screw the person i am trading . if you just blow them off , they will never know why you did it , and thus you may gain a rep as an a## whole when in fact you just didnt like what they had to offer , even here im sure there are more than a few cliques .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thnaks mcwill , i didnt know that . this site has alot of features i still havent figured out yet , and to make things worse , i am haveing trouble accessing it on some computers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teacher Fletcher
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Declining really seems like the polite thing to do instead of ignoring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
i wouldnt say you r bad , but rather than just belittleing someone , why not "help " them by telling them they are not offering something worthwhile . i run mageknight games for a local venue . we have a guy that tried the same thing with fig trading , he finally got the idea that his inflated idea of the value of the figs didnt fit the actuall value . since we do have kids there , playing in the games, we try to watch the trading so the dont get screwed .

would you be so discriminating as to tell someone not to trade you something worth more than you offered , if the positions were switched , would you do any different than they did ??? i re negotiate trades all the time because i dont want to screw the person i am trading . if you just blow them off , they will never know why you did it , and thus you may gain a rep as an a## whole when in fact you just didnt like what they had to offer , even here im sure there are more than a few cliques .

I dont initiate trade very pften but if i did, I would get the message if they didnt reply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david mackay
United Kingdom
WARWICK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Trade Proposals
Climbs into the pulpit)I consider it bad manners and also against the spirit of this site not to reply, and politely, to any trade offer, even a crap one, from a fellow enthusiast who in all fairness may not actually realise that his/her proposal is, shall we say, inadequate. At various times I have made about three reasonable, as I thought, offers to which I received no response. I know that after three days an offer lapses anyway, but I still think there is no excuse for not acknowledging the signal, assuming you actually see it of course. Fortunately, two sealed deals and a purchase in the Market Place have restored my faith in the system. I have also had a couple of requests to trade items in my collection not listed for trade, which I have politely declined and not ignored, so I am not sitting in a glass house. (Sermon over, leaves pulpit).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Mills
Guernsey
Vale
msg tools
mbmbmb
Flags
I have suggested this before but not had a reply. It would be really usefull to have some indication of the country you live in for trade purposes.
When you have to search through 45 peeps from the USA to try and find 1 person from the UK to trade with it's quite a chore, postal costs being prohibitve for cross Atlantic trades!
I am sure some folk will be put off replying if they know it's not going to practical anyway.
It would save so much time and effort to perhaps have a little flag next to your profile.
Just a thought...

Alan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Johnson
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Probably my main reason for doing so is that I just don't want to deal with it. I prefer to give some reason for declining a trade, so it is not just a simple matter of clicking a few links. I like trading games and try to keep my want and trade lists as wide as my interests allow. I have found that probably a little more than half of trade proposals I have been involved with do not result in trades. I would only say that about half of those (1/4 of trades) involve one party or the other completely ignoring the proposal.

I've had 9 ignores 5 declines and 3 accepted. My original statistic was a bit off. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Sandall
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I try to always respond to trade proposals and most of my responses are polite dclines. I much prefer a personal note to the system generated offer and will always send one if I'm initiating or responding to an offer.

I think I missed one recently though and the trade offer expired before I had a chance to respond. So I decided that I didn't need to respond at that point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Johnson
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Do you really get that many trade requests that you couldn't spend 1-2 mins responding? I know I don't recieve that many, I actually send out many more trade requests than I recieve.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Thorp
United States
Granite Falls
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Come on! Come on! Come and get it, baby! Come on! I don't got all day! Come on! Come on! Come on you bastard! Come on, you too! Oh, you want some of this? "
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks deemac
Exactly what I wanted to say. I've screwed up a couple of times and haven't responded to a trade proposal. No excuse. If you don't like the proposal, decline it. Or come up with a counter proposal. Or whatever! There's no point in being rude. That said, I must say that I've always gotten a response to any trade proposal I've made.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Johnson
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Exactly what I wanted to say. I've screwed up a couple of times and haven't responded to a trade proposal. No excuse. If you don't like the proposal, decline it. Or come up with a counter proposal. Or whatever! There's no point in being rude. That said, I must say that I've always gotten a response to any trade proposal I've made.

Well then maybe it's just me...do i look untrustworthy???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.