GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,575 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Diamant» Forums » Variants

Subject: Another 2-player variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Hannes
United States
New Windsor
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I just introduced Incan Gold to my 5-year old and she loves it, but mommy isn't always available to play, so we came up with a simple idea for a third player which preserves the uncertainty of having a real opponent...

Create a deck for the third player (we call him Dirk) with the six remaining "Stay" cards and one "Leave" card. Dirk gets his share of the treasure just like the other players, and each turn determines if he'll stay or leave by drawing a random card from that deck.

Use the following guidelines when drawing from Dirk's deck:

* Do not draw for Dirk until there is at least one hazard and he has at least one treasure OR there is an artifact or at least three treasures in the temple

* Every time a hazard is revealed, permanently remove one "Stay" card from Dirk's deck.

* Reshuffle Dirk's deck each turn (So at the start there will be 6 Stay and 1 Leave cards every turn until the first hazard, then 5/1 until the second hazard, then 4/1, etc.)

In all other respects, treat Dirk as a normal player. If he's the only one who leaves and there are artifacts in the temple, he gets them. If he leaves with someone else, no one gets them, and he splits any spoils upon leaving just like other players.

And that's it. Works great, and it can even be a challenge if the human players take too many risks. One game Dirk beat both me and my daughter. Crafty robot!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
H'mmm. Great idea. Perhaps simpler alternate, that needs a die: After there is at least one hazard and one gold card flipped, roll the die. If the number is at or below the number of treasure cards, or at or below the number of hazard cards, then dirk leaves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Peoble
United States
Sahuarita
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the great idea for a two player variant!

My wife and I tried this out tonight but with a dice. Overall, we found this method of play worked fairly decently and we enjoyed the 2-player game. Using the dice made the game move a little bit faster than reshuffling a deck for Dirk every turn.

The order of play went as follows:

* Once the first hazard appeared, we started rolling the die for Dirk
* We would both show our player cards
* We would roll the die for Dirk
* Dirk would stay as long as the number rolled was less then or equal to 6 minus the number of hazards showing (e.g. if only a single hazard was showing, Dirk stayed on a roll of 5 or less; if 3 hazards were showing, Dirk stayed on a roll of 3 or less, etc.)
* Play would continue on as per the normal game rules

Dirk was perhaps a bit too conservative with this algorithm (he almost always left the temple before we did) but his risk tolerance could easily be modified by adjusting the number of hazards showing before you start decrementing the required "stay" die roll.

Thank again for the variant idea!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Taylor
England
Scarborough
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
peoblej wrote:
Thanks for the great idea for a two player variant!

My wife and I tried this out tonight but with a dice. Overall, we found this method of play worked fairly decently and we enjoyed the 2-player game. Using the dice made the game move a little bit faster than reshuffling a deck for Dirk every turn.

The order of play went as follows:

* Once the first hazard appeared, we started rolling the die for Dirk
* We would both show our player cards
* We would roll the die for Dirk
* Dirk would stay as long as the number rolled was less then or equal to 6 minus the number of hazards showing (e.g. if only a single hazard was showing, Dirk stayed on a roll of 5 or less; if 3 hazards were showing, Dirk stayed on a roll of 3 or less, etc.)
* Play would continue on as per the normal game rules

Dirk was perhaps a bit too conservative with this algorithm (he almost always left the temple before we did) but his risk tolerance could easily be modified by adjusting the number of hazards showing before you start decrementing the required "stay" die roll.

Thank again for the variant idea!

Most players won't leave with only one hazard out. You should really start rolling or turning cards for Dirk once a second hazard is drawn or 1 hazard and an artifact.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K
Australia
Colonel Light Gardens
SA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tried out this variant with the wife and the bot beat us 91 to 72 (wife) to 58 (me). Only started rolling after the second hazard appeared. Makes for a pretty decent 2-player experience that still kept the push your luck mechanic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jochen Bünnagel
Germany
68259 Mannheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Dirk would stay as long as the number rolled was less then or equal to 6 minus the number of hazards showing (e.g. if only a single hazard was showing, Dirk stayed on a roll of 5 or less; if 3 hazards were showing, Dirk stayed on a roll of 3 or less, etc.)

You can eliminate the "six minus" calculation by modifying the rule so that Dirk will leave if he rolls less than or equal to the number of hazards that are out. We just played two games where he had to roll strictly less than the number of hazards and Dirk came in second both times, so that seems to be a good balance for us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.