GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,656 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Steam» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Steam: The game in my collection that doesn't get enough attention. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Philip Pack
Canada
Nanaimo
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've owned Steam since this past Christmas. I was very excited for receiving this gift, it was quite high up on my list. But that Christmas I was spoiled with board games... Steam, Ticket to Ride and Agricola. Ticket to Ride (due to accessibility) and Agricola (due to the theme and deep strategy) have both received more action then Steam. This will have been my 3rd game of steam since adding it to my collection... and this is just unfortunate as it is a very good game.

Yesterday I (Phil) played this with my Girlfriend (Heather), her Sister (Shannon) and their Mother (Rhonda). Heather had played this once with me before. Only took about 10 minutes to describe the basics... started with the objective of delivering goods, how track building works (costs), how the money track works, how to score points (and move back up the money track) and lastly we described the 7 action tiles. There wasn't very much confusion... so we started the game.

Lots of track building early in the game. But Shannon had decided to seclude her building to only 3 parts between 3 major cities... she never grew past these 3 tracks, except a 4th on the last turn to get one extra VP... her engine also never grew past level 3... this strategy didn't work out. Heather, Rhonda and I all had 7 or 8 track sections completed by the end of the game. Rhonda and I were able to get goods moving that maximum 6 spaces... sometimes all for our own profit, some times giving away only 1.

End of the game VP was fairly close. Everyone was within 10 points before counting the money track and completed track sections. Shannon only had 4 tracks, but did get 3VP from the money track (+7). Rhonda had 8 comlete track pieces and 3VP from the money track (+7). Heather had 7 track pieces and 2VP from the money track (+4). I had 8 track pieces and 1VP from money track (+2). Final score had me winning with 45 points, Heather behind me with 42, Rhonda close with 40, and Shannon back with 32.

It was a very close game. We all enjoyed the game. Rhonda said she enjoyed the strategy aspect of the game... this was her first euro-style game ever, and I think I may have someone else aboard to get away from the luck-heavy 'ameritrash' games they are so familiar with. Shannon even though taking last place did enjoy this, and will change her strategy next time around. Heather and I still really enjoy this game. I'm almost wanting to upgrade my BGG rating from 8 to 9... it really is a great game. I hope this game gets more action, it is really sad that this is only it's 3rd play in 7 months.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Phillips
United States
Quincy
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DjFIL wrote:
I'm almost wanting to upgrade my BGG rating from 8 to 9...

I found, for me, that it became a 10 after 5 plays or so...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Instant 6 for me, but I prefer aos. Philip, I really like seeing a final game state photo in these session reports. You can upload the photos to your personal gallery so no geek mod required. I think they help convey the game state well, particularly in aos-family games.

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Pack
Canada
Nanaimo
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'll try and remember to pull out my iPhone camera for other sessions. I usually try to, but it was late and we were all ready for bed and forgot to. I'll have to check in to the differences in AOS vs. Steam. I'm only playing the base rules too... may move to the 'full' rules soon... but we're all currently happy with how it plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DjFIL wrote:
I'll try and remember to pull out my iPhone camera for other sessions. I usually try to, but it was late and we were all ready for bed and forgot to. I'll have to check in to the differences in AOS vs. Steam. I'm only playing the base rules too... may move to the 'full' rules soon... but we're all currently happy with how it plays.

The base rules are certainly a reason to have Steam around. iPhone photos can provide a perfectly servicable image of what happened in the game if you steady your hand and have some light. I've used them multiple times in session reports (and forgot because it was late, even more times!)

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have found that the basic game is better than the standard game. The auction works poorly because the worth of the different roles is slightly out of wack in that format.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
agent easy wrote:
I have found that the basic game is better than the standard game. The auction works poorly because the worth of the different roles is slightly out of wack in that format.

I'm certainly much more inclined to play it again with the basic game, maybe with some of the Bezier low-player-count maps.

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Young
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Old Ways Are Best!
badge
Check Six!
mbmbmbmbmb
agent easy wrote:

Not sure what you are getting at here. The basic game assigns turn order for the next turn according to the role you pick this turn. This does not allow any "re-valuing" of the roles as the game progresses. Each of the roles has a changing value throughout the game. Only the auction mechanic allows players to do this re-evaluation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.