Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: The Geek is an Amazing Place rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mary Weisbeck
United States
Black Hawk
South Dakota
flag msg tools
"Blow up the damned ship, Jean-Luc!"
mbmbmbmbmb
The BoardGameGeek is a place where diverse people from all over the world are brought together by a common interest—the love of board games, specifically strategy games. We come to find answers and opinions, and to share our experiences about board games. But that’s not what makes BGG amazing as many sites fill that niche for people of different interests.

What makes the Geek amazing is the feeling of family that you get when you’re here. We come here to seek support or share our happiness in various other aspects of our lives as well: the birth of a baby, the loss of a beloved pet or best friend, the trials of buying or selling a house, a technical problem with our computer. We come here to share something that has made us happy, sad, angry, puzzled or when we just feel cranky for no reason at all. And there is ALWAYS someone there for you.

There are the occasional spats between siblings, which are usually settled amicably but can get out of hand sometimes. Then Dad steps in and says, “Knock it off. Don’t make me come in there!” But Dad also listens to our complaints and suggestions and will make changes to our home if they are feasible and sensible.

So as the year draws to a close I wish to say thank you to the "Dads" and my "siblings" for a wonderful year of games, laughter, tears and friendship.

Happy New Year to all, and may the next year be even better, filled with more laugh and meeple, and less cry.

P.S. To those of my siblings who think this is too sappy or who disagree and wish to submit a complaint, send your message to TheHeadPoop@NobodysListening.com.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
How touching! Can we play Trias now?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I got Trias for Xmas! Woohoo Trias!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
June King
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Bring me her heart in this box.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well said Mary.

All the best to you too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff DeBoer
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree Wholeheartedly
With so many opportunities to play great board games with friends and online these days, a community like this is trully a resource for us all.

I agree with the spirit of your message as I'm sure most of us "game geeks" do. Despite our differences of opinion from time to time....I'm in on the group hug thing.

Don't know how many times I've been on BSW playing Puerto Rico/Princes of Florence or Kardinal and Konig with three people from Singapore, Germmany and France and I'm here in little 'ol Oregon amazed at what we are doing with the help of modern technology.

Stumbled across the free Tigris and Euphrates gaming area on this site last week, which I would like to invite any of you to try by contacting me at Nishikawa-collector here on BGG or by e-mail at jeffmedford@hotmail.com and I'll join you in a "learning" game or challenge the veterans that haven't tried the wonderful on-line version right here on our own very site.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know there are some who cringe when some of the rest of us talk about 'community' in here...as they suppose that is diametrically opposed to having a functional site. The Geek has also passed some kind of critical mass for membership this past few months and has undergone some type of metamorphosis. Add to that the turmoil that the recent elections wreaked in the USA (not talking about Ukraine thank goodness) which spilled over even into the gentle places of the Geek.

But she is unsinkable! The Geek may change (and it HAS) but it continues to be a fantastic website. Gamers are a good lot to start with...and the Geek only serves to reinforce that for me. I'm not sure my favorite incarnation of the Geek will ever return (or whether it ever really existed except in my mind) but I still love the Geek for what it is. I enjoy reading information and questions not from fellow-posters...but from friends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald McDaniel
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It Is Amazing
sodaklady -- Although I've only been on BGG a few months, I have enjoyed your journals and comments very much. I hope you have a great 2005.

I echo your sentiments. When I think about this subject, it blows me away to consider how far we have come in the area of online communications in such a short time. There could only be a few of you here who know what it feels like to find a site like this when you are 61 years old. Where was the Internet and BGG when I was 20, 30, 40, even 50? Oh, yeah, for most of those years, neither of them existed. For those of you currently at those ages, think what it would be like if neither the web nor BGG yet was available to you.... Boy, do I have lots to be thankful for, and so do you!

meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver PhoDOGrapher
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Happy New Year, Mary!
Yep, I often think back to days, no years, when all I knew about games and their availability was what was on the shelves at the little game stores in the little towns I lived in AND word of mouth from a small group of players.

This site and I believe it is as much a community as an informational site has expanded my awareness of games and gamers world wide.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Myers
United States
Madison
WI
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tried to email the The Head Poop..
but it bounced back undeliverable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Henke
United States
Maple Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with you whole heartedly.

It's my favorite spot to check in on in my day. Thank you to everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becky Zamborsky
United States
Berea
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A very Happy New Year to you too Sodaklady. I do enjoy reading your BGG submissions and after your hearty recommendation of Trias, it's in the mail to our household now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Palfreyman
United Kingdom
Swindon
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Speaking as a relative newcomer...
...I would like to see BGG closed down with immediate effect in order to contain its detrimental effect on my bank balance!

...seriously, though, I've frequented this place more and more over recent months and weeks and have found that besides being an invaluable source of reference material for the game addict it is frequented by some very fine people!

Happy new year to you all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve H
United States
Addison
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have a great 2005 Mary! What game do you expect will perk your interest?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
yeah yeah
"Merry NEW Year! Would you like some Beef Jerky? I have plenty, you know"

Sorry if I can't commiserate with those folks that are undergoing the 'Winter Blues'(it's ONLY been below freezing a couple of nights here in lil ole Aberdeen, WA state) and we ain't got so much as a single 'Snowflake' dropp'd upon us. I wish you ALL well, good tidings, a safe travel 'Home', decent 'Tunes' on the radio to hasten your journey, and 'Goodwill towards Beasts'! Take carecool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary Weisbeck
United States
Black Hawk
South Dakota
flag msg tools
"Blow up the damned ship, Jean-Luc!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really looking forward to Louis XIV--it sounds like it has just the right amount of depth for me and my family.

I also have some interest in Rheinlander, which looks like it's being reprinted since Boulder has it on the Coming Soon list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
solstice
Happy New Year Mary. We've already passed the Winter Solstice, the days only get longer now. The bulbs are pushing up, soon we'll see the snowdrops, then the daffodils. Happy days, another summer to enjoy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.