Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
20 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: OT: LOTR Movies rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Brazee
United States
Green Bay
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Well, rave on Its a crazy feeling and I know its got me reeling
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last week I got the Return of the King extended verison to complete the set. (I got it for free but that is another story) My wife said she would be willing to sit down and watch the movies with me and my daughter as a family event. I figure we could watch one each Sunday for the next 3 weeks. Question - Since my wife is not a fan of LOTR, never read the books or even seen any of the movies, how do I "prepare" her for the experience? What I am trying to avoid is her getting up in the middle of the first movie and saying I can't follow any of this and walk away. Is there anywhere on the net that has a LOTR primer with pictures of the actors in the movies? I think she would be willing to "learn" the background and characters for 10 or 15 minutes before watching the first movie.

Any suggestions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will (JR) Todd
United States
Clearwater
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just start the darn movie. If she is going to sit through it, she will. If not, what are you going to do: Tie her to the chair??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Real and Only
United States
Aubrey
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
It is a Movie
It is a Movie. The Movies do well at telling the story without the need of any background. My wife did not read or know about any of the books and was captured by the first movie and loved all three.

I do not think you need your wife to study for these movies before watching them.

Just watch them and enjoy them.

In my oppinion they are the best trilogy done on film.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
June King
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Bring me her heart in this box.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes you just have to let art wash over you. If she's going to like them, she's going to like them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MK
United States
Coshocton
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think reading the Hobbit is a good way too... it introduces Gandalf and Bilbo and the general Middle Earth world, explains how Bilbo got his ring, and so on. With that as your intro, getting into the movies should be little problem - the intro to FOTR explains the ring itself, you get a brief synopsis of how Bilbo got the ring, and then it goes into Bilbo writing his book, with a section on Hobbits, and then introduces Frodo and his relationship to Gandalf. It'll suck them right in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien G.
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The LOTR movies were made to accommodate the clueless people anyway. Just press play; she'll get all the info she needs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
admin
Convention Committee
badge
BGG.CON! BGG.CON SPRING! BGG@SEA!
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer this case.... http://anakinou.com/albums/Misc/LotR_case.jpg

Got it for the wife for Christmas...nice, colorful, sturdy aluminum...very nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien G.
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I meant "people clueless about the LOTR story" of course. Sorry if my previous post sounded harsh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien G.
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Hey! Nice case!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Palfreyman
United Kingdom
Swindon
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
How about you...
...sit her down with a copy of The Silmarillion. That should do the trick! devil

Seriously, I would just go with letting the quality of the films speak for themselves (but it wouldn't do any harm to fit a pre-emptive door lock. )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brazee
United States
Green Bay
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Well, rave on Its a crazy feeling and I know its got me reeling
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks
Thanks for your help. I will give it a try. Maybe I will get bold and suggest that we watch all 3 in a row. Over 11 hours of family time! We will see if we can hold up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Court
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, I think if you want to make sure she is amenable to the whole experience, you might try watching one DVD per night (as oppossed to one movie). In other words, you would be watching half of the flick at a time.

That's still an average of 1.5+ hours per half... and the breaks in between the DVDs are well done (the scenes end with tensions, but aren't in the middle of crucial scenes).

When ROTK came out, we sat down and watched them from start to finish, 1 movie a night for 3 nights in a row. As much as there were heavy fans of the movies and LOTR in general, sitting for 11+ hours over 3 nights was trying the patience of some.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Farrell
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a big LOTR fan, and I couldn't watch all 3 back-to-back. The Extended Editions are really long, and it might even make sense to break them up over two nights ... half of an EE viewing is still about one typical movie! RotK EE in particular is so long, we didn't watch it right the way through even the first time.

I agree with the rest who say no background or prep work should be needed. While I'm often distrubed at the way some of my favorite characters have been eviscerated (particularly Frodo and Denethor, the latter of whom was practically unwatchable), OTOH flatting them out makes them easier to absorb.

Boromir might have actually been a more interesting character in the film than in the books, though. Especially in the EE.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve H
United States
Addison
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
those less than ardent LotR fans
Buddy has a good question, and it may have been missed by most of the respondents. For someone who knows nothing about the Shire, Gandalf, etc., LotR could be too much to ask to just sit down and enjoy. Case in point is my 30something brother. He enjoys a good action flick like most others. However 30 minutes into tFotR, he was totally lost. When I asked him about it, he just indicated he knew nothing of hobbits, and expected DragonSlayer. Too much Aesop's fables for him. He didn't even bother watching tTT or tRotK.

My advice, and I'm sure your wife will not be as cynical nor is as stubborn as my brother, would be to rent the animated Hobbit, and maybe a brief synopsis of the good vs evil humanoids that inhabit middle earth. Give her something as a primer.

Good luck.

Here's a thought. Who else would be willing to spend a marathon Sat or Sun viewing all three movies if offered as a limited release in theaters?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gilbert
United States
Summit
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a big LoTR fan, but believe it or not I don't yet own any of the DVDs.

I see now that Amazon has the full set of EE DVDs (in the slip case!) for $77.98.

I'm just a click or two away from 12 discs of goodness...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MK
United States
Coshocton
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve,

I would do it, but only if the M&Ms were really chocolate-covered No-Doze.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JEREMY PAQUETTE
United States
ATTLEBORO
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife had never read the books prior to seeing the movie. She didn't have any trouble following the films. After the movie, she went right to the bookshelf and read all three books through. Now she's a true fan.

The point is, let the film stand on its own merits. If you try to build up the whole mythology, and point out all the stuff that isn't in the movie, and overwhelm her with the whole 'Experience!' then you're asking for trouble. It's just another movie when it comes down to it... she'll either enjoy it, or she won't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
I truly SEE the problem
lazy...lazy...lazy, it is apparently clear to ME, since SOME people can't even take the time to READ up on this 'stuff'. I have READ the books on certain Movies, well before EVER seeing those, and for others, I'd find and READ the books AFTER seeing the Movie. When I had seen the 2nd "L.o.t.R." Movie, I decided to re-read "The Hobbit" in order to gird myself for a possible '4th' epic film version. I managed to accomplish this in just over '6' & 1/2-hours with a couple of breaks in between, but I enjoyed this, never the less. So, for those LEAST inclined to devote the proper 'time and effort' for literature, there IS 'Books on Tape' or CD or whatever medium is preferred today. Do it for the FUN of this, or just as 'needed', but, "Just Do IT some"(registered 'Trademark' of "Snipey" Footwear & Clothing MADE by sanctioned 'Sweatshops' everywhere!)
surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fee Weasel
United States
Lake Jackson
Texas
flag msg tools
…so do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.
badge
...some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way...
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
My wife had never read the books prior to seeing the movie. She didn't have any trouble following the films. After the movie, she went right to the bookshelf and read all three books through. Now she's a true fan.

The point is, let the film stand on its own merits. If you try to build up the whole mythology, and point out all the stuff that isn't in the movie, and overwhelm her with the whole 'Experience!' then you're asking for trouble. It's just another movie when it comes down to it... she'll either enjoy it, or she won't.

Same here at my house. My wife knew nothing of Bilbo and Middle Earth until she watched the movies. She is almost done reading the books and loves the movies. She says the EE versions are the ones that people should watch, she feels they helped here understand more of what was going on than the original releases.

The biggest thing that I can think of that my wife had trouble with at first was keeping Saruman and Sauron separate, not their appearance but the names.

Good Luck
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My 9-11 year old and wife did ok with little to no pre-movie preparation. Another friend watched with her 9 year old and planned to (and did) pause the movie when a question arose.

My daughter and I watched the entire EE of RotK last night/early this morning. Only break was to change CD's (and grab a beer).

Happy Viewing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.