GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,304 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
23 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Neuroshima Hex! 3.0» Forums » General

Subject: Player's Almanac - Tactics Needed! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michal Herda
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm working on Player's Almanac at the moment, and I would like to ask you, BGG community, for some help.

You see, I'd like to see your tactics for each army. Your ways of playing them, your nifty and/or dirty tricks you frequently use when playing that or another set of Neuroshima Hex tiles. I'd like to ask you to send me PMs with tactics you use when playing one or more of the armies I'm going to include in the Almanac, so I can put the tactics in appropriate armies' sections. Not any giant stuff, a paragraph or two describing the basics will do.

It's one of the things I can't do myself, because, well, I don't want this manual to be just me ranting about armies all the time.

So spend a quarter, write me something about your favorite/favorites/all armies you know about and send it by GeekMail!

Do it. Now.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
By the way, the list of armies I'm going to include for sure is:

* Eight Portal armies (Outpost, Borgo, Moloch, Hegemony, Neojungle, New York, SMART, Vegas)
* MOracz's Doomsday Machine
* MichallusTG's Mephisto (guess why!)
* Mar_cus's Appalachian Federation
* RustanR's Dancer
* RustanR's Vermelius
* RustanR's Super Mutant Killer Bunnies (they were too cute.)

The armies I'd like to include:

* spindisc's Insectoids (waiting for clearing out a few rules)
* abodi's Zombies (waiting for permission/balancing)
* Paprotek's Sand Runners (waiting for images)
* Cornelius's Uranopolis (searching for images)
* Muoteck's Salt Lake City (waiting for permission)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal Herda
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, guys. Really no one wants to contribute?

Write your favorite tactics up, seriously. Let's make this manual as good as possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love to, but honestly don't have enough FTF game time for being of any use just yet

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
MichallusTG wrote:

Write your favorite tactics up, seriously. Let's make this manual as good as possible.

I don't really think in terms of different strategies for specific armies, I guess... other than pretty obvious stuff like "Try to get the 3-damage netfighters attacking the enemy HQ, and put other units around them to protect them from getting killed off before they can attack".

Some overall principles that leap to mind and are probably pretty obvious, but since you ask for ideas...

It rarely seems worthwhile holding onto tiles waiting for "the right moment" to play them. Better to just get as many units onto the board as you can; they is strength in numbers.

If you can see the game is approaching the end, it's usually best to simply hit the enemy HQ and not worry about trying to kill other enemy units.

Scatter your shooters around the board so that it's harder for the opponent to attack several of them with a single unit. Also having lines of fire coming from various directions can help ensure that at least some of the shooters are still targeting the enemy HQ even if it moves.

If you have a chance to cause a battle, and the battle would do more damage to the enemy than to you (or even do equal damage but you're winning) then go ahead and do the battle, unless you've got some REALLY good other 2 actions to do instead. Better to gain a little on the enemy now than to hope to increase the margin and do the battle later, because lots of stuff can change in the meantime.

Uh, OK, that's all that comes to my head right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
Welcome to the finals of the 43rd Stare Out Tournament. Press Esc to start.
mb
MichallusTG wrote:

I'd love to, but it feels like giving tips on soccer to Pelé. My two favorites are DDM and Mephisto. You fathered Meph, and wrote a fucking book about DDM tactics, left me with nothing. All my other famous tactics are rather fuckups due to misunderstood rules.
It would be easier to let us see what you've got, and we can that add anything we feel left out, rather just to write some random general tactics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bracco
United States
Little Neck
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Is this Almanac still happening? I only have played a few times, but one series of moves that really amazed me occurred during a three-player death match between Moloch, Borgo and Hegemony. Mad Bomber was in play during this game.

Initially I had been winning the hell out of this game by placing my Hegemony HQ one hex away from Moloch so I could prevent him from taking advantage of his range bonus. I simply netted it, surrounded it and proceeded to pound on it, preventing any units from receiving its bonus. Borgo was all the way on the other side of the board, so I wasn't too worried about him. He would have to contend with my strength bonus if he wanted to attack me. Mad bomber went off maybe once or twice, but hadn't caused much damage.

All of a sudden, Moloch made a really great move, and managed to wedge his netter into a corner with his back to a friendly unit and his net protecting one side of the base. The moloch netter is able to aim his net north and east, so if placed in the right area he could potentially camp there for the whole game...and that he did, considering this is Borgo and Hegemony we are talking about. Few ranged attackers and I wasn't drawing any push tiles. This allowed Moloch to have some breathing room as his base could no longer be attacked from the north or the east.

At some point the mad bomber ended up netted. Not sure who did it but probably moloch. At any rate, if Mad bomber or any exploding unit is netted when it dies, it does not self destruct (or maybe the explosion is just contained or something).

The Mad bomber tile got passed to me on my next draw. I proceeded to place it near by my HQ, thinking it would be a good buffer as everyone was too afraid to attack it. Explosions do not harm HQs either. Unfortunately, Moloch then placed a clown next to the mad bomber, and detonated it, thereby creating a double explosion. In the ensuing chaos, 9 hexes were hit and my attacking force was leveled. I still had a unit or two left, but at this point Moloch was able to place new units he had had in his hand. Now that his base was secure, he could launch a full-scale counter attack on me.

Borgo ended up stealing the game from under both of us. But Moloch managed to take me from the lead down about 10 points to his level very quickly.

This was probably my favorite match-up to date even though I lost.

So to sum things up, these are the strategies that came up during this game.

Borgo Player:
Sensing an impending conflict and building away from it.

Hegemony Player:
Netting an HQ to allow camping next to it.
Preventing Moloch from taking advantage of range bonus by building close to it (and building next to enemy base to take advantage of Hegemony melee strength bonus).
Using Mad Bomber as buffer for HQ.

Moloch Player:
Placing the netter in a corner.
Double explosion technique. I suppose if he had drawn airstrike he could've made a triple explosion. YIKES!

Needless to say, we have been playing the vampire variant since.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panagiotis Zinoviadis
Greece
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Among the Stars:The Ambassadors
mbmbmbmbmb
Basic Outpost opening. Place the Hq one hex inwards from the outer ring of the boar, on a fire line facing exactly opposite the enemy HQ, as far away from the opposing Hq as possible. The idea is to place the first long range shooter with more than one attacks or preferably with more than 1 attack power, behind your HQ, thus targeting the enemy Hq with double action, and only two hexes open to threaten him with his front covered by your HQ.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal Herda
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it's still happening. Kinda slowly, but.

Thanks for the input.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.