GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,496 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
13 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Which Conflict of Heroes? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hey there again.

I'm new to war games and id like to add one to my collection.

Thinking Conflict of heroes...

The question is which one? They both look awesome, and great for introduction into war gaming.

Anyone suggest either? Maybe you have something else completely different to throw at me?

Thanks.

-Rotten Jeeves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex H.
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
welcome your reptilian overlords!
mbmbmbmbmb
Not the ideal candidate to answer your question since I played only the first. It is a very good tactical wargame. My understanding is that Kursk adds a few layers of complexity. So as an introduction to the genre you won't go wrong with Awakening of the Bear. But maybe someone more expert will provide a more educated suggestion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Madhujith Venkatakrishna
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you considered Commands & Colors: Ancients- awesome war games with lots of scenarios and expansions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
United States
Plainfield
ILLINOIS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Both are great so it depends on which battles you are interested in. Even if you buy the first in the series, the new updated rules are available for free both on this site and on Academy games (check often because they update frequently) so you can't go wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malte Menger
Germany
Nürnberg
Germany
flag msg tools
Mountainbike
badge
Roadbike
mbmbmbmbmb
there are several threads on this topic. even though bgg's search engine is very bad I'm confident you will get your informations nevertheless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dustin boggs
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
these are my overtexts and
badge
now I am without geek gold :(
mbmbmbmbmb
I would start with kursk because it has the updated rules AND the counters to match.

I will also mention that like you I started with conflict of heroes but after a handful of plays we tried combat commander and I haven't touched coh since. The rules are roughly the same complexity but with CC you don't have the abstractness of caps and management of the points. It is more direct and the story from the game play is much better. I will also add that combat commander has become my favorite game and the only game I get the urge to play even if I had just played last night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmb
ramkitty wrote:
I would start with kursk because it has the updated rules AND the counters to match.

I will also mention that like you I started with conflict of heroes but after a handful of plays we tried combat commander and I haven't touched coh since. The rules are roughly the same complexity but with CC you don't have the abstractness of caps and management of the points. It is more direct and the story from the game play is much better. I will also add that combat commander has become my favorite game and the only game I get the urge to play even if I had just played last night.

Now you have me torn between those two, I take weeks to decide as is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dustin boggs
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
these are my overtexts and
badge
now I am without geek gold :(
mbmbmbmbmb
Well this will help you decide if you like the play mechanics of combat commander
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/videos/thing/21050/combat-comma...

You love puerto rico so the cap action point mechanic may not be a negative for you but I grew tired and most importantly my main game partner did not like how it worked or rather couldn't use it well and got fed up.

also if you must have tanks or trucks get CoH as CC has none.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmb
ramkitty wrote:
Well this will help you decide if you like the play mechanics of combat commander
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/videos/thing/21050/combat-comma...

You love puerto rico so the cap action point mechanic may not be a negative for you but I grew tired and most importantly my main game partner did not like how it worked or rather couldn't use it well and got fed up.

also if you must have tanks or trucks get CoH as CC has none.

I went with conflict of heroes: Kursk. Seemed to be more noob freindly. I also liked the components better.

Thanks for help guys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmb
will do...

cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.