GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,527 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
13 Days Left

Support:

Alexander A Person
msg tools
One of the nice things about playing solo is that you get to make mistakes without feeling too bad about it.

In this game, on turn 1 Italy DoW on the allies -- and Yugoslavia. When I drew the Mussolini chit in Winter and Italy also DoW on Greece, I shifted too many forces to that front (which already had 2-3 German tanks assisting) and then when I took my turn as UK, I realized I could land in Rome, which was defended by a 2 strength INF and a 9 factor fleet.

The Italian fleet did some damage to the UK navy, but the British took Rome -- and in an unlikely gamble that succeeded, I sent the Greek army to take Albania. When I rolled a 4 for Italy, it was doomed.

Germany did take Holland, Denmark, Poland, Belgium, and later France (another low roll doomed France). The UK took Libya -- and then I drew the Oil Strike.

Turkey decided they hated Russia, so Russia invaded it to harm that nation's economy. The invasion from the Caucasus is slow due to mountains, but the Istanbul will be nearly impossible to take until Bulgaria becomes an ally of Russia instead of just a client.

Russia, which had some spare BRPs, was able to get Sweden hostile to Germany, but Sweden has not decided to break off relations just yet.

The fall of Italy meant that Franco should remain neutral throughout the war, so Gibraltar is likely safe.

With Italy out of the game, Vichy seems likely to eventually go for the allies, but not soon.

It's Spring 1941.

BRP counts are: GER: 269, UK 206 (!), SSR 165, Turks 14. All others neutral or conquered.

The Germans have to try a massive air campaign against the UK in three turns. They will try to control the North Sea and also land the Para in Britain. The UK has interlocking air, sub, and CV for anti-invasion defense. Since SURF does not get to seek out LCs, the air and sub fleets are better for anti-invasion defense. I don't think that the UK can control the North Sea _and_ block an airborne invasion.

OTOH, Germany only gets to use both PARA on one turn per year.

The UK has almost no forces in North Africa (except for colonials) and most of its troops are facing north, mostly in the mountains above Rome. Russia hopes to conquer Turkey before 1942 -- but if not, to control a sufficient number of cities that the Turks will be unable to build units (with the Turkish infantry advantage, that will not be easy).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander A Person
msg tools
Well that ended early, towards the end of 1942. One turn before the US entered the war, Germany had 4 cities in the UK (Scotland area) and lost one to a counterattack. I rolled a "4" for the surrender roll (again), so the UK barely survived.

At the end of the war, Finland and Spain and Vichy France were all UK allies. Sweden had been a UK ally until Churchill decided to invade Norway and then Sweden went neutral. Hungary was a German ally and Bulgaria was a Soviet ally.

How do you allocate objective cities in a conquered Germany? I ignored them, and so the Soviets won a greater victory than US/UK.

Also, when Vichy is a US ally, does it turn into France with the French BRP base when the Allies take Paris?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Brown
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

A bit late to this forum but great report.

I recently got this sim and this crazy alt-history session makes me want to get it on the table!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.