GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,415 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

The Scepter of Zavandor» Forums » Variants

Subject: Speedier Variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Darin Stephenson
United States
Holland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
I do not run and hide... I strategically maneuver.
mbmbmbmbmb
You are of course welcome to play the game in whatever way is fun for you. I would think that this idea would put the cost of sentinels out of line with the other artifacts and ruin the game designer's intent. If sentinels are too easy to get, it will lead to some unexpected (perhaps even broken) paths to victory depending on the starting abilities. That is just my 2c -- As I say, do what you enjoy!

-Darin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All of the gems are viable, it just takes experience to make them work. I've played a lot of Scepter with cutthroat players.

I do think you've identified one of the issues that puts people off the game, which is that the game slows to a crawl if players don't know how to drive it forward.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Bracey
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools

My suspicion after my game was that dust slowed the whole thing down, it adds too many tiresome calculations without serving any purpose. I suspect it could have been eliminated from the game design entirely (along with the gem counters) to leave players just with gem cards and the game would have flowed far better thus being much quicker. I couldn't suggest anyone to house rule that into existence as I suspect it would require a lot of thought and effort.

Robert

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Stephenson
United States
Holland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
I do not run and hide... I strategically maneuver.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've not found the dust to be too hard to manage -- but the lack of 1 denominated dust is often troublesome. Before getting rid of dust entirely, I'd recommend just adding some 1s using poker chips, and making exact change for everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Roy
United Kingdom
Sutton
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want a quicker two player game I suggest keeping the sentinels at the same price but ending the game when three have been bought rather than five.

I doubt that you'll have the same experience with more players. Even with three players one player may not get a second sentinel before the game ends.

I also suggest adjusting your tactics so that you don't wait for all of the artifacts to run out until buying sentinels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goldfarb
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RobertBr wrote:

My suspicion after my game was that dust slowed the whole thing down, it adds too many tiresome calculations without serving any purpose. I suspect it could have been eliminated from the game design entirely (along with the gem counters) to leave players just with gem cards and the game would have flowed far better thus being much quicker.

The original game Outpost, which inspired Scepter, has no dust. It has no mechanism for making change at all...you pay with cards or placards, and if you don't have the right cards to make your bid you have to overpay.

Far from speeding things up, this slows them down considerably, as each time you have an auction you have to spend a bunch of time figuring out what bids you can make. (And, if you have other things you want to buy on your turn, what bids you can make while preserving the right card combinations to buy those things.)

I do agree that the lack of a 1 denomination is a mistake. But the dust itself is a step forward, in my opinion.

(Outpost, where Scepter has five different kinds of money, has somewhere around a dozen. This simplification is to my mind also an improvement.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.