Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
22 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: Geek Journal Diplomacy rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
I've been inspired by recent Journals in which various games were hosted and reported on.

So without further ado...

I'm looking for seven people to play diplomacy over the next few weeks (months?). I'll keep track of the positions and keep a map online, and also use my journal to post white and grey press. I won't take part in the game as a player, but I will post a journal entry with my thoughts and commentary each turn.

Turn deadlines will be every 2 days, with one day for builds/disbands/retreats. Country selection will be random after all seven players are signed up.

To make things interesting, entry stake will be 3 Geekgold per player. Prizes will be 1GG for each player that you survive longer than (i.e. a single winner would get 6GG, second place would get 5GG, but two surviving players in coalition would get 5 each).

Players eliminated in the same turn are deemed not to have survived longer than each other. This might mean that some GG gets left over. I'll divide it up equally between any surviving players at game end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Thorp
United States
Granite Falls
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Come on! Come on! Come and get it, baby! Come on! I don't got all day! Come on! Come on! Come on you bastard! Come on, you too! Oh, you want some of this? "
mbmbmbmbmb
Whoops!
I thought this would be a rant on the manners (and lack thereof) of some of the recent journal postings! laugh

Oh well... shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heh, not today.

Oh, but as an added incentive, I'll stake the 3GG for the first three players who sign up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Ben-Ezra
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm torn. I'd love to do it, but I've never played Dip before. Read the rules, but never played....

Should I have admitted this?

Seth Ben-Ezra
Great Wolf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What the hey
I'm in. Been a long time since I've played Dip, but it might be fun...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Necessary Evil
United States
Glen Arm
Maryland
flag msg tools
Yes, I play the Bass.
badge
Sweet Holy Moses, Fruit F*cker Prime!
mbmbmbmbmb
Count me in
I am in if you need players.. i have no Geek Gold

-M

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quote:
I'm torn. I'd love to do it, but I've never played Dip before. Read the rules, but never played....

Should I have admitted this?

Seth Ben-Ezra
Great Wolf

Well, playing in a public setting is probably a good idea, because you'll get plenty of advice.

However, now the sharks have got a whiff of blood

If you want in, you, Brad and Michael would get your stake covered by me. Let me know if you're in.

And www.diplom.org has some great references for each country and the game in general.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Ben-Ezra
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, I'm in. I'll be the helpless newbie that everyone can abuse.

Seth Ben-Ezra
Great Wolf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ok. 3 down, 4 to go!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff DeBoer
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Diplomacy--I'm In
Just dug out my old copy in the garage cabinet and blew off the dust and set it up on my dining room table. I'm in!! Been quite a while since I played...picked this copy up on e-bay over a year ago....my original is long gone like many of my originals other than Risk and Magic Realm, Battle Masters and Axis and Allies.

Keep me posted, as I will be a player for this one. Thank you for setting something like this up. My kind of fun. I'm assuming this will be a long term commitment and I'm ready....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Spade
United States
Elizabethtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I'll keep track of the positions and keep a map online, and also use my journal to post white and grey press.

Is all press public? Or do you allow private messages between players? If so, what's the medium (e.g., Geek email)? If not, I suppose that's enforced by the honor system, eh? (Normally not a problem for gamers, but Dip tends to warp players' ethics a little....)

Quote:
Turn deadlines will be every 2 days, with one day for builds/disbands/retreats.

Week days only, or 7 days/week?

Quote:
To make things interesting, entry stake will be 3 Geekgold per player. Prizes will be 1GG for each player that you survive longer than

Hmmmm. Sounds like you're going to take 21 gold in but give only 15 out. Maybe I should run a game too!

I'm not sure I want to play - I'm GG poor and have a rather low rate of income. Maybe I'll be a commentator. Do you allow public commentary? Some players don't like kibitzers....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MK
United States
Coshocton
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll join, let me know how to pay you the GG properly so that I'm in.

I will be relying on your online board, as my copy of Diplomacy went to the thrift store some years ago. But I still remember quite well how to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Hunt
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Sure, why not.
Haven't played for a couple of years, but would like to play.
~Simon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Spade
United States
Elizabethtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Sounds like you're going to take 21 gold in but give only 15 out.

Sorry, I miscounted. Never mind.... laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Merchant
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What a way to start the new year!
I'm in, especially if you need a player for Austria or Italy, or as a backup. Keep me posted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game Starting
We've got seven players. I've randomly assigned countries as follows:

1. GreatWolf - Germany
2. Windopaene - Italy
3. malloc - Russia
4. nishikawa-collector - England
5. kimapesan - France
6. simonh - Turkey
7. Natus - Austria

First moves will be due in 3 days at 7pm EST (the 1st. This should give people plenty of time for diploming, and recovering from hangovers to get the moves in.

Rules for press. Communication is allowed via geek email privately between players. Additionally, white press can be posted in my geek journal (I'll make one entry per game turn). Grey (anonymous) press can be sent to me, and I'll post it. Since we're playing with an audience, I encourage you to make frequent (once every turn or two) press. I'll also make comments after each set of moves.

I make a new journal entry in a minute or two with a map. If you're player number 4-7, send me 3GG at some point for prize money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Edlin
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mb

This sounds like a great idea. I suggest compiling regular Session Reports (one per turn, perhaps?).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Bailey Sr.
United States
Jonesborough
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oops
My luck always late to the table.

Terry Bailey Sr.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Smith
United States
Santa Ana
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Diplomacy? -- Machiavelli
"Diplomacy" is not my cup of tea, but if you ever want to do the same thing with "Machiavelli", Count Me In!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John So-And-So
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
You and the Cap'n make it hap'n
mbmbmbmbmb
If there's still room to join, I'd be happy to play! Diplomacy is my all-time favorite game (I have it rated as a "10", as you can see). I'd love to take part - so let me know!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Second Game
I have no objections to running a second game if there are enough interested people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Necessary Evil
United States
Glen Arm
Maryland
flag msg tools
Yes, I play the Bass.
badge
Sweet Holy Moses, Fruit F*cker Prime!
mbmbmbmbmb
Russia
Greetings to all nations of Europe from Russia.
The Russian people are interested only in killing all other nations peace. Please ignore the invasion force military exercises on your borders. I have sent all of you a case of Poison Vodka to show the peaceful intentions of the Russian people.

-Tsar Malloc

Good luck everyone lets keep this game fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.