GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,948 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Leaping Lemmings» Forums » General

Subject: C'mon GMT!!! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David G. Cox Esq.
Australia
Lighthouse Beach
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Do what you can, with what you've got, where you are.
mbmbmbmbmb
I was having my third game of LL last weekend when it hit me - the game actually has a 'pasted on' theme.

Yes, it's true. Before playing LL I didn't really understand all the fuss about theme but now I do.

Then I was struck by a brainwave.

GMT can actually release a set of variant counters and cards which would allow wargamers to enjoy the game as much as other people.

I looked at the eagles and imagined a couple of Stukas. I looked at the lemmings and I could picture special forces troops running across the open ground, after having completed a special ops mission, and needing to get to the cliff so as to be able to escape from the German troops who were trying to stop the escape, and possibly get a bit of revenge as well.

How about it GMT? A new set of counters which has stukas and allied commandos - each different colour set can represent a different nationality - U.S.A., Soviet Union, United Kingdom, France, China and New Zealand - the New Zealand counters could be given a sheep icon, the Chinese get 20 commandos rather than 10 and the French counters proably should have some negative modifier for movement, but I'm sure the designer can work out something nifty like that.

We would also need a new set of cards - something like 'Soviet Troops think about the welcome they will received when they get home - all Soviet troops run away from the cliff for this turn only,' , 'Monty Plans the Battle - no British troops may move this turn,' 'Curtiss Lemay bombs cliff face - U.S. troops may score points one hex sooner than normal this turn,' and other good stuff like that.

Show your support for this concept by thumbing this post and let's all say it together, C'mon GMT!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmb
My friend Jonathan had a similar idea, except making it an escape from a POW camp with the eagles being guards/sentries/dogs and the lemmings being POW's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
"All history is made up. Good history is made up by good historians; bad history is made up by the others." -David Macaulay
badge
When I retired, I decided to explore the Seven Deadly Sins. Perhaps I shouldn't have started with Sloth. It's been four years and that's as far as I've gotten.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a little disturbed by the thought of Stukas feeding on commandos they catch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Staudt
Germany
Rutesheim
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could probably do something like this with ANY game that includes elimination of game tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Gautier

Rhinebeck
New York
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Panzer Pushers: Flight From Falaise!

Panzer Pushers: Flight From Falaise! is a light war-themed game for 2-6 players. Each player controls elements from one of six of the most famous panzer divisions on the Western Front in World War II. Pick from your favorites: the 21st, 116th, Lehr, 12th SS, LAH and Das Reich—they are all there!

Your Panzers are desperately trying to break away from the advancing allied juggernaut and avoid being trapped in the deadly Falaise Pocket. They race for the relative safety of the Seine River where they will try to reform and defend the Fatherland. On the way back to Germany they must avoid the deadly Jabos, rocket firing British Typhoons and American Mustangs. They’ll also have a better chance of getting back if they pick up precious fuel supplies, which are scattered about the route.

Objective: To earn victory points, players drive their panzers off the map or collect fuel supplies. And the faster your panzers are going when they exit the map, the faster they can regroup to fight another day, so the more points you get.

The Board: The game board is a hex map of typical French countryside. Clear hexes leave the panzers vulnerable to enemy airpower. Wooded hexes protect your panzers from the fighter bombers but restrict stacking and cost more movement points to enter.

The pieces: beautifully rendered counters offer silhouettes of all your favorite German panzers: Mk IVs, Panthers, Tigers and assault guns to boot! German divisional badges also grace the counters for added color and realism!

[Originally posted here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/275093/is-the-theme-the-...]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thumbed every suggestion in this thread ;)

I don't think that they should discontinue Lemmings in favor of a war theme (I think Lemmings will be easier for me to get on the table with my game group, than would be some of these suggestions) but I agree that a war-related theme would not only be more inline with GMT's core business model, but would share the space on my shelf next to this one. ;)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanks Alot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
go2 Youtube Historical Gaming
mbmbmbmbmb
I think a blank hex board with generic cards could be used for multiples themes....

infantry running across the board hiding from spotlights

tanks going across the board avoiding artillery strikes

British Bomber runs avoiding antiaircraft fire

ww1 trench attacks from one trench to another, units running at each other from both sides?? (Imagine adjacent units firing close combat at each other), with airplane strikes!

The possibilities are endless!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.