GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,948 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Simple Strategy Game in need of an illustrator rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Brookman
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Hello,

I have been working on a strategy board game that requires event and resource cards. I do not have a lick of artistic ability but I would like some nice illustrations for a deck of roughly 54 cards. I have not made a final decision on how many individual illustrations there will be but I would like to talk to someone who can illustrate in the style I have in mind, and discuss pricing. I know this is sort of vague, but if someone contacts me I can give as many details as they want. Thank you for your consideration.

James

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Metzger
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BrookmanZ71 wrote:
Hello,

I have been working on a strategy board game that requires event and resource cards. I do not have a lick of artistic ability but I would like some nice illustrations for a deck of roughly 54 cards. I have not made a final decision on how many individual illustrations there will be but I would like to talk to someone who can illustrate in the style I have in mind, and discuss pricing. I know this is sort of vague, but if someone contacts me I can give as many details as they want. Thank you for your consideration.

James
Tell us about the game and how it has panned out in your playtests.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Brookman
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Basically it is a game where you collect resources every turn, move armies, recruit armies, buy/sell resources, build structures and ships and manage your political relationships with the other players.

While there are definate rules that govern movement, resource gathering and army recruiting, there are no rules governing the interatcions and agreements players can make with eachother. Backstabbing is encouraged. =)

The setting is a fictional 18th century'ish era of musket and horse.

The illustrations I need are for event cards and resource cards.

I have already made most of the wodden game pieces, including, 4 different types of buildings, ships, resource markers and flags.

In our playtests we were able to adjust income amounts, movement and resource management to decrease the time it takes to play a game from 4 hours to 1.5. Now the game progresses quickly and smoothly and players are forced to interact with other "nations" very early thereby creating alliances and fueds that fuel the rest of the game.

That is a quick synopsis. Not original, I know. But it is a blast to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hutchings
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Paintings and drawings from the 18th century are, obviously, in the public domain, so you might be able to get your artwork for free.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Mucchiello
United States
Edison
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
apeloverage wrote:
Paintings and drawings from the 18th century are, obviously, in the public domain, so you might be able to get your artwork for free.

What he said. Cheapass games does this all the time.

metzgerism wrote:
Tell us about the game and how it has panned out in your playtests.

What he said. Have you done any blind playtests? You cut the time from 4 hours to 1.5 hours but what happens when none of the players have played before. How many hours does that take?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Brookman
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
I have not been able to find any illustrations on any image search that matches my criteria for certain cards.

I'm just curious what the cost may be for having an illustrator work on this project. I know there are still a lot of steps I should be taking before an illustrator but I don't plan on publishing this game. I just want to have a game that I can pull off the shelf when I have friends over etc. I feel that the rules are straight forward and easy to learn. It wasn't a blind test but a new player picked it up in about 20 minutes game time. The rules of the board are simple. The only thing people may have trouble with is the extent of what you can do between players. That can all be worked out later. The cards are a definate part of the game that will not be changed.

Also, I live in a rediculously small town so a blind test is going to be hard to come by. Nobody in my town plays games, they all drink and go fishing. Usually at the same time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Brookman
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Also, I only need 20 illustrations for a deck of 150 cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wakefield Morys-Carter
United Kingdom
Oxford
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BrookmanZ71 wrote:
Also, I only need 18 illustrations for a deck of 150 cards.

I've just sent you a GeekMail with a suggestion, but if you only need 18 illustrations then reduce my guesstimate accordingly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Brookman
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Thank you very much. cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hutchings
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BrookmanZ71 wrote:
I have not been able to find any illustrations on any image search that matches my criteria for certain cards.

No, but you haven't found an artist either.

Why assume that it's worth asking for help with one search but not the other?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Mucchiello
United States
Edison
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
BrookmanZ71 wrote:
Also, I live in a rediculously small town so a blind test is going to be hard to come by. Nobody in my town plays games, they all drink and go fishing. Usually at the same time.

There are resources here to help with that. If you have the game in a printable state, there are folks you like to put together games and play them. See this Geeklist, for example: User Designed Unpublished Games That Need Reviewing or Playtesting
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan | In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this | Combat Commander series fan | The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me! | Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Any time I don't have time to illustrate my own artwork, I go ask in the Freelance forum on conceptart.org where you'll find great illustrators from all over the world hungry for freelance work. Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.