England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb
Even though me and my partner are massive fans of Drakon, I was still a bit apprehensive when it came to a decision whether or not to buy Drakon's - Expansion Set One.

After reading some comments, brief reviews (many of them on this very page), and viewing the Quick Reference PDF, I decided that it looked more interesting than some people had made out. So with cash in hand I forked out the money for the expansion, which was three quarters the cost of the main game itself!

The packaging is not a permanent box as such, merely a slip of a sleeve to transport the components in before you mix them in with the main set. These components being a cardboard Drakon piece, a Rulebook and 48 tiles. Firstly the tiles need to be punched out of their card. They are all well cut, and unlike most of the ones that come with the main game will all push out with minimum effort.

There is no plastic base for the Drakon piece itself, but unless you are playing a maxed out game with 6 players this won't effect the game. With 6 players the Drakon counter could still be used lying flat, which would work but make the game look a bit one dimensional. To simply rectify this a paper-clip in a piece of blue-tac would suffice though.

All these components will still fit neatly and easily into the main box when shuffled in with the main deck. What I do is stack them in seven blocks of 16 tiles and band them with elastics (covers head to stop blows from other BGG'ers).

The Rulebook as with the original will end up tucked underneath the internal compartment, as it will easily be memorised and won't be needed after around two plays. It is very much like the one from the main game, black & white with just 2 sheets per language. It is short, brief, and fairly well written, but some issues need to be addressed where they contradict each other almost no more than a few paragraphs apart.

The one big contradiction is where the Rulebook states that: "The Drakon counter counts as a character for determining chamber actions". It then later goes on to say: "Move the Drakon up to three chambers in any direction, ignoring all chamber actions and arrows"! The good thing is that Tom Jolly very nicely e-mailed me saying "The Drakon was an addition after I had submitted the rules, the latter part of the rules is true"! Another minor rule error is pretty apparent when the game is in progress. It concerns the 'Friendly Visit' tile. It states that "next turn you may move your character to any other chamber on which another character is standing". This isn't a 'may' option at all though, because as there are no exits leading out of the chamber you are forced to move to another players tile!

So... an interesting game Drakon is, even more so with Expansion Set One. The new tiles are very much a welcome addition to our games. I am still learning new techniques with the basic set after well over 70 games, and with the expansion set the learning curve is as fresh as ever. Now you can store coins safely from prying fingers, buy already placed tiles back into your hand from the Drakon, use secret passages, get lured off course by a Magic Harp, and Gain Two Gold per chamber instead of one. The latter 'Two Gold' has been said to detracted from the game, but with it only being one tile and having just one measly exit leading from this room a 'Drakon's Due', or 'Wishing Well' placed at the end of it, or even The Drakon itself breathing down your neck will soon heat up the proceedings.

All these new cards are a great addition, and all work extremely well within The Drakon's realm. I urge anyone with a healthy interest (or unhealthy if you play it as often as us) in Drakon to check this expansion out and to consider buying it. "I can't begin to imagine Expansion Set Two though!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.