GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,741 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

Civilization» Forums » Rules

Subject: Starting areas rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken Stechauner
United States
California
flag msg tools
I bought this game many years ago and am just now learning to play. The rules say start areas have colored borders corresponding to the players colors. My board only has white borders.

Also, There are no white triangles volcanoes on my board.

Am I missing something, or do I have a unedited board?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Farrand
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Sounds like your board has issues. There should be 3 white triangles on the board that represent volcanoes (one in Italy, one in Sicily, and one in the Greek Islands) and there should be colored borders on certain regions to indicate where each player starts. Browsing images of the game board on this site should give you an indication of what you're missing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Whyman
United States
Danvers
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
from Game Crafter
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kidfactory wrote:
My board only has white borders.

On my board the color is not all around the entire start area, it is just along the edge that coincides with the edge of the board . . . except for Crete.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian
Germany
Hürth
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
I won an Games for Geekgold Lottery with 0.09% Chance of winning. You sure you wanna mess with me?
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a look at this board (not the Chicken Clock) to see how the coloured borders look in the AH Edition:

The German WDS-Edition and the "Gibson Edition" does have a totally different map though (with no indication where to start, but the starting places are explained in the rules) It looks exactly like this:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Stechauner
United States
California
flag msg tools
Looking at the pic of the AH edition I am missing the entore bottom third of the board!

Thanks guys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Stechauner
United States
California
flag msg tools
Is it possible that I can get a color copy of the portion I am missing from your AH board? 11 X 17 would work. I need the 2 sections next to the A.S.T. in the above picture.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lowry
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
...Are you sure on that? It would seem hard for that to happen, as it was one piece with some cuts (like current GMT mounted boards). Keep in mind that that image is showing the board from the top end and with 1/4 of it tucked under.

Here's the best image I can find of the AH version of the board, right-side up. Keep in mind a little on each side is cropped out of the image, but the entire top-to-bottom is shown.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Tak
United States
Chapin
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just throwing it out there, my board is from the 2nd edition and is two tri-fold parts. I much prefer the first edition multi-fold, but alas ebayers can't always be choosers (and it was mostly unpunched when I stole it for cheap!).

How to go about replacing that board I have no idea, but I wish you luck in that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Stechauner
United States
California
flag msg tools
I have the first edition board. It looks like I am missing a lot of it: The entire left side based on the orientation of this pic. Bummer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Stechauner
United States
California
flag msg tools
That is the prob I am facing. Mine is first edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Whyman
United States
Danvers
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
from Game Crafter
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kidfactory wrote:
Mine is first edition.

The first edition was published by Hartland Trefoil in the UK. You probably have the first Avalon Hill edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corbon Loughnan
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kidfactory wrote:
I have the first edition board. It looks like I am missing a lot of it: The entire left side based on the orientation of this pic. Bummer.

It seems as though you are missing one half of your board - the western of the two trifold parts mentioned earlier.

In the AH pic above the westernmost 1/4 is folded under using two of the trifolds and you can see it as a thin dark brown line between the AST track and the Census track. The AST track is sitting on it and the census + trade cards are sitting where the second fold would have been.

(1/2 board)
A B
C D
becomes
B
ac D (with ac being A folded over C and therefore face down)

When packing it away B would fold over D the same way then AC would fold over BD, or something similar. You should be able to figure that out from the half board you have I would guess.

Anyway, there are pics out there on the web that I am sure you could use to print your own copy from, which you can back onto cardboard and laminate or whatever you prefer. I looked at doing this myself, but enough people around me have always had a copy so the effort wasn;t worthwhile, + the old pc game keeps the juices flowing when the need arises (and is even nastier and more cutthroat than 'live' gameplay IME).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Goldberg
United States
Bonnots Mill
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Boy the way Glenn Miller played // Songs that made the Hit Parade // Guys like us we had it made // Those were the days.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not seeing where the starting positions are. My map also has white borders. Trying to start a game today.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
super varal
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lgoldberg wrote:
I'm not seeing where the starting positions are. My map also has white borders. Trying to start a game today.

There is color lines on the border of the map to indicate civilizations starting point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
super varal wrote:
lgoldberg wrote:

There is color lines on the border of the map to indicate civilizations starting point.

But only on some versions of the map (See above).

If the colour lines aren't there the starting positions should be indicated in the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Goldberg
United States
Bonnots Mill
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Boy the way Glenn Miller played // Songs that made the Hit Parade // Guys like us we had it made // Those were the days.
mbmbmbmbmb
super varal wrote:
lgoldberg wrote:

Serious head-slap for me. When I hear the word "border" used in the context of a map, I think "the dividing lines between nations", not "the edge of the board". I've been staring at the thin white lines between the areas on my map, not seeing anything but thin white lines. blush So yes, the edges of my board do have colored bars on them

To add to the perceived truth of my erroneous interpretation, the latest redesign map posted in the files section has the starting areas on it done up by coloring the borders between the areas as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.