GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,755 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Street Illegal» Forums » Variants

Subject: Tiny Tune-up to Temper Luck rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gary Pressler
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
OMG! Overtext! How long have I been sleeping?! OVERTEXT! Also, I'm a DESIGNER now?! Sweet! OVERTEXXXXXXT!
badge
HO HO HO! Give me some money!
mbmbmbmbmb
In the rules as written, 2 chips are awarded per matching symbol after adding the random card based on the the "track situation".

Is there any good reason not to award chips before the random card?

This would further reward good planning, and lessen the luck of the draw. I will try it next time we play, but I wondered if anyone else already played that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heinrich Glumpler
Germany
Koeln
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmb
Hi,

this is a variant worth trying.

I decided against it, because I (myself) like games that force me to expect the unexpected. For me it is fun to imagine which card will probably come up - and I always try to take this into account when playing my "driving" card - arranging my three cards in a way to maximize my chances (and "chances" I like to take).

If the variant is fun for you - I would be very happy

Best Regards
Heinrich

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Pressler
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
OMG! Overtext! How long have I been sleeping?! OVERTEXT! Also, I'm a DESIGNER now?! Sweet! OVERTEXXXXXXT!
badge
HO HO HO! Give me some money!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for reminding me about my own thread! =)

We have since played a few games with tokens taken before resolving the terrain. As expected, I much preferred the added control. I expect I will always play this way from now on.

A friend pointed out a different limitation in the game: the leader of the seventh round (assuming 8 rounds in the course) is guaranteed to place first or second, since only one opponent will have the opportunity to attempt a pass. (Similarly, the leader in the sixth round will finish no worse than third.) His solution was to start with passing from the front (i.e., the second-place car first). We tried it, and it worked alright, but I think it gave too much advantage to players further back. Also, it was sometimes unclear who had the next opportunity to pass.

I mention it only as something else we tried. I would not recommend playing that way again. (Sorry, Barry.) I understand his point, but a good position should not be so easily lost. End position should reflect the overall race, not just a last-minute push. Just like in real racing, passing opportunities are limited and knowing when to push forward is key.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.