GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,823 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
15 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Looking for a good wargame. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
charles bentley
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm looking for a good "tactical" wargame (preferably with miniatures instead of cardboard pieces but it's no big deal)

Right now I own TEAM YANKEE and I personally love the game but can't really compare it to any other since I'm a beginner in the world of board game wargaming. Any advice/recommendations will be appreciated.

* Please be WW2-Modern (not a fan of fantasy/sci fi)
* Please try to post ones someone on a limited budget can afford.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Madhujith Venkatakrishna
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Commands & Colors: Ancients- Awesome game system comes up with tons of scenarios, historical warfare and plays quickly as well.

Memoir '44- Of course there are thousands of people who swear by this, see if this interests you.

Neuroshima Hex! 3.0- Completely different. Tactical warfare using asymmetric armies. Unfortunately no miniatures. But loads of fun. Plays 2-4 people

My preference is more towards CCA and Neuroshima Hex. of course there are tons of great wargames like Twilight Struggle, Tide of Iron, Washington's War, Conflict of Heroes series etc. But I thought you could have a beginning with these.

Good luck

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Nicely
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Advanced Squad Leader: Starter Kit #1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
charles bentley
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
THANKS! I didn't care for the neuroshima or command and colors (they aren't my favorite time periods *I'm a ww2/modern military buff*) but memoir' 44 looks like it might be just what I was looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
charles bentley
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
I've heard a lot of ASL but my biggest worry is it might be too complex.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
charles bentley
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
I've just caught a glimpse of one called "tide of iron"...

Is this something I'd like? What I'm looking for?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For tactical WWII with miniatures, the choices are:

Memoir '44
Tide of Iron

Tide of Iron simulates squads and is more detailed. Memoir '44 is a higher level game (units are around companies or battalions) and is more abstract. Memoir is the simpler of the two. Both games have lots of expansions.

You can download the rules to both games. I'd suggest you do that and see which rules excite you.

Memoir: http://daysofwonder.com/
ToI: http://fantasyflightgames.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.