Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: 2004: A Year of Gaming rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Gola
United States
Redding
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
and everything under the sun is in tune
mbmbmbmbmb
Back on January 12 I posted my second Boardgamegeek journal entry. "Thought I might start off 2004 writing down some brief sketches of gaming," I said. Brief, eh? Hilarious. It's now forty-four thousand, five hundred and sixty-nine words later and I can proudly say I've meticulously reported on every nanosecond of an entire year of gaming. Included in the opus are reports from all fourteen of this year's visits to Joe Lee's Sunday Night Gamers, as well as accountings of the various smaller get-togethers held here and there throughout aught-four. Thirty-five different titles are discussed, and altogether I squeaked in eighty-six plays, which ranged from fifteen-minute Tamsk matches to six-hour slogs through Breakout: Normandy. My most-played games were Tamsk (nine plays) and Einfach Genial (six plays).*

Anyway, I thought it worth mentioning to the geeks at large that I put together a table of contents for these journal entries in convenient Geeklist form. Here's the link: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist.php3?action=view&listi...

I also wanted to mention to those who are interested that while the exercise has been very satisfying and a lot of fun--particularly thanks to the great response I've gotten from all kinds of nice folks--I won't be repeating it next year, or at least not in the same prolix fashion. I hope to continue to post session reports as articles when I have something interesting to say, but the long, long, long journal entries for every game played has to go. It's a delightful pastime, but it's one that for me is out of all proportion with the free time that I actually possess.

The important thing to say about all this, however, is "thanks" to all the people who have read the stuff that I've written and "thanks" even more to those who chimed in with comments, jokes, barbs, dirty limericks, et cetera. Both astounding and shameful was the day that I found out that even people who I have never met know that I suck at games.

The only other thing to mention is that, lemming that I am, I followed Randall Peek's example and got myself a little blog for all the non-game-related rambling I feel inclined to do, and that little blog is right here: http://ww.golarama.blogspot.com Unfortunately I've barely come up with anything at all to say since I opened shop, so there's not much point to anyone visiting at the moment. Check out this website instead: http://www.watchedpot.com Finally, a news source dedicated to the real issue facing the youth of today. Be sure to add your own sightings, premonitions and midnight dreads.

See you in 2005!

* Of course I realize these stats are fairly pipsqueakful compared to those of the hardcore gamers, but we all do what we can, you know?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Joe, I don't care if you suck at games...just keep writing about them! Thanks for taking the time to share your wit with us. You're at the top of the list of Geeks I'd love to share a table with someday. Its a long list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Cameron
Canada
Unspecified
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
*sigh* I guess it was too good to last at the same rate
It's a shame that you won't be posting session reports with the same frequency anymore. As it was they seemed to far in between. Still, I understand, and your own sanity and decreased stress level have to take priority.

Now start blogging, dammit! I need my Gola fix

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deleted User
msg tools
badge
Damn Joe, I fully understand why you can't continue to write the long 'uns, but I'll sure miss them. Reading your stuff made me realize that I actually wanted to reallocate some of my writing time from my secret personal blog to stuff I posted here.

Thanks for all the great work. Toss us a morsel now and then, willya? I'll be checking your blog with regularity.

Cheers,
Fawksie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.