Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: acquire vs shark rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin
United States
Creve Coeur
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i've played a bit of acquire now. liked the game initially, always played it with cash/stock face-up to avoid turning it into a memory game. i'm considering playing with hidden stock/exposed money just to mix it up a little bit, but i've found many games coming down to "turn prediction": people aren't really playing the game anymore, either they or somebody else are pointing out the only purchases they can possibly make after laying a tile (and often pointing out which tiles should be laid if possible). i hate that element of games.

i didn't see any acquire vs shark lists, so i wonder, would it possibly be better for me with my perspective? i like the elements of acquire, but i don't like it coming down to non-play and turn calculation at the 2/3 game mark. new players getting shut out of early mergers is a serious bummer too.

any other alternative similar game suggestions would be great as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Sandall
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shark is like Acquire mixed with Advance to Boardwalk so I recommend trying Advance to Boardwalk to see if you agree.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Uherske
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
We play Acquire with closed holdings, except each player is allowed one question of one opponent about one stock on their turn. Keeps the game more interesting, we think, and adds an element of tactics to the acquisition of information.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cobb
United States
Alpharetta
Georgia
flag msg tools
Closed holdings
We play with closed holdings, with the exception that each player's purchases stay open until the beginning of their next turn. This prevents all the questions after someone leaves the room for a moment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.