GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,895 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
21 Posts

Thunderstone» Forums » Rules

Subject: Solo Rules Clarified in Wrath Expansion Rulebook (link included) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Ban
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
This is my first post on Boardgamegeek, so be gentle :O.

After sifting through many posts here trying to figure out how the new solo rules work, I noticed that Alderac has made the rulebook for the Wrath expansion available on their website. Pages 16 and 17 of that rulebook describe the solo variant and it is a much clearer presentation than the one page solo rules currently available on their website for the base game. The game mechanics are the same, but the Wrath rulebook makes the rules for the solo variant much clearer. If you wish to avoid Wrath spoilers simply skip the rest of the rulebook and read pages 16 and 17 only. Those pages contain one tiny spoiler only: the name of one new item for Wrath. Otherwise, those pages are spoiler free. As far as I can tell these solo rules should apply fully to the base game, and make solo play much easier to understand.

Here is the link: http://www.alderac.com/aeg-ts-wrath-rulebook.pdf

Perhaps someone with the requisite Adobe skills can cut that down to pages 16 and 17 only and post it here, but that is beyond my meager technical aptitude.

Enjoy,

Sharpe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Metzler
United States
Glendale
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
"Are you pondering what I'm pondering Pinky?"
badge
"Wuhhh... I think so, Brain, but if a ham can operate a radio, why can't a pig set a VCR?"
mbmbmbmbmb
Sharpe67 wrote:
This is my first post on Boardgamegeek, so be gentle :O.

After sifting through many posts here trying to figure out how the new solo rules work, I noticed that Alderac has made the rulebook for the Wrath expansion available on their website. Pages 16 and 17 of that rulebook describe the solo variant and it is a much clearer presentation than the one page solo rules currently available on their website for the base game. The game mechanics are the same, but the Wrath rulebook makes the rules for the solo variant much clearer. If you wish to avoid Wrath spoilers simply skip the rest of the rulebook and read pages 16 and 17 only. Those pages contain one tiny spoiler only: the name of one new item for Wrath. Otherwise, those pages are spoiler free. As far as I can tell these solo rules should apply fully to the base game, and make solo play much easier to understand.

Here is the link: http://www.alderac.com/aeg-ts-wrath-rulebook.pdf

Perhaps someone with the requisite Adobe skills can cut that down to pages 16 and 17 only and post it here, but that is beyond my meager technical aptitude.

Enjoy,

Sharpe

Aha! I knew I rewrote those rules at some point or another. Guess they never got placed online, but instead made it into the Wrath rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Chien
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, these are much clearer, and they confirm an assumption of mine which was to remove the Elf Wizard from the solo game (like the Banish spell).

Cameron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoki Erdtman
Sweden
Södertälje
flag msg tools
badge
Handsome devil huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
LOL! I was trying to figure out what was different about the Nightmare rules, and realized that I have been using them all along.

Yes, the rules are much clearer now, looks good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, they confuse me more than helping. The biggest issue over the solo rules was whether or not you advance the monsters in the following turn. As I understand it, you don't. So, the solo rules in Wrath do not clarify this whatsoever. Or am I missing something??

-Ski

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Metzler
United States
Glendale
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
"Wuhhh... I think so, Brain, but if a ham can operate a radio, why can't a pig set a VCR?"
mbmbmbmbmb
Teamski wrote:
Actually, they confuse me more than helping. The biggest issue over the solo rules was whether or not you advance the monsters in the following turn. As I understand it, you don't. So, the solo rules in Wrath do not clarify this whatsoever. Or am I missing something??

-Ski

The new rules state what to do in each scenario and how that alters the base rule of advancing every turn.

1. No fight - Advance the monsters by placing a new monster in rank 3 and advancing rank 1 to the village score pile

2. Fight and lose - Undefeated monster goes to village score pile. Refill hall. No monster advances. Next turn monsters will advance unless another fight ensues.

3. Fight and Win - Defeated monster is added to your deck. Refill hall. No monster advances. Next turn monsters will not advance as a reward for winning a fight.

All of this is definitely in the new solo rules, I just checked them myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent. That is precisely what was needed. Thanks for checking!

-Ski

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cavaliere
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slaqr wrote:
Teamski wrote:

-Ski

The new rules state what to do in each scenario and how that alters the base rule of advancing every turn.

1. No fight - Advance the monsters by placing a new monster in rank 3 and advancing rank 1 to the village score pile

2. Fight and lose - Undefeated monster goes to village score pile. Refill hall. No monster advances. Next turn monsters will advance unless another fight ensues.

3. Fight and Win - Defeated monster is added to your deck. Refill hall. No monster advances. Next turn monsters will not advance as a reward for winning a fight.

All of this is definitely in the new solo rules, I just checked them myself.

Not trying to be redundant here but need to get my head straight on this as I think I've been playing it wrong.

When refilling the dungeon then, and no monster advances, if there is an open spot in Rank 2 you take the top monster off the deck and put it there (don't move the Rank3 monster to Rank2 and then fill Rank 3)? Or is 'advance' referring to moving them to the village score pile?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Metzler
United States
Glendale
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It refers only to moving them to the scoring pile. Note that it says to refill the hall, which is the terminology for shifting the ranks when adding a monster to rank three

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Saburn
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The new version cleared up all but one of my questions. Based on what I read, there can be no dungeon visit on the 1st turn as it won't be populated until the END of the first turn. Is this correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cavaliere
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Ryan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Metzler
United States
Glendale
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
saburn wrote:
The new version cleared up all but one of my questions. Based on what I read, there can be no dungeon visit on the 1st turn as it won't be populated until the END of the first turn. Is this correct?

Correct. On the second turn you could fight, but remember, the monster is in rank 3 so you will need to provide light or suffer the penalties.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
slaqr wrote:
saburn wrote:

Correct. On the second turn you could fight, but remember, the monster is in rank 3 so you will need to provide light or suffer the penalties.

???? You refill the hall. So there would be a monster in all ranks by the second turn...

-Ski

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Metzler
United States
Glendale
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Teamski wrote:
slaqr wrote:
saburn wrote:

???? You refill the hall. So there would be a monster in all ranks by the second turn...

-Ski

What? No...

The rules clearly state that at the end of the first turn you flip the top card of the Dungeon Deck in to Rank 3. Since the hall was previously empty, there is only a monster in rank 3 now. On the next turn, you would flip the top card to rank 3 again, pushing rank 3 to rank 2. Now there are cards in rank 2 and 3. Third turn would see you flip a card to rank 3, push rank 3 to rank 2, rank 2 to rank 1. Now the Dungeon Hall is full. On the next turn, if no fight happens, a monster will advance to the village scoring pile from rank 1 when the new monsters is flipped to rank 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
slaqr wrote:

What? No...

The rules clearly state that at the end of the first turn you flip the top card of the Dungeon Deck in to Rank 3. Since the hall was previously empty, there is only a monster in rank 3 now. On the next turn, you would flip the top card to rank 3 again, pushing rank 3 to rank 2. Now there are cards in rank 2 and 3. Third turn would see you flip a card to rank 3, push rank 3 to rank 2, rank 2 to rank 1. Now the Dungeon Hall is full. On the next turn, if no fight happens, a monster will advance to the village scoring pile from rank 1 when the new monsters is flipped to rank 3.

LOL!!! Sorry about that. I completely misread your posting. I thought it refered to the first turn after winning a fight. Ignore me.....yuk

-Ski

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tommy vc
msg tools
just to clarify. I just bought this game after playing it once and finding it super. These solo rules also apply for the basic game? Because that would be the greatest

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Warren
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
La cheeserie!
mbmbmbmbmb
lestat2705 wrote:
just to clarify. I just bought this game after playing it once and finding it super. These solo rules also apply for the basic game? Because that would be the greatest

Yup, they work just fine with the basic game alone. I've played a couple of games the past week and it is fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Siddons-Smith
United Kingdom
derby
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Silly Silly me, Just been reading this thread and was wondering why i wasn't doing well in the solo game, Just read the post that the dungeon doesn't start filled up. I've just reread the rules and must have missed that point.
I've been playing it that the dungeon hall is filled up and mosters where going into the victory point from turn 1.

I would say if you want to make it harder than nightmare you could just do what 'ive been doing and include the nightmare level

I've still been having fun though.

Cheers

Neil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Martins
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I read all this, and am still a little confused as to what to do in that "following turn" after winning.

d10-1 Scenario 1
So, lets say it's turn 5, and I beat a monster.
I refill the hall.

On turn 6, I go to the village. The monsters do not march into town.

(I get this).

d10-2 Scenario 2
I refill the hall.

On turn 6, I kill another monster. Now what? Do I refill the hall? If so, does that mean my "free turn" is "wasted" by attacking twice in a row?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Metzler
United States
Glendale
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quizoid wrote:
I read all this, and am still a little confused as to what to do in that "following turn" after winning.

d10-1 Scenario 1
I refill the hall.

On turn 6, I go to the village. The monsters do not march into town.

(I get this).

d10-2 Scenario 2
I refill the hall.

On turn 6, I kill another monster. Now what? Do I refill the hall? If so, does that mean my "free turn" is "wasted" by attacking twice in a row?

Yes...but you get another on the next turn

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Rabinowitz
United States
Columbia
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sharpe67 wrote:

That site seems to be down right now so for convenience here's the link to the file on BGG: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/56013/thunderstone-wra...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.