GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,505 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
5 
 Thumb up
 Hide
28 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Small World» Forums » News

Subject: iPad version gets an AI for solo play rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: iPad [+] [View All]
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I just found an update for the iPad version of Small World which contains an AI for solo play against the computer! What are your thoughts? How do you find it to play against?

B>
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Moore
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter
badge
Does (Top Promoter) subliminal (Top Promoter) advertising (Top Promoter) really (Top Promoter) work?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
thepackrat wrote:
I just found an update for the iPad version of Small World which contains an AI for solo play against the computer! What are your thoughts? How do you find it to play against?

B>


1st play: I won 128 to 95.

AI should have gone into decline with second race. The last 3 rounds it only had enough units to attempt to take one region on the board.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
feydjm wrote:
thepackrat wrote:
I just found an update for the iPad version of Small World which contains an AI for solo play against the computer! What are your thoughts? How do you find it to play against?

B>


1st play: I won 128 to 95.

AI should have gone into decline with second race. The last 3 rounds it only had enough units to attempt to take one region on the board.


I just beat it, but was closer, 95-87, but I really wasn't paying that much attention to the game. It went into decline sensibly the first time, but not the second, oddly. It's a great start, though, I hope we'll see updates

B>
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Woo hoo! Just in time for my newly arrived iPad.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Moore
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter
badge
Does (Top Promoter) subliminal (Top Promoter) advertising (Top Promoter) really (Top Promoter) work?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
thepackrat wrote:
feydjm wrote:
thepackrat wrote:
I just found an update for the iPad version of Small World which contains an AI for solo play against the computer! What are your thoughts? How do you find it to play against?

B>


1st play: I won 128 to 95.

AI should have gone into decline with second race. The last 3 rounds it only had enough units to attempt to take one region on the board.


I just beat it, but was closer, 95-87, but I really wasn't paying that much attention to the game. It went into decline sensibly the first time, but not the second, oddly. It's a great start, though, I hope we'll see updates

B>


yeah, it seemed fine when it went in decline the first time. It was actually the same turn I did, but when it was only getting 2 tokens to disperse each turn, it should have gone into decline.

My 3 race Combos were

Spirit Elves
Stout Tritons
Alchemist Ratmen

I was scoring 17 per round for the last 3
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Filthy ratmen!

B>
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stevens
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
I protect the sheep in our society from the wolves.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Is Small World fun to play on the Ipad? How are the controls?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Touchy

*rimshot*

Thank you...I'll be here all week. Tip your waitress.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Marchi
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
In my Only game so far, I beat him pretty badly like 95 to 48, he took orcs and I conquered all his regions except one. Then he took wizards and I took ratmen to attack his wizards. When he was left with only one wiZard, he tried conquering with that wizard, like 4 times in a row, so he only made 1 coin in those turns. It looked like he didn't want to lose that one Orc he had left or maybe he doesn't want to go in decline without units in the board?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Miller
United States
Mishawaka
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I must suck really bad at Small World.

I've played several games since the update went live yesterday, and the computer has torn my ass apart every single time.

Now I have a complex.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Almarr Ormarsson
Iceland
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Now we just need an iPhone version!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, its timing for the declines is certainly suboptimal. On the other hand, I can hardly blame it. I hung onto those damn elves far too long in a real game as well

B>
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth
Switzerland
Zürich
Zürich
flag msg tools
badge
My ass is green, but I don't let it worry me.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that's putting it mildly, I saw the AI go into decline on the last turn wow
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Capoeirista wrote:
I think that's putting it mildly, I saw the AI go into decline on the last turn wow


Second last turn is what I saw, but then it came back with those @$%# ratmen. Made a reasonable stab, but wasted too many turns earlier.

B>
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
thepackrat wrote:
Capoeirista wrote:
I think that's putting it mildly, I saw the AI go into decline on the last turn wow


Second last turn is what I saw, but then it came back with those @$%# ratmen. Made a reasonable stab, but wasted too many turns earlier.

B>

All of your criticisms of the AI are making me realize why I am so bad at this game.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm enjoying playing Small World against the AI very much.

I am not good at this game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wessels
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
This may have been answered already elsewhere, but is there a setting within the App to mute the music?

I realize I could just drop the sound for the iPad itself but I have tried and cannot find a music volume setting for the iPad Small World App itself.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
fastfingers wrote:
This may have been answered already elsewhere, but is there a setting within the App to mute the music?

I realize I could just drop the sound for the iPad itself but I have tried and cannot find a music volume setting for the iPad Small World App itself.


Ha, hadn't realised that since the volume on my ipad stays on off. You should submit it as a high-priority feature request to DoW via the itunes feedback interface as well as here. That would indeed be useful.

B>
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wessels
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
It doesn't play the music once a game begins but it does during the rules overview/tutorials, and of course while the opening screen-menu is present.

The music gets annoying pretty fast.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Gallagher
United States
Fort Lee
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Doc Robot wrote:
I must suck really bad at Small World.

I've played several games since the update went live yesterday, and the computer has torn my ass apart every single time.

Now I have a complex.


Don't feel too bad. I'm right there with you. It was nice to see your post as everyone else was talking about how weak the AI is. If DOW makes the AI tougher, then I'm really screwed.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Stout
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
gallaghertm wrote:
It was nice to see your post as everyone else was talking about how weak the AI is. If DOW makes the AI tougher, then I'm really screwed.

Hopefully they'll make the AI settable, so you can make it tougher or easier.

Better yet would be to have it settable along various dimensions, such as amount of choices evaluated and/or amount of time spent thinking, along with personality weightings like immediate land-grabbing vs. defending for long-term holding, aggressive killing of opponents vs. avoiding confrontation, etc.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Barliman wrote:
gallaghertm wrote:
It was nice to see your post as everyone else was talking about how weak the AI is. If DOW makes the AI tougher, then I'm really screwed.

Hopefully they'll make the AI settable, so you can make it tougher or easier.

Better yet would be to have it settable along various dimensions, such as amount of choices evaluated and/or amount of time spent thinking, along with personality weightings like immediate land-grabbing vs. defending for long-term holding, aggressive killing of opponents vs. avoiding confrontation, etc.


I don't think being able to tune your opponent would be as much fun. I'd say it would be better if there was a general difficulty setting and then have an AI opponent that would then pursue different strategies.

B>
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Chua
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
How about multiplayer? (>2) Honestly, that's the only thing holding me back from purchasing the app. If DOW can increase multiplayer to 4 or even 3, it will be a straight buy.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
Touchy

*rimshot*

Thank you...I'll be here all week. Tip your waitress.



http://instantrimshot.com/classic/?sound=rimshot
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Stark
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Has the AI been improved at all?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.