GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,405 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Runewars» Forums » Rules

Subject: Question: When to pick up dropped rewards from heroes rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
brad poon
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When does a player's hero pick up item rewards that were dropped from a defeated hero? During or after the quest phase?

The rulebook says "Any hero present in an area containing a defeated hero marker during his controller’s turn may take all Reward cards". But it also says the "Quest Phase it is not considered part of any player’s turn."

For example, it is quest phase and I have played a lower Order card than my opponent, so I take my quest phase. I end up with two heroes on the same tile. My opponent then takes his quest phase, duels one of my heroes and defeats him, leaving one of my heroes, one of his heroes, and some dropped items on the ground.

If my opponent had a second hero, could he move into that tile and pick up the dropped items during his quest phase? Or would my remaining hero pick up the items at the end of the quest phase and at the beginning of my turn (since I played the lower Order card)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brad poon
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm... I just read the example of dueling on page 29, which says "Because Silhouette has been dealt damage equal to her health, the hero is now defeated and the duel ends. The attacking player takes all of the defeated hero’s Reward cards and places them under the Mad Carthos’s Hero card."

This implies that the reward cards are picked up during the quest phase.

Now the interesting situation of my above example, when both heroes kill each other and drop their loot, leaving my other hero alone on the tile. Seems kind of silly that he would have to wait for another year to pick up the items instead of just scooping them up right then and there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Riggan
United States
OKLAHOMA CITY
OK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
I believe in the case of picking up loot, then it can take place during the questing phase. In the case of both heroes dying and your third hero sitting on the spot, I see no problem with him taking all the booty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brad poon
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, I just found this on the FAQ that sigma compiles:

Q: Can a hero pick up Reward cards from defeated heroes
during the Quest Phase, or just during the controller's actual
turn?
A: Yes, a player's hero may pick up Reward cards from a
defeated hero marker when the hero enters the area during
the Quest Phase or at any point during the player's turn.

I guess that leaves a small window in which the opponent could sweep in and ninja the loot before my turn comes up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Fischer
United States
Ellendale
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
And like that... he's gone
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is what the rulebook states on page 28:

"Any hero present in an area containing a defeated hero marker
during his controller’s turn may take all Reward cards from under
the marker and place them under his Hero card. The player then
removes the defeated hero marker from the game board."

Since it wasn't your turn, nor any one else's according to your quote of "Quest Phase it is not considered part of any player’s turn.", It seems that no one would be able to pick up the loot in this particular case until they had a hero in the area and then executed a valid turn.

So in theory, no one could possibly take this before you could unless another player had a hero in the area and was ahead of you in the order of play. Of course, any opponent yet to perform his quest phase could smoke your remaining hero with hopes of getting the loot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Fischer
United States
Ellendale
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
And like that... he's gone
mbmbmbmbmb
poondog wrote:

turn?
defeated hero marker when the hero enters the area during
the Quest Phase or at any point during the player's turn.

I guess that leaves a small window in which the opponent could sweep in and ninja the loot before my turn comes up.

Oh! I am too late. Good work finding the answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brad poon
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks anyways, haha. I should have just left it up to the efficiency and expertise of the BGG community, but my curiosity always gets the best of me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. snowMan
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this thread missed page 28 where it says:

"The surviving hero then claims all of the defeated hero's Reward cards"

I think the rewards go immediately to the winning hero.

(this is different than where a hero dies in a quest in the same tile as another hero)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
DsnowMan wrote:
I think this thread missed page 28 where it says:

"The surviving hero then claims all of the defeated hero's Reward cards"

I think the rewards go immediately to the winning hero.

(this is different than where a hero dies in a quest in the same tile as another hero)

This is true for when one hero slays another. But like you said, if the dying hero is killed in another way (such as via a Quest), or if both sides of a duel die simultaneously, then the dropped rewards can only be picked up during a Hero's "quest phase", or during a player's turn.

So if Player 1 has Hero A and B, and Player 2 moves Hero C in to fight Hero A, and they both die, their rewards all drop, and Hero B does NOT immediately pick them up. Player 1 must either wait until Hero B's quest phase, or until Player 1's next turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom H
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
poondog wrote:

turn?
defeated hero marker when the hero enters is in the area during the Quest Phase or at any point during the player's turn.

Fixed that - surely you don't need to "enter the area" if you are already there. Or do you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.