GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,522 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
21 Posts

Dominion» Forums » General

Subject: Which Domion sets should I buy? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Drift -
msg tools
Thinking of grabbing Dominion, but not sure which set I should get.

Firstly the base set, a few reviews mentioned that Intrigue is a bit better then Dominion, a little more varied and interesting apparently. What do you guys think?

As for the expansions, seaside looks really good, not sure I'll get an expansion right away, but what do you guys recomend?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I still think the first set is best to learn the game, but if you crave interaction between players then maybe Intrigue instead as a first choice. But my best suggestion would be to get all that is out now and then add Prosperity soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Volk
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You will love the game so much, you'll end up buying all the expansions anyway, so you might as well just get them all now. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gerrard
United States
Snohomish
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Buy all of them in order, a week apart from each other (assuming you can play at least 5-10 times a week)

That is the answer, thread closed

Dagerr
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you think you might be playing with more than 4, you might want to get the base set and Intrigue so you'll have enough basic cards to support that. I think Dominion is good with 5, and you can split to two tables and play with up to 8.

Otherwise, I would be inclined to start with the base set. I still think the "First Game" setup in the base game is the best way to learn how to play.

I might get Seaside before Intrigue if I knew I would never play with more than 4. And I would get at least one "big" expansion before I got the "small" expansion, Alchemy.

You'll have to ask the question again if you wait until after Prosperity is released to get an expansion. But that doesn't mean you should wait, because there's always the next new thing right around the corner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
The base set is a good place to start. After that, I would recommend going for Intrigue, though if you don't need to play with more than four, Seaside is also a decent choice.

Definitely get Alchemy last, if ever; it's the most expensive of the four in terms of price per Kingdom Card and the set with which most people have the most complaints.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drift -
msg tools
oh, didn't consider that, I'll probably end up with more then 4 people wanting to play. So I'd probably need Intrigue then... In order to support more then 6 players (ie the two groups of 4) you need Intrigue plus the base set?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes you do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
DriftRS wrote:
oh, didn't consider that, I'll probably end up with more then 4 people wanting to play. So I'd probably need Intrigue then... In order to support more then 6 players (ie the two groups of 4) you need Intrigue plus the base set?

In order to support more than 4, you need both Intrigue and the base set. Either of the two alone doesn't come with enough Estates and Provinces to support a single group of 5 or 6.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
salty53 wrote:
DriftRS wrote:

In order to support more than 4, you need both Intrigue and the base set. Either of the two alone doesn't come with enough Estates and Provinces to support a single group of 5 or 6.

Or Curses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
jeffwolfe wrote:
Or Curses.

Very true; the Curses slipped my mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Arnold
United States
Westland
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
If you want a fast and relatively simple game, get the base set. If you want a slower game with more complexity and decisions, get Intrigue. Those are standalone sets, so you would need nothing else to play.

For the expansions which are not standalone: If you want to play with a lot of planning ability, get Seaside. If you want a half-size expansion where cards cost a special second currency, get Alchemy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Parker
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
As with everyone else, I would probably get them all. If you can't afford them all up front, then I would slowly get them, in order of release, as you can afford them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drift -
msg tools
thanks guys, think I'll buy intrigue and the base set first. Wish board games were cheaper, here in aus costs about $80-$90 a set, would cost 300-400 to get all of em

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Crouch
Australia
Adelaide
flag msg tools
DriftRS wrote:
... here in aus costs about $80-$90 a set

Milsims currently have them on sale for $52 each; $36 for Alchemy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drift -
msg tools
ChrisCrouch wrote:
DriftRS wrote:
... here in aus costs about $80-$90 a set

Milsims currently have them on sale for $52 each; $36 for Alchemy.

Thanks, just noticed that and past the news onto a few friends Will be buying from them.

EDIT: Do they often have these sales? If so I may stock up during em.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Volk
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DriftRS wrote:
... here in aus costs about $80-$90 a set ...

surprise Wow, I wonder how I got mine for like a third of the price ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There have been several threads on this topic already. I posted what appears to be a well-received summary of each expansion, at least from my perspective, here. Glean whatever information and/or opinions from it that you wish.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Listed in order of complexity:

Base set: Best for Eurogamers, non-gamers, non-CCG'ers. Better if you don't already know how to play the game.

Seaside: Expansion. Highly rated by BGG.

Intrigue: Best for CCG'ers and Ameritrashers.

Alchemy: Don't even think of this until you've played Intrigue!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BaconSnake wrote:
DriftRS wrote:

1) The Australian Dollar is worth about 87 cents US.
2) The Australian price includes a value-added tax.
3) There are costs associated with importing goods.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Volk
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffwolfe wrote:
BaconSnake wrote:
DriftRS wrote:

1) The Australian Dollar is worth about 87 cents US.
2) The Australian price includes a value-added tax.
3) There are costs associated with importing goods.

Oooooh, aus = Australia. That makes a lot of sense then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.