Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: [Diplomacy]BGG-05-1-Fall1901 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The moves are below. The map is at the link below.

This is a fairly standard opening, as far as I'm concerned, with a couple of exceptions. I'm a bit surprised to see a bounce in Piedmont, and something is afoot when someone gains the Black Sea unopposed.

Fall moves will be due Tuesday at 7pm EST. Good stabbing!

A Ber - Mun
F Kie - Den
A Mun - Ruh

f sev - bla
a mos - ukr
a war - gal
f stp - bot

Fleet in Brest will move to Mid-Atlantic.
Army in Marseilles moves to Piedmont.
Army in Paris moves to Burgundy.

A Venice-Piedmont
F Naples - Ionian Sea
A Rome - Apu

F Tri-->Alb
A Vie-->Tri
A Bud HOLD

F Ankara - Constantinople
A Constantinople - Bulgaria
A Smyrna Hold

F(Edi)-NWG (Norweagan Sea)
F(Lon)-NTH (North Sea)
A(Liv)-Yor (York)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Press
The Hapsburg Empire welcomes all peaceful neighbors to its domains, but we have heard disturbing reports of our sheep being abused and maltreated in our Galician province. It seems that Russian irregulars are conducting themselves very irregularly with the livestock, and our shepherds are in a pronounced state of shock. We ask the Russian Tsar, our friend, to order these bandits to cease and desist immediately. We do not want the wool being pulled over our eyes!

Arch-Duke Natus

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Necessary Evil
United States
Glen Arm
Maryland
flag msg tools
Yes, I play the Bass.
badge
Sweet Holy Moses, Fruit F*cker Prime!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sheep? we thought they were Austrian women!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Press
Article on The Juggernaut, the Russian-Turkish alliance

http://www.diplomacy-archive.com/resources/strateg...naut.ht...

Really relevant portions include:

The Juggernaut will be in a better position if Austria opens defensively with F(Tri)-Ven or F(Tri)Std and this would be a good goal for initial diplomacy. Indeed, if you can sow enough distrust between Austria and Italy it may not even be hard to achieve. This immediately prevents a second build for Austria and opens up the possibility of a second build for Turkey. Of course if Russia can persuade Italy to attack Austria from the beginning of the game and perhaps even seize Galicia in S01 then the Balkan battle will be almost won already. Russia will only get one build unless he can take possession of Gal in S01 or if he can persuade Germany to allow him to take Sweden. Neither of these are easy to accomplish. Turkey is also probably going to be limited to one build unless there is immediate hostilities between Italy and Austria which allow him to take Greece.

Nevertheless, it is possible that by 1904-1905 the Juggernaut will control over half of the board.

But it need not be so: any alliance can be stopped. First, it is imperative that any western power suspecting the emergence of a Juggernaut can get Italy on side. If Italy assists (directly or indirectly) with the partition of Austria then she will release the centres that the Juggernaut needs to gain momentum. Even if Italy has attacked Austria from S01, both should be prepared to bury the hatchet if a Juggernaut is on the cards. Of course it may be very hard to persuade Italy of the sense of such a course of action, as Italy no doubt believes that she has a firm alliance with Russia and that they will both move on Turkey once Austria is dealt with - though in practice Russia may be quite content for Turkey and Italy to face each other while Russia seeks gains elsewhere.

The Juggernaut remains a fearsome alliance. It requires mutual trust early on (something Diplomacy players are not very good at), but once established can do very well indeed, because to be stopped the other players have to take a long-term view (something else Diplomacy players are not very good at!).

Just some light reading for you all in the new year!

Arch-Duke Natus

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
News
Hello,

As far as press goes, if you're posting white press (i.e. not anonymous) feel free to go ahead and post it in my latest journal. You need only send press which you intend to be anonymous to me, and I'll post it when I get a chance. However, I won't post any grey press that looks black (that is, press which looks like you're impersonating another player)

Also, when you send your moves in, you can feel free to use timothy.paterson at utoronto dot ca. Could you please include the game number BGG-05-01 somewhere in the subject so I can easily sort out which moves are for which game?

Thanks, remember moves due tomorrow at 7pm EST.

Tim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Ben-Ezra
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So here I am, scouring the profiles, collections, and Geeklists of my opponents, looking for any insight into their personalities that I can find.

Am I the only one? I think not....

Seth Ben-Ezra
Great Wolf
Herr Kaiser

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dip addiction
Don't worry when you start searching for clues to your opponents behaviour....worry when you start planting false clues as to your own.devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
+++ Secret Dispatch +++
Suggest Venice - Trieste. A Friend.
+++ End of Dispatch +++

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
+++ Secret Dispatch +++
Suggest Black Sea - Ankara. A Friend.
+++ End of Dispatch +++

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Hunt
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Email Addresses are easier
Email Addresses are easier - and command a quicker response (from me, anyway). I think I have 5 out of the 7 (GM included). Reach me here: sdhunt at gmail dot com.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Hunt
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Email Addresses are easier - and command a quicker response (from me, anyway)

Or at least they would be if I could connect to the gmail server. Been unable to for the last 20 minutes... and 30 minutes to go before the deadline angry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Merchant
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Would it be too much to ask...
for the seasonal results to include the names of the powers and their email addresses, if applicable? I think that would make things very convenient, at least for me.

Arch-Duke Natus
nvenice2@aol.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.