Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
19 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: Please help me find a game for me and my wife.. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
adam kinlow
United States
chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
I am looking for a game that we would like that is fun with only 2 players. We have played Settlers (w/ 4 players) which is good, and Zombies! (loved the theme and the art...but the game was slooow). Hopefully that helps with what we are looking for. I have heard good things about Lost Cities which is two players...what do you think? Any ideas? (no military, 45min-1:30 per game, fantasy theme is a plus, everything else is fair game) Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Martin
United States
scotia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
games
have you tried playing zombies with only 15 or 20 tiles me and my buddy play that way and its shorter and more fun

i would reccomend:
Attika- resource management and city building, easy to learn relatively short should take more than 3o or 04 min once you learn it.
phoenix:
great two player abstract great colorful wooden bits
alhambra: palace building i really enjo this game with two and its relatively simple to learn.

good luck

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
2 Recommendations...
Lost Cities or Cribbage

Lost Cities seems to be an extremely popular two-player card game for couples these days. Just reviewing the entry on BGG will almost assure you of its universal acceptance among card gamers everywhere. Tales abound here of the Wife/ GF/ SO that loved Lost Cities.

Cribbage is a traditional 2-player card game with some interesting asymetry between hands of the dealer and the opponent. It's also good with three and even four. (Four-handed pegging tracks are available.) It's my personal favorite and was popular during the '40's.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Whitehurst
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Big City
One of the only games my wife enjoys is Big City. It is a pretty good two player game with a tight-race scoring situation (each player jumps ahead often). The bits are excellent, and the game is quick and fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Penny
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
2 player
There are many two player games related geeklists, so please check those too.
Lost cities is great, it's my first game and i play it a lot with my boyfriend so definitely get that.
If you like fantasy themed two player i say get Blue Moon and expansions. I don't have the expansions but they all seems very nice. The graphics are very very nice, you would love it, so look into that.
We also like Carcassonne, Cafe international, Tally Ho, St. Petersburg, San Juan, etc. Some are easier than others, but all are under 1 hour for sure.
Good luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Olson
United States
Auburn
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife is really liking Blue Moon. We also play alot of Carcassonne and Carcassonne Hunters & Gatherers. She seems to like Daytona 500 also.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary Weisbeck
United States
Black Hawk
South Dakota
flag msg tools
"Blow up the damned ship, Jean-Luc!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome
What a great way to start the year, joining the Geek!

Lost Cities would be an excellent game to start with. It's light, fun and plays quickly.

If you like abstract games, Blokus is great with 2 or 4. Quick, fun and addictive.

For something more in a board game, check out Hansa or Samurai. Both play very well with 2 but also play 4.

If you want some great suggestions, click on View All Geeklists at the left and "search" for 2-player or wife. This will give you plenty of lists of games to check out!

Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Olson
United States
Auburn
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Duuh. I totally forgot about Blokus. My wife would play that anytime...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Campbell
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Kosmos 2-player line has a lot of games that fit these criteria. A couple I've played recently are Odin's Ravens and Blue Moon. They are each 2 player games, fairly light but with enough strategy to make them interesting, don't usually take more than an hour or so to play, and have nice artwork. They are also fantasy themed. There are some more games in that line that I've heard are good, but haven't played, including Kahuna and Balloon Cup.

Here's a geeklist with many, if not all, of the Kosmos 2-player games:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist.php3?action=view&listi...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary Weisbeck
United States
Black Hawk
South Dakota
flag msg tools
"Blow up the damned ship, Jean-Luc!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't believe I forgot about the Carcassonne games. My favorite is Hunters and Gatherers, but The castle is very good for 2 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Swafford
United States
Antioch
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mb
This is a familiar dilema
My girlfriend and I have tried a multitude of two player games. I prefer games that require 3 or more players, but there are a few 2 player ones that I enjoy. Here's the best ones in my opinion..

Hera and Zeus
Dracula (excellent theme)
Castle (I love this game..rich fantasy elements..use the 2 player variant found on the designer's website)
Lord of the Rings: the confrontation

Lost Cities is OK. It gets kind of predictable after you've played it a few times.
Hope this was helpful!

--Swaffo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim M-L
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
look at the top 50
I would also suggest carcassonne.
I recently traded for a copy of cathedral and that is a vary fun game. it is much quicker than the 45 minute time.

Other than that I would suggest you just look at the top 50 lists and see if anything jumps out at you. Many of them will meet your requirements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anson Li
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Heh
My g/f and I regularly play Blokus, Lotr and Lost Cities. Those are all good stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Rasch
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lots of good suggestions
People have allready mentioned most of the games I was thinking about. You say fantasy theme is a plus, so I'd recommend Lord Of The Rings: The Confrontation.

Lost Cities is ok, but there are many of the other games mentioned here, that I think is alot better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
adam kinlow
United States
chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
thanks everyone
I think I have a lot to work with here. I'm thinking I'm going to pick up Blue Moon and LOTR confrontation, but I'm going to check out the lists and see what comes out of it. These are all great suggestions and feel free to keep them coming! This site is great...13 replies in less than a day!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I strongly suggest cathedral.
It's the only game I can consistently get any woman/girl, including my wife, to play with me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Palfreyman
United Kingdom
Swindon
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Another vote for...
...Lost Cities. Amazingly easy to play - my wife bought it me for Christmas and we learnt how to play it and had our first game between courses during Christmas lunch!

We must have played it a dozen times since and its one of the few games that she'll initiate.

Its quick, very addictive and has heaps of depth to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AxonDomini
United States
Smithtown
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I love Blue Moon, but you really do need the expansions for it to shine. Have you looked unto Settlers:The Card Game? Another one we like, though it is a bit longer (60-90 minutes). We don't have the expansions yet, but I hear they make the game even better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Verschueren
Belgium
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeon Twister
I can't recommend Dungeon Twister enough. It's a great 2 player game that has it all IMO... Nice bits, a fun theme and great gameplay with games being about 45minutes.

It's a French game, but with no language dependent components, and the english translation of the rules can be found here on the geek.

Worth checking out!

Cheers,
Thomas

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.