GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,032 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Request From Community rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Schaffer
United States
Apopka
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone who owns these games;

Risk
Axis & Allies

I need the someone to measure the boards and post the sizes for me. (In English measurements)

I'm looking for a cheap game (something I can pick up for $20 at Wal-Mart or Toys R Us) to scrap that has a board that is at least 20 x 30.

Any help would be nice.

Thank You,
Stephen
BGG Navaji
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll try to remember to check for mass-market games when I get home.

But if you haven't already done so, you might check thrift stores in your area. It's a lot cheaper to buy a game at a thrift store, and sometimes, the boards are in really good shape -- better than you would need for a prototype, anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Ham
United States
The Colony
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
HONK HONK
mbmbmbmbmb
Just went and measured mine. They're all just a little smaller than what you're looking for, but the dimensions may not be the same as the current printing. I included the copyright date printed on the box for reference. All of these were found at thrift stores, and I agree with Bernard, try looking there before buying a new one.

Risk (1998) is 19" x 29"
Risk (1975) is 20 1/2" x 22"
Axis & Allies (1987) is 19" x 32 1/2"

Also, if you live near a college campus, you might want to look in a store catering to art students. I went into one last year looking for something suitable for a gameboard, and they gave me two 24" x 36" sheets of chipboard (mounting board) for free, because to them, they were scraps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Parker
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It all depends on the version. I have four different editions of Risk, with three different sizes of boards:

1968: 22.5 x 21.25 bifold
1975: 22.5 x 21.25 bifold
1990: 28.5 x 19.5 trifold (Risk + Castle Risk)
1998: 29.5 x 19.75 six-fold

The last one is likely closest to the size of the boards in current editions, but as you see it's just a smidge under 20x30.

I do have Axis & Allies, but as my copy is the original MB GameMaster version the measurements are probably about as useful to you as the ones for that 1968 copy of Risk. Besides, it's further back in the closet.

(Note: differences from Jonathan's measurements are likely due to my having measured edge-to-edge rather than the size of the printed portion.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Here's what you need to be looking for then: Shrek 2: The Twisted Fairy Tale Game

This measures at 20X30, and has 4 sections (while you do have a 'cut' in this), as I am going to be using such for mounting yet another "Gamemap" onto that as well.
cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.