GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,365 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Space Hulk (third edition)» Forums » General

Subject: First play and got my butt kicked by the Stealers. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Douglas Glisson
Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
www.scottsigler.com/gfl
badge
I'm gonna keep signing my posts so just let it go already.
mbmbmbmbmb
That first mission is brutal. I tried cutting them down but they just keep coming. I rolled like crap too. I tried running to the objective but that didn't work either. I even ran the flamer through the flame marker and survived trying a hail Mary to get the the objective. Am I right in playing that Marienes can't shoot over each others shoulders? 4 guys in a line and only one fires is tough to win.

Great game. Can't wait to try other missions.

Kraken Fan #69
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tazar Yoot
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a very hard mission indeed but once you know some key strategies it can make it a bit less challenging.
Spoiler (click to reveal)
The key is taking the top corner just before the flamer room as soon as you can (within 2 turns basically). Don't forget your free shots with every movement as well and don't forget you can shoot doors to save AP and CP.

The starting placement of your figures really plays a critical roll as well in determining your success.

To answer your question, yes you are correct in your understanding that marines cannot shoot through or past other marines. Them being in a row makes the mission very challenging not to mention changing their order in line is nearly impossible.

One last thing I noticed. You mentioned running your flamer into the fire as a last ditch effort, I myself tried this same thing in one of my first games. If I'm not mistaken however, this is not a legal move, nothing (marine or genestealer) can walk into or through a tile section while it is on fire. If someone else can verify that I would appreciate it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Glisson
Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
www.scottsigler.com/gfl
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I was working with Pg 21 Persistent Effects how surviving pieces in the section (no firm definition for section here) can move but must roll to see if they are destroyed each time they enter a new square. I'm not even sure how to rule the "section" when the area of effect is centered in one hall tile. I did notice upon rereading that the fire markers should have been removed during the Mission Status phase and thus wouldn't have been there during my turn. Live and learn I guess. Or more aptly in "Die and learn" in this case.

With free shots for every movement during overwatch, does that mean I get a shot for every square that the stealer moves or just one shot per movement turn?

Kraken Fan #69
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tazar Yoot
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To answer your question about defining 'section' in Space Hulk a section is literally a map section tile. The physical tile itself counts as a section. It's weird I know, to think if the flamer is shot into a room it's getting far more coverage and bang for its buck than say if it shoots just a tiny corner tile or a 1x2 tile but that is the way it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tazar Yoot
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
krakenfan69 wrote:

With free shots for every movement during overwatch, does that mean I get a shot for every square that the stealer moves or just one shot per movement turn?

Kraken Fan #69

I think you may have the free shots a bit confused. I'll try to explain. There are two different types of free shots and they are completely unrelated.

The first being overwatch. When a marine is in overwatch they get a free shot for each movement the genestealer makes in their line of sight, overwatch shots are not limited and they will continue fireing each space the genestealer moves.

The next free shot is in regards to when a marine takes a movement action, whether it be a step forward, backward or even a turn, they can fire their storm bolted one time without the need to pay 1 action point or command point for that shot, hense why I called it a free shot.

I gave both of these explanations in a barebone fashion (sorry typing on an iPhone) I definately recommend you read the rulebooks exact definitions of each of these rules to really familiarize yourself with their mechanics.

My original advice regarding not forgetting free shots was in regards to the free shots a marine gets when he makes a movement, it's easy to forget or overlook and can really make a huge difference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thornton
United States
Canby
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TazarYoot wrote:
One last thing I noticed. You mentioned running your flamer into the fire as a last ditch effort, I myself tried this same thing in one of my first games.

How did you even flame the section in the first place given the sorry state of Brother Zael's flamethrower?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Corn
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Soon you'll be wearing my sword like a shish kebab!
badge
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.
mbmbmbmbmb
TazarYoot wrote:
If I'm not mistaken however, this is not a legal move, nothing (marine or genestealer) can walk into or through a tile section while it is on fire. If someone else can verify that I would appreciate it.

Nothing can move into a flamed section, but surviving pieces can move through a section (rolling for survival for each square they move).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tazar Yoot
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pear Annoyed wrote:
TazarYoot wrote:
One last thing I noticed. You mentioned running your flamer into the fire as a last ditch effort, I myself tried this same thing in one of my first games.

How did you even flame the section in the first place given the sorry state of Brother Zael's flamethrower?

My brother Zeal, without gun or arm, had to go away for a 2 week workshop with Ken and Ryu and learned how to shoot a fireball from his hand. It does the trick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Glisson
Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
www.scottsigler.com/gfl
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TazarYoot wrote:
krakenfan69 wrote:

Kraken Fan #69

I think you may have the free shots a bit confused. I'll try to explain. There are two different types of free shots and they are completely unrelated.

The first being overwatch. When a marine is in overwatch they get a free shot for each movement the genestealer makes in their line of sight, overwatch shots are not limited and they will continue fireing each space the genestealer moves.

The next free shot is in regards to when a marine takes a movement action, whether it be a step forward, backward or even a turn, they can fire their storm bolted one time without the need to pay 1 action point or command point for that shot, hense why I called it a free shot.

I gave both of these explanations in a barebone fashion (sorry typing on an iPhone) I definately recommend you read the rulebooks exact definitions of each of these rules to really familiarize yourself with their mechanics.

My original advice regarding not forgetting free shots was in regards to the free shots a marine gets when he makes a movement, it's easy to forget or overlook and can really make a huge difference.

Yeah, I did forget about the "free" shot during movement so thanks for that and the overwatch clarifications. I will read the rules through at least one more time prior to the next game.

Kraken Fan #69
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James B
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
This mission is about two corners and two corridors:

- The first corner is the one branching to the left once you exit the first room.

- The second corner is further up the board from there, where your flamer marine will turn left to fire on the target.

- The two corridors are the two long parallel corridors that run along the long axis of the board.

Suggested deployment order:
Sergeant, ordinary marine, flamer, remaining marines.

On the first and second marine turns, run the sergeant forward as far as you can, using all available CPs. You are aiming to take the first corner, and place him at the base of one of the two critical corridors. If you get really poor CP draws, you can pretty much lose the game here.

The last marine should cover the corridor to the right of the first room, leading to the stealer entry point. At that point it's nuts for the stealer player to try that entrance.

The second marine in line should be placed just ahead of the junction beyond the first room. He's going to hold the longest corridor, without stopping marines moving on to the parallel corridor. This marine has the toughest job, and if he is rushed from the side corridor, may die.

The flamer follows the sergeant, but doesn't use any of the CPs that the sergeant needs.

The fourth marine acts as backup to the second marine - if the 2nd marine gets killed, this one steps up to take his place.

Once you have two marines in each corridor, and your rear is covered, you just need to get the door to the target destroyed and get your flamer round the corner. Sensible stealer players will be trying to come at you from the side corridor opposite the target room.

Your plan now is to have your sergeant shoot out the door. Advance him up to the junction and get him off the junction tile, to any of the surrounding tiles. Flame the junction tile if need be to hold the stealers off. Move the flamer marine right up to the edge of the flamed tile. On the next turn, even if will mean sacrificing him, have the sergeant shoot out the door. Then just pop the flamer round the corner and you're done.

That's the basics. The most stylish victory involves getting a marine facing from the main junction down the long side corridor to the stealer entrance. If you can get him there, it's all over for the stealers - there's no entrance they can use where they won't be shot to pieces immediately. Getting a marine there however takes a lot of CPs and some luck.

Let us know how you get on!

James
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Glisson
Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
www.scottsigler.com/gfl
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the tips! I'll give it another go and see how I do!

Kraken Fan #69
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game Enthusiast
msg tools
One strategy that seems to work very well for the genestealer player is for the first few turns to spawn as many stealer blips as possible from the upper right spawn point. This location is basically too far away to be targetted by the SM player for the first few turns. The blips spawned from here are then rushed along the top north/south corridor to the 4-way interection that leads to the target room. Some of the blips turn north to take ambush positions along the short north/south corridor leading to the target room and other blibs turn south to take up ambush positions in the short north/south corridor that exists between the two long, central east/west hallways. All blips try to stay at least one space away from the 4-way intersection, so that they are not killed by a flamer shot to the 4-way intersection. These blips just sit and wait and wait. The GS player keeps doing this and tries to build up as many blips in these areas as possible. It is also important to spawn blips from the south entrance on the opposite side of the map from the target room. These blips also stop short of the intersection with the southern most of the long, central east/west corridors, and just wait. The genestealer's strategy is just to build up blips in these locations and wait, as the SM player must somehow get past the ambush sites in order to get LOS on the target room. I find it almost impossible for the SM to win against this strategy--as the GS player almost always forces my SM players into close combat at these ambush points. Barring fabulous luck rolling the dice, it seems like almost a sure loss for the SM player. Is there any strategy that anyone is aware of that can consistently defeat the GS player strategy that I described above (without relying on sheer luck of the dice roll)? Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reaper Steve
United States
Melbourne
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cjb230 wrote:
This mission is about two corners and two corridors:

Let us know how you get on!

James

Necrothread, arise!

Played this mission twice with my son. Twice he didn't have a chance, even with me helping him.

I found this thread, and we did a quick dry-run. We assumed *average* CPs of 3 per turn.
-- The "shoot the doors" tip helped!
-- The stealer player can pile them up behind the door at the critical corner in just two turns. They were waiting for the Sarge and they cut him down.

I get the impression that the Marines need 4+ CPs per turn on the first three turns to be able to even have a chance.

I look forward to trying again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.