GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,840 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Game that can be played solo for 13 year old rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kathy Manning
New Zealand
Taranaki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our son is keen on board games and is looking for a game that can be played solo.
He wants the following:
Option to play solo
Not fantasy
Prefers historical war
Can play under 2 hours
Not too complex - he is only 13
We do have a number of older war games eg Ambush!, Europe at War ( he found this too easy and too much luck involved), Fortress Europa, but he is looking for something a little easier to start with.
We have Memoir 44 which he enjoys - is their an expansion that is good for playing solo or can you suggest something else.
The other criteria is probably affordability - games here in New Zealand are expensive but I would prefer not to go over $100 NZ

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Weckermann
Canada
Powell River
British Coumbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Age matters not, amazing what we can learn when it is fun. An oldie that can be found cheap still is Patton's Best Took me at least 20 Sherman tanks before i got one across the board, Think i was to aggressive when armed with a tin can with a pea shooter against crack troops or armour that you can hit all day. As for newer games my pick has been Field Commander: Alexander or Field Commander: Rommel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathy Manning
New Zealand
Taranaki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I looked at Field Commander: Alexander but it suggests ages 16+. The review that I read didn't explain why that suggested age. If you have it, is it suitable for a 13 yr old? He liked the idea of the theme

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barlow
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
50% less stuff = 50% more game time!
mbmbmbmb
Victory Point Games makes a lot of soloable, low to medium complexity games that may be of interest to your son.

Specifically solo, historical wargames are:
Empires in America (French and Indian War)
Israeli Independence (Formation of Israel)
Levée en Masse (French Revolution)
The Lost Cause (American Civil War)
Soviet Dawn (Russian Revolution)
Zulus on the Ramparts! (Rorke's Drift)

If you don't mind free games that you just have to download the components (maps, counters, rules) and print out, glue onto cardstock and cut out, look at these. I've only listed the games that are either 1 player or are listed in their rules as 1 or 2 player, and not any of the "first-person-shooter" games, where, for example, you play an airplane pilot:

Anzio: The Fight For The Beachhead
Pickett's Charge: Day Three of Gettysburg
D-Day Dice: Free Trial Version
Germania: Drusus' Campaigns 12-9 BC

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Galaxy is Just Packed!
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure if you are trying to get him off the computer, but there are several very fine board games (historical and others) that have been converted to the computer. Most of them have a decent AI for opponents.

But if you are trying to get him off the computer, I completely understand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mutton javelin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Old copy of Rogue Trooper perhaps????

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathy Manning
New Zealand
Taranaki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the suggestions, I can't seem to find a supplier of the Victory Point games here but will ring a few places next week. In the meantime I have printed of D-day and we are looking at a few of the other print and play games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.