GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,457 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

War on Terror» Forums » General

Subject: Actually a good game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Ross
Australia
Springwood
flag msg tools
mb
Simple question for those who have played the game, is it actually an enjoyable game to play ir just a gimmicky load of rubbish?

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I've found it a lot of fun, personally. Many games seem to end up in a race to the bottom that sees governments turn rogue and collapse, leaving the terroists to run the world in a global version of Somalia, but that is the point of the game I think. But that race to the bottom is fun, in a very black-humoured way.

If you enjoy games like Nuclear War or Black Death you might like this. Certainly it is not a serious study of insurgency, nor does it offer any solutions to the problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Huw Morris
United Kingdom
Oxford
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really want to like this game. The guys at Terrorbull seem like thoroughly good chaps, the theme is brilliant, as is the artwork. The Balaclava of Evil is inspired. And yet.. for me it just doesn't work. The game goes on and on, until all the Empires turn terrorist one by one. It probably doesn't help that I play with a fairly hardcore set of gamers. We have fun when we play, but we won't make a suboptimal play just for "the sake of the game" or to make it more fun. It's a shame really, I feel like there's a nucleus of a good game in there trying to get out, but the rules need quite a few tweeks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Sheerin
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Huw's comments are pretty fair (except we're not good chaps, we're utter bastards). Our games seem to be more for "lite" gamers than hardcore ones.

We focus on the entire playing experience - and that includes how the theme is worked into the game. We don't start off with an abstract game mechanic, on top of which is pasted the theme-du-jour. We try and fuse as far as possible the satirical theme with the core mechanics - right down to influencing the choices and behaviour of the players. So the resulting games are more of an "attitude" than just a game. I think it certainly helps to buy into that when playing our games - you'll get more out of them.

WoT isn't a purist strategy game and for most people that's a plus. It's the mix of strategy, chaos and the fun that make the game. For others, that drives them crazy.

That said, with the right people, you can go pretty "deep" with this game. Psychologically speaking, it can get heavy - if everyone wants it too. So when I say "lite", that doesn't mean it's a throw-away game.

All I can say with certainty is that WoT really is one of those games that changes depending on who you play it with. Good luck with it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John B.
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It isn't just a gimmicky load of rubbish, I'll say that much. Your mileage may vary, but it is more than just a loud box and a splashy title.

WoT borders on "party game" status in the best sense of the phrase. A healthy sense of humor is required, and maybe some booze. Definitely play with more than four if you can. Don't play to perfect yourself within the system. Agricola this is not. Instead, play to have fun (this includes: play to win, play to screw others, play to laugh).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Butler
United States
Fort Walton Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are looking for a more serious take on the subject, check out:

Labyrinth: The War on Terror (2010)

It is coming out very soon. If you hurry and pre-order it is $38 through GMT Games. Starts shipping on November 5.

The basic gameplay for that game is sort of like Twilight Struggle (card-driven on a map), but there are a lot of differences that make it interesting. Each side takes 2 turns in a row, allowing for interesting card combinations. It's also not possible for one side to simply decide to play their card to undo what the other side did...both sides play very differently. The US plays to try to befriend the Muslim world and eliminate radical terrorist cells. The Jihadist player plays to try to restore the Caliphate (degrade enough countries at or near Islamic Rule), or inflict mass casualties on the US by successfully launching a WMD on the US. If neither side achieves their immediate win victory conditions in the prescribed timeline (which could be 1, 2, or 3 plays through the deck), the winner depends on how many resources are controlled by each side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redmond
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a great game with the right attitude and personality match. Family much surprised when Mom started lobbing nukes right away (and very much enjoyed doing so, might I add). AP-prone father did not seem to enjoy it as much as other family members, but he did enjoy it. Sneaky youngest son had a good lead with careful management of oil riches, but we recognized that if we all went terrorist, the game would end with no "losers", so we called the game at that point after about three hours. We had a good time and it generated happy family memories of members wearing the balaclava of EVIL. We all appreciated the mechanics supporting the theme in a deep and elegant manner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.