Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: New Year's Eve Gameplay rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rhonda Quiroz
United States
Leavenworth
Kansas
flag msg tools
I just can't believe it even now as I think back to Friday night. My dad, Ray (my husband), Chana (my sister) and I sitting down at the dining room table to play games together in celebration of the New Year approaching. We started with a few of the party type games, then progressed to some that were on my "not played" list. The first game was "Apples to Apples" and much to my surprise it did not go over well at all with dad or Ray! We played to 3 pts. then reboxed the contents Second on the list was "Reminiscing" because I thought dad might have fun recalling his past through story telling. This was another one that didn't score any favorable points. I was beginning to perspire thinking to myself that at any minute dad and Ray would get up from the table in disgust and make their way to the living room in search of the remote control. Chana thought that a round of "Imagin-iff" might bring some life to the "party", so we agreed to give it a whirl. It wasn't long before everyone was talking and laughing! My family is very unpredictable! The 4 of us played until 11:50pm, then rang in the new year together at midnight with a small toast of champagne. Afterwards, dad retired and Ray located the remote, so Chana and I decided to pour another Starbuck's frappucino and drag out the old standby, "Scattergories". Played this until we suffered from word-game analysis paralysis, then tore the shrink off of "Flowerpower". What a nice change! Comforting and fun too! Just the perfect followup! We played 2 games, each of us chalking up 1 win, then pulled the shrink from my copy of "Metro". Time was flying by and the trashcan runneth over with empty glass bottles from the fraps we were consuming. Once we finished the second game of Metro (1 win each again), I glanced at my watch----6am! Chana asked if I had any other games we could play that wouldn't take too long rulewise and otherwise. We decided on "Lost Cities". Hmmmm....this one was a challenge as neither one of us could fully concentrate. Sorta stumbled thru it, but I have to wonder, what is the purpose of discarding cards in your hand? Once the game ends, are the cards left in your hand counted against you? I couldn't locate that in the rulebook..? Guess we'll have to do more research on this before attempting it again We finally ended the "morning" at 8:50am surrounded by stacks of games in the dining room, leftover homemade soup on the stove, a big pile of shrinkwrap levitating between empty bottles in the trash can, and the memorable sound of box farts in my head.

All in all, a VERY enjoyable night/morning! I'm hoping that we've started a new tradition in our family and also pray that this won't be just a once a year game night.

Hope all of you have a HAPPY NEW YEAR too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louise Holden
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like quite an evening!

Lost Cities; each turn you are required to play or discard. Since each time you play you (generally) reduce your options- for instance playing a 9 on top of a 5 means that you can no longer play a 6,7 or 8 if you draw them- you often want to hold back the high cards until you've managed to get the ones in the middle. So you have to discard instead. Which of course makes that card available to your opponent so often you don't want to do that either. I love games where you're damned either way!

We attended a Murder Mystery evening for the first time for New Year's Eve with my sister and husband and their friends. Very entertaining as it turned out, though more playacting than either roleplaying or deduction. I turned out to be the murderer, though I didn't find that out myself until the last half hour.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Sandall
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahhh
New Years Eve + games with good friends = joy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rhonda Quiroz
United States
Leavenworth
Kansas
flag msg tools
Hey Louise! Sounds like you had a good time too! I have never tried the murder mystery games yet as we never have enough people together at one time to do so. Happy New Year to you and your's!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.