GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,804 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
15 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Conflict of Heroes: Storms of Steel! – Kursk 1943» Forums » General

Subject: My First Consim Game! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lance Richardson
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, now I've gone and done it!

I bought my first consim game (I like Memoir 44 but don't put it in the same category as this game or games in the realm of GMT) and I'm eagerly looking forward to learning it. I've opened it, smelled it and punched it already, but haven't had time to sit down, lay everything out, pour a strong drink (tequila and just about anything), put on some background music and dive into the rules.

Yes, this is going to be a very intimate experience for me. It's my first time and I want it to be special.

Before I jump into the rules of SoS, do you have any suggestions in regards to other related material I may want to have for quick reference? Supplemental documents? General advice? Do the rules require immense patience? Are they easy to follow?

I want to know what to expect before I begin. I don't mind if I'm told it will be a mind-numbing experience... that would be ok, so long as I know that going in.

1 - 10 in Difficulty?

I like to be able to go from start to finish when learning the rules of a game. How much time should I have alotted for this?

I know that's a lot of questions, but I've been waiting for a couple of years to finally take the plunge into that from which there is no return..... wargaming!

Be gentle...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike M
United States
Pisgah Forest
North Carolina
flag msg tools
www.gameholecon.com
badge
129/420
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't need any of the rules updates for the first scenario, but you can find them on the main BGG page for Steel. And note that you only need to read up to the part where it says "now go play firefight 1".

Rather than tequila, vodka or a good German beer would be more appropriate. The game is easy to learn. You should be playing FF1 before you are one drink into it.

Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Richardson
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sheep wrote:
You don't need any of the rules updates for the first scenario, but you can find them on the main BGG page for Steel. And note that you only need to read up to the part where it says "now go play firefight 1".

Rather than tequila, vodka or a good German beer would be more appropriate. The game is easy to learn. You should be playing FF1 before you are one drink into it.

Enjoy!

Good points all around. I probably will go with German beer.
Specifically: Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Ratz
Canada
Thunder Bay
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
flashinglogo wrote:
eagerly looking forward to learning it. I've opened it, smelled it and punched it already, but haven't had time to sit down, lay everything out, pour a strong drink (tequila and just about anything), put on some background music and dive into the rules.

I love the smell of new games in the morning. Smells like, victory.

By all means, read through the entire rule set, which will likely take about 2 hours, but don't expect to master the game in one read through. The wonderful thing about these rules is that they are broken up into sections, and you can play after learning only a few rules.

As for music, perhaps Wagner?!?

Enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Richardson
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wagner?

Sorry, not familiar. Educate me!

I typically listen to Band of Horses, obscure Led Zep tracks (like The Rain Song, Gallows Pole), The Black Keys and some Dave Matthews.

I picked out their more mellow and lesser-known tracks and created a playlist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Parker
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Great game design makes the complex simple, replayability maximum, and abstraction credible.
badge
It’s not how well you roll that counts but how well the dice suit the game.
mbmbmbmbmb
flashinglogo wrote:
Well, now I've gone and done it!

Before I jump into the rules of SoS, do you have any suggestions in regards to other related material I may want to have for quick reference? Supplemental documents? General advice? Do the rules require immense patience? Are they easy to follow?

Step 1 - Print out the revised v2 rulebook at he Conflict of Heroes site.

Step 2 - Print out the revised SoS Firefight rulebook at the Conflict of Heroes site.

Step 3 - Print out the latest SoS game charts at the Conflict of Heroes site.

Step 4 - Enjoy. The rules are very well written and easy to absorb. The fact that Line of Sight it determined by entire hexes rather than pieces of string passing through bit of graphics makes this a very intuitive game to grasp.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse LeBreton
United States
Kingsford
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Step 3. The english version of the summary chart for SoS is not up to date. It lists the cost for vehicles to cross small bulkas as +3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Sargent
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
flashinglogo wrote:
Wagner?

Sorry, not familiar.

Wagner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Schubert
United States
Port Republic
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play WWII era music: swing (glenn miller, songs from the Spanish Civil War (there is a site with MP3 files for free - just search), Soviet music. It does add to the experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.