GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,300 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Macao» Forums » Rules

Subject: Ships and Wares rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
D Clevenger
United States
Sunnyvale
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
During the same turn can you move your ship to multiple ports and drop off one or more wares at each port?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Clevenger
United States
Sunnyvale
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought so but wanted to check.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, ship moves aren't limited to once per turn, unlike some of the other actions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl with one "R"
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I sure hope so, because often my final-turn strategy relies on being able to do this:

1) Stockpile a million action cubes for the final turn
2) Circumnavigate the board, delivering multiple wares to multiple cities
3) ????
4) Profit!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nbread wrote:

I've seen this mentioned before, and it puzzles me. One person mentioned something like 35 or 40 in the last round, and I don't even think that's possible.

Cubes don't accumulate, they diminish in the last rounds compared to the normal course of the game, because most of the faces give you 1 cube only for the current round, rather than future rounds.

Last round: 2 cubes guaranteed.

Round 11: 4 cubes max, but usually you'll get 2 for the last round. Since each die has a 5/6th (83%) chance of giving you just 1 (only a natural 2 gets you 2 cubes for next round, anything else equals 1 that has to be spent now). With 6 dice, you're about 66% to get one 2.

Round 10: 6 max, but again 5 out of the 6 faces won't help you for the final round. Probably you'll get 3 for the last round (still 66% to get one three), and something for this round and next.

Round 9: 8 max, but still the same math...

Meanwhile, this entire time you've been forced to take cards, and they're piling up, and you're trying to buy them in order to not get the -3 penalty...

I just don't see much room for stockpiling here, especially with everything being converted to 1's the closer you get.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Clevenger
United States
Sunnyvale
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
nbread wrote:

I've seen this mentioned before, and it puzzles me. One person mentioned something like 35 or 40 in the last round, and I don't even think that's possible.

Cubes don't accumulate, they diminish in the last rounds compared to the normal course of the game, because most of the faces give you 1 cube only for the current round, rather than future rounds.

Last round: 2 cubes guaranteed.

Round 11: 4 cubes max, but usually you'll get 2 for the last round. Since each die has a 5/6th (83%) chance of giving you just 1 (only a natural 2 gets you 2 cubes for next round, anything else equals 1 that has to be spent now). With 6 dice, you're about 66% to get one 2.

Round 10: 6 max, but again 5 out of the 6 faces won't help you for the final round. Probably you'll get 3 for the last round (still 66% to get one three), and something for this round and next.

Round 9: 8 max, but still the same math...

Meanwhile, this entire time you've been forced to take cards, and they're piling up, and you're trying to buy them in order to not get the -3 penalty...

I just don't see much room for stockpiling here, especially with everything being converted to 1's the closer you get.

Not exactly. Try this on:

Round 7 (last round you can roll 6's) you put 6 cubes in last round pile.
Round 8 you get a 5
Round 9 you get a 4
Round 10 you get a 3
Round 11 a 2
Round 12 two 1's

So max for last round is 22 ACs if you are able to put one die in each of the last 6 rounds. Now obviously this won't happen but I've had a number of games where I had 10+ cubes in the last round
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, 10 is reasonable. 20 would be remote, given the percentages, requirements and punishments in the game.

35-40 (and millions, depending on how that's defined above) is not reasonable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Comfort
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can potentially get 42 cubes for the last turn from natural die rolls. It wouldn't be a good plan though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SkoT StarK
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:

I'd like to stress this. Are your hoarded cubes going to net you enough PP on your final turn to counter the -3 punish markers and penalties from unactivated cards on your plateau? I'd love to squirrel away a ton of AC for my final turn but I'm usually too busy keeping my plate clean.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Last game I played I had somewhere around 20 cubes on the last turn. 12 of them went to steering the ship (with two from the Sail Loft). It was not my intent to save up like that, but I generally try and use one die as a short-term collector and one long-term each turn. The dice kept feeding me what I needed short term and the other long-term choices were unpalatable (4 more black where I had already squirreled 5 away and stuff like that), so I dumped more into the last turn. It worked out well: I was able to deliver all three Jade and two each of three others. I laid some good city-quarter work and camped the wall to make sure I delivered before the rest on that turn, and was able to clean my card. And because I had picked up some of the "game end" cards it ended up being a slaughter. I will probably never see another game like that again.

The thing to note though that isn't because I hoarded at the end that I won, it's that because I was able to meet my short term needs with dice left over for other disbursal I had some nice big-haul turns at the end. The "lots of cubes at the end" was an effect more than a cause.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.