Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: The Xmas games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Turner
United States
Wauwatosa
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always try to bust out some games on the unsuspecting family when we get together for xmas. This time people were actually requesting to play Betrayal at the House on the hill, but I got them hooked on Colossal Arena as well.

House on the hill is a great game, but when you have a bunch of people rather than 3-4, it's December and not October, and everyone is drunk and getting interuppted by distant relative phone calls, scoldings of the kids and 401k talk, it's hard to really keep people focused (not near as bad as talisman where, IMO everyone should do 3-5 bong hits just to keep people at the table the entire time). Colossal arena was almost perfect for our needs. Very fast, very cut throat and easy to set up and play again (which we did at least four times). I lost one of the green pieces (I mentioned we were half in the bag yes?), and did not win a SINGLE game, but it was a great time. The cards are actually starting to get worn, a sign of a classic!

It's so silly that I pissed upon this game from a great height when it first came out in 97 or so as Titan arena. "This isn't TITAN!" I said, "Why didn't you guys just remake TITAN?" This to some poor sod at the avalon hill booth.

During the gaming time, as I was touting the fun of Colossal, Catan and Gangland, someone made the mistake of mentioning monopoly. I had no choice but to go on my almost boilerplate tirade about how not only is Monopoly a terrible game, but it hurt development of GOOD board games in the united states for most of it's existance. People got that wide eyed glaze as I ranted on, dashing to the ground their positive comments about monopoly with salient and usually jargonistic attacks (thanks a lot boardgamegeek.com).

Later during my vacation I saw this show called "the games we grew up with" or some such tripe. It had chutes and ladders, payday, life, Operation and of course, the loathesome marketing beast that is monopoly. They had a bunch of people they cornered in the food court of the mall to make cameo comments and two of the three people responded to the off camera question "how did you feel about monopoly?" with "oh I loved it, but I don't remember finishing a game." Then they showed the machines. The infernal machines spewing out monopoly money by the billions upon billions, ensuring that we as a culture will never be free of it's drab, milktoast, teatotaling clutches.

Not once in the show did they mention the paradigm shift, the well-spring from which a great deal of the gaming goodness, both board and computer, in the last 30 years flows: Dungeons and Dragons. It's just pathetic that here in 2005 where we can look back and see the scope and breadth of the effect on gaming and culture around the world the D&D had, that it's not included in a TV show about games. What did monopoly or the hula hoop influence? closet pediphilia and a bad habit with the brandy manhattans.

Speaking of titan, I found a web cartoon with a Dave Trampier joke: http://www.burgereburger.com. The toons just come up randomly so you just have to refresh the page until the trampier one comes up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bailey
United States
Broomfield
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
GO ROCKIES!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny post! Even to this day D&D has a bad rep. I got some D&D minis at Gencon and wanted to send them to my wifes niece and nephew. She practically freaked out! She thought it was a horrible idea and didn't want her nephew to grow up to be "a geek." So I called her brother and said "Hey, I have some D&D minis. It's not really D&D, just some cool little figurines that you move on these grids and attack with dice." It was silent for a moment and then "No...I don't think that's a good idea."

What do you suppose would have happened if I had Star Wars minis instead? These are basically the same game made by the same company with the same rules except it's Stat Wars. It would have probably been a good idea. Oh well...what to do?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Turner
United States
Wauwatosa
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or pokemon, yu gi oh, Dragonballz!

it's the Mazes and monsters curse!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Real and Only
United States
Aubrey
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Mama Say
Mama say D & D is of the Debil.......

An Aligators are honery cause they got a tooth ache......

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.