GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,439 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Descent: The Road to Legend» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Campaign #1 - Spider Goddess - Session 5 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sebastian D.
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Previously: Session 1, Session 2, Session 3, Session 4

Back again for our Campaign #1, formatting will still be the same. So (+X) indicates Conquest Tokens CT for the heroes, [+X] indicates CT for the overlord. Red highlighted text will be used for possible rule problems we had and blue highlighted text will mark personal comments. We're playing with Altar of Despair only.

So here we go, we left off with half my turn after Eliza's defeat.

CONQUEST TOKENS: Heroes: 58, OL: 10/80; Total: 138

At end of session:
Player 1 (Kirga): {Rapid Fire}, {Master Archer}; Dwarven Firebomb, Crystal Shield, Chain Mail, 2 Vitality Potions, (Backbiter, Great Bow); XP: 26
Player 2 (Thalia): {Tiger Tattoo}, {Unmovable}; Dragontooth Hammer, Plate Mail, Health Potion, (Mace of Aver, Axe); XP: 26
Player 3 (Jaes): {Spiritwalker}, {Inner Fire}; Staff of the Grave, Chain Mail, Mana Weave, 2 Health Potions, Vitality Potion, (Vitality Potion); XP: 26
Player 4 (Landrec): {Bless}, {Marksman}; Staff of Punishment, Leather Armor, Ring of Prot., Health Potion, Vitality Potion (Bane, Crystallize); XP: 26
Heroes have 950 Gold, Guide, Enchanted Boat, Staff of the Wild and upgraded Great Bazaar at Tamalir.

OL Avatar: Spider Queen, XP: 10/80
Plot: Ascension
OL Upgrades: Sir Alric F. (at Blackwing Swamp), Siege Engines, Silver Beasts, Lord Merrick Farrow (at Frostgate), 2 Trap and 1 Monster Treachery

WEEK 11 continued
Lord Merrick F. does not attack and I buy the Temple of Fire and place it on Forge.

The heroes try to lift the siege on Frostgate and attack Lord Merrick.

Lord Merrick F. @ Raging River

Every figure ending it's movement next to water takes one damage. Treachery chosen is Exploding Rune(for threat), Dark Charm and two Crushing Block as traps and Master Blood Apes as spawns.
This is not a good location, the Manticore is either placed close to the starting tile and easily picked off or behind a water obstacle with no way to move past it actually this was wrong as soaring creatures gain fly. The group is really focused and clears a path to Lord Merrick F. but only has two attacks left to hit him while I do some damage with traps. He survives and flees. The siege is over!
Heroes visit the market but don't buy Crystal of Tival.

WEEK 12
[+2] (12/82), Sir Alric moves to Dawnsmoor, Lord Merrick F. moves to Howling Giant's Hill to start a new siege on Frostgate soon.

The heroes go for their rumor at Gate to the North. They have an encounter, old oracle, allowing them to choose another rumor which of course they decline. In this dungeon the hope to earn enough money to buy Kerak's Map. With it they want to visit Shika and train for fatigue, so they need money for that also. At the beginning they have around 950 gold (I didn't keep track of the money count in detail, but I think it might be interesting to know for future sessions so I will try to pay more attention )

Gate to the North Level 1: #12 – The Throne Room

Well, it looks like an easy level, no silver monsters, two glyphs and two (or three, counting the throne) chests. I place almost all monsters in the right room with the giant, only blocking the chest in the middle room. The heroes clear the middle, so the pathetic Mim the Jester is dead (+2). I have a lucky card draw and play Charge on King Athos and hit three heroes at once. Due to a miss by Landrec with the Pierce rune, King Athos survives (8 armor is a lot!). Heroes kill some more Skeletons and cover all spawn possibilities. I play Rage on King Athos (lucky draw again!), hit two heroes again and kill Landrec [+2]. He comes out with a vengeance and kills King Athos (+2). It's easy for them to cover spawns, they activate both glyphs (+6), open both chests (+2, no treasure) and get the treasure from the throne (don't remember what).

LEVEL SUMMARY: 5 turns; Heroes: +12 (70), ca. 1500 gold, OL: +2 (14/84); Total: +14 (154)
Wow, 12 CT for the heroes already! Feels almost like the earnings of two levels.

Gate to the North Level 2: #22 – The Citadel

A big level for RtL. I choose option 4 (3 Beastmen, 1 Master Blood Ape) and place them all far away with Grelius the Master Sorcerer.

They Run forward but keep out of the corridor. Kirga's anti-spawn blocks favorable positions behind doors. I try to scratch the Blood Ape to get his Berserk but 6 armor is too much even for Beastmen (poor rolling plays its part, too). After one more turn of Readying, Guarding on heroes side and futile Ape-bashing on my side I play Rage and Leap with the Master Blood Ape. What the Beastmen couldn't do, the Guarding heroes can: wound him, but not by much. So he is Berserked and kills Jaes [+4]. Kirga and Landrec kill him together but it takes their whole turn, good for me. Revived Jaes visits the market instead of coming back and buys Falcon's Claw and Archer's Charm. Player 3 (Jaes) also decides he needs more damage output and puts on the Staff of the Grave again. Why do I mention this? Well, of course I kill him in a little bit, so that upcoming 'plus five' will not be so confusing to the reader anymore . And I also thought of this:
Earlier they decided that Cursed weapons are not worth the cost of one Curse token. They also had an interesting discussion about how the Staff of the Grave infects the group with foul thoughts. Many times the players argued to not attack/kill a monster with Undying but instead wait for Jaes to kill it without any chance of resurrection. This then leads to wasted attacks or suboptimal play. I think this is an example for great involvement with the game's theme.
Thalia moves up front and activates the Glyph (+3), Jaes comes out and fails to kill Grelius. The doors are still closed so I can spawn Hellhound. They can both hit Thalia and Jaes and their Pierce really shines against those armored heroes. Grelius finishes off Jaes [+5]. Now there's not much left to do, Thalia kills Grelius (+2) and they make it to the exit portal, leaving the treasure chest unopened (it's too far away on the other side of the dungeon).

LEVEL SUMMARY: 7 turns; Heroes: +5 (75), ca. 600 gold, OL: +9 (23/93); Total: +14 (168)

Gate to the North Level 3: Rumor – Prince of Thieves

We're getting close to the 200 CT mark, only 32 more to go. If we score enough to get to 198 the heroes will not be able to get their secret training, something I would really like to achieve . Ok, maybe that's a little bit much for just one level but it's a Rumor level so we'll see. There will be some SPOILERS for the rumor in the next paragraphs.

On their first turn everyone Guards and on my turn Thalia opens the door to the first room after I couldn't do anything. The room/area is revealed, but what am I still able to do with the monsters? I finished my turn, Player 2 (Thalia) interrupts and does his thing, then back to me again. My turn's not over (FAQ basically says 'rewind your action') but as I did nothing before how far can I rewind? Back to the spawn phase? We play that my monsters get their move, clever play though by the heroes. They kill almost everything except the Hellhounds and the Master Sorcerers which both do little damage in return. After some threat saving I open the yellow rune-locked door. Keeping info secret on rumor levels really annoys my players after they are used to being told everything on random dungeons. This leads to some messy action as I get to spawn Master Blood Apes also on that turn also. I delay them further on the next turn as Caramus the Beastman Leader is revealed, moves last and closes the yellow door again, shutting the heroes out and forcing them to go through the blue door. During this level I kill Landrec [+2], Kirga [+3] and Jaes twice [+8]. The second kill on Jaes comes from removing Caramus with threat and coming back the next turn right next to him. Might seem a pretty strong ability but for 15 threat it's certainly not cheap. I don't think you will ever do this more than once during the level. For me it just was the right thing to do after hurting him with an Explosive Rune trap on the chest (pretty expensive round there just for one kill, but I liked it ) I also cycle the deck [+3]. The heroes activate the glyph (+3), open the chest (+1, no treasure) and kill the leader (+4). Now they've earned their reward: cheaper treasures at the market. They decide to stay at the dungeon location, of course.

LEVEL SUMMARY: 10 turns; Heroes: +8 (83), ca. 1100 gold, OL: +16 (39/109); Total: +24 (192)
DUNGEON SUMMARY: 22 hero turns, 19 OL turns; Heroes: +25, ca. 3200 gold, OL: +27

Somewhere during the dungeon they bought Kerak's Map but they are a little short of the 2000 gold mark which the need to train everyone at Shika's Tree. They plan to sell some items in Frostgate for the missing gold as the bronze age will last enough turns to do it. But they hadn't counted on my next move...
We quit for the day.

At end of session:
CONQUEST TOKENS: Heroes: 83, OL: 39/109; Total: 192

Player 1 (Kirga): {Rapid Fire}, {Master Archer}; Dwarven Firebomb, Crystal Shield, Chain Mail, Archer's Charm, (Backbiter, Great Bow, Falcon's Claw); XP: 51
Player 2 (Thalia): {Tiger Tattoo}, {Unmovable}; Dragontooth Hammer, Plate Mail, (Mace of Aver, Axe); XP: 51
Player 3 (Jaes): {Spiritwalker}, {Inner Fire}; Staff of the Grave, Chain Mail, Mana Weave, XP: 51
Player 4 (Landrec): {Bless}, {Marksman}; Staff of Punishment, Leather Armor, Ring of Prot., (Bane, Crystallize); XP: 51
Heroes have ca. 1700 Gold, Guide, Enchanted Boat, Staff of the Wild, Kerak's Map and upgraded Great Bazaar at Tamalir.

OL Avatar: Spider Queen, XP: 39/109
Plot: Ascension
OL Upgrades: Sir Alric F. (at Dawnsmoor), Siege Engines, Silver Beasts, Lord Merrick Farrow (at Howling Giants Hill), 2 Trap and 1 Monster Treachery

Comments:
They finished the rumor, the reward is pretty good, I think, especially with Tamalir's market already fully upgraded. I didn't outscore them too much in that dungeon. I need to get back to Frostgate fast to raze it. Merrick here and Alric at Dawnsmoor are turning up the pressure. And I have one more lieutenant waiting to jump into action...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corbon Loughnan
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BastiRand wrote:

On their first turn everyone Guards and on my turn Thalia opens the door to the first room after I couldn't do anything. The room/area is revealed, but what am I still able to do with the monsters? I finished my turn, Player 2 (Thalia) interrupts and does his thing, then back to me again. My turn's not over (FAQ basically says 'rewind your action') but as I did nothing before how far can I rewind? Back to the spawn phase?

You only get to rewind the last thing you did (which was declare the turn over.
Normally, that would be it. You can't declare your turn over until every monster has had an opportunity to activate - even if they do nothing on their activation, they still must activate.
FAQ pg8
Q: Do effects like burn and web affect figures at the start of their activation or the start of their controller's turn (for example, the start of the Overlord's turn for his monsters)?
Can the overlord choose to not activate a monster and thus have it not suffer from lingering effects or must all effects be resolved before the Overlord activates monsters?
A: Burn and web effects at the start of their activations.
All monsters must be activated on every turn

DJitD pg9
After the overlord player has had the chance to activate every monster on the board, his turn is over. The round is then complete, and a new round begins.

However, it's a bit more complicated in this case. If Tahlia reveals a new area during her guard action it is immediately revealed.
DJitD pg13
Whenever a hero has line of sight to a previously unrevealed area of the map, it is immediately revealed by the overlord player.
Revealing a new area places new monsters on the map and these monsters have not yet had an opportunity to activate (since they didn't exist before).
Thus, you rewind the OL's turn to the end of his last monster activation, even if it is an 'activation that does nothing'. The OL now has a bunch of new monsters on the board who have no yet had an opportunity to activate and can.

Basically there is no 'end phase' where the OL declares he has finished his turn. His turn simply ends after the last monster completes it's activation.
Thus, when you rewind, you must be rewinding to the completion of that final activation, which leaves ample opportunity for any monster that has not previously had an opportunity to activate.

If there were no monsters left on the board, I'd say that Step 3 must still begin before in can end, so the rewind is still during step 3 and all the 'new' monsters can still activate.

As an aside, it's interesting that you found the Throne Level easy also. Other players fighting against silver eldritch (in copper) have found that one of the hardest levels.
I'm with you, even with silver humanoids, we've always found this a very easy level (though I once did very well with a silver ape spawn trapping two weaker heroes in the SE corner of the throne room, unable to escape between the Giant and the Apes for several turns!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian D.
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey corbon,

I wrote the following on my tea breaks, so it’s not very well thought out or articulated.

concerning The Throne Room: Well, we didn’t have silver eldritch . And Landrec caught two or more skeletons with each Blast attack, while Jaes killed the masters with Staff of the Grave, so all monsters didn’t last long. Except for the giant, where they missed a couple of times (and again, 8 armor is a lot), nothing posed a real challenge here. I can see the danger of silver eldritch though, we’ll just might see this level with them in our Sorcerer King campaign.

Concerning Thalia: Of course the group would have liked it if my turn had been completely over . But we played the way you explained even if we hadn’t caught all those rule references, I guess our supernatural, intuitive grasp of boardgame mechanics helped us here .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corbon Loughnan
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BastiRand wrote:
Hey corbon,

I wrote the following on my tea breaks, so it’s not very well thought out or articulated.

concerning The Throne Room: Well, we didn’t have silver eldritch ;). And Landrec caught two or more skeletons with each Blast attack, while Jaes killed the masters with Staff of the Grave, so all monsters didn’t last long. Except for the giant, where they missed a couple of times (and again, 8 armor is a lot), nothing posed a real challenge here. I can see the danger of silver eldritch though, we’ll just might see this level with them in our Sorcerer King campaign.

Oh me too. We've never fought it with eldritch as the scary upgrade and always found it trivial, relatively.

It just came up very recently in another discussion where a player claimed it was one of the hardest levels in RtL - which I find slightly mystifying, since it is not exactly the only level with lots of eldritch and doesn't even have an eldritch boss (or any need to kill the boss).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.