GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,704 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: What I Grilled for Dinner (Recipe Inside) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Barrett
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
So dinner tonight was the following:

Charcoal BBQ'ed Grilled Yellow and White Corn on the cob
Charcoal BBQ'ed Grilled Brined chicken breast (with fresh limes if desired)
Alfedo Noodles
Sweet Potato Home Fries

And for the cook: Beer

Instructions below: NOTE COOKING TIMES WILL VARY DEPENDING ON THE TEMP OF YOUR GRILL

For this dinner I took some of the chicken brine and filled an aluminum tray and placed it between the banks of charcoal for moisture while cooking.

BBQ Corn on the cob: I usually bank the coals and throw the corn in the husk into the middle of the grill, it usually takes about 25 minutes to cook the yellow corn and another 10 minutes or so to cook the white. Basically the corn will steam itself in the husk on the grill, you may want to soak the corn in the husk for 10 minutes first in water.

EASY RECIPE!!
BBQ Chicken: we brined 3 lbs of no bone, no skin chicken breasts for 8 hours in the following:

2 quarts of water
1/4 cup kosher salt
1/2 cup of loose brown sugar
2 tablespoons of chili powder
10 large cloves of garlic minced
1 tablespoon of minced ginger
3 tablespoon of fresh ground peppercorns

Cook the chicken until it's done but not dry, I suggest putting a couple of small samplers on the grill to snack scarf test while your cooking.

Alfredo Noodles: My wife did the easy Trader Joes variety and they were tasty.

Sweet Potato home fries: We got a fresh sweet potato and diced it up in to cubes and covered with olive oil and sea salt and baked until a touch crispy in the corners.

So the main dish was the chicken,and it turned out great. My 5 year old doesn't like spicy food but the chicken had a little heat from the chili powder, we gave him a piece that had less spices on the outside, he loved it.

I didn't get much sweetness from the brown sugar (Yay!) but some people may like more. I might even add a bit more.

I wouldn't add any more garlic.

A touch more ginger would help.

For a family meal the chili powder was fine, my 8 year old grabbed a heavily seasoned piece and drenched in fresh lime juice and loved it.

Your milage may vary, in the pacific northwest we don't do much in the way of brining and BBQ'ing but I am going to to try brining more.

EDIT: If you use a propane grill may god have mercy on your soul shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher KrackerJack
United States
Portsmouth
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Re: What I BBQ'ed for Dinner (Recipe Inside)
Although your recipe sounds good, using a grill does not make it BBQ.

I feel very strongly about this, if you haven't spent at least 2 hours smoking it, it ain't BBQ!!!

Here's my favorite recipe for Pulled Pork:
Marinate in Tennessee-style rub mixed with enough Worcestershire sauce to make the consistency of A-1 overnight. (I can't give you the details of the spices until you marry into the family, sorry).

Retain the marinade when you put the meat on the smoker.

I smoke with Kingsford charcoal and soaked hickory chips for about 6 hours, or until the outside is crispy and the meat is pink for at least 3/4" from the surface. The ideal smoking temperature is between 250-275. I use only Kingsford brand because every other one I've tried either burns to fast or not hot enough.

Mix the retained marinade with some drippings from the meat, ketchup (or tomato paste if you don't like the vinegary taste) and some spices. Cook to a boil for at least 30 min (this is a good time to let the meat rest.)

Once cool enough, pull the meat into whatever size chunks you prefer and serve on a hamburger bun with the sauce on the side.

You can also add a pot of baked beans to the smoker and cook them at the same time. Some veggies smoke well also, like corn on the cob or zucchini.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Barrett
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Re: What I BBQ'ed for Dinner (Recipe Inside)
True, It's grilled, I used BBQ in the generic sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher KrackerJack
United States
Portsmouth
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Helljin wrote:
True, It's grilled, I used BBQ in the generic sense.

So did I.

In all seriousness it depends on what part of the country you're from. The Northeast, upper Midwest, and Northwest tend to use BBQ to mean grilled. Pretty much from Texas to Missouri to Virginia to Georgia, BBQ has a different meaning. And it varies greatly from region to region.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.