GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,890 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Discussing Retailers

Subject: Shipping to Australia : is it pro-rata ..? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mr. Grace
Australia
Adelaide
SA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am contemplating my first overseas order ( I am in Australia "A/a"..), from a reputable on line source in USA. I am thinking of at least two games. Can someone tell me if there is any advantage in shipping costs in a "bulk" order OR is the shipping cost of (say) three US pounds just 3 x the price of one US pound ..?

( I ask this because here in A/a, there are usually "steps" in postage costs, with the second step usually much cheaper than the first, and so on ...meaning that there is a definate economy in terms of shipping cost in a larger order. However, so far, my enquiries to US supplier indicate that US system may be different...) Grateful any clarification ! / Mr Grace
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe its usually charged per pound. But you can check the major shipping websites and get an estimate on shipping costs, usually it requires the zip codes of where its to and where its from, weight, and dimensions (you can guess on the size, its the weight that they most often charge by).

However its NOT generally a linear relation ship of 3 pounds costing 3 times the price of 1 pound. Shipping 1 pound might be $10, and shipping 2 pounds might be $15 and 5 pounds might be $25 or some such.

Anyway, goto www.ups.com and www.fedex.com and check the prices. I don't recall if we have any other major shippers offhand. For a while there was DHL, but I thought I heard something about them not doing it in USA anymore? I dunno. Oh and also the US post office, www.usps.com

There may well be "tiers" of service where it gets cheaper per pound once you hit a minimum, but I'm thinking they are probably much larger than a small game order. Anyway, you can find out rates and costs on the shipping company websites.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Payne
Australia
Cherrybrook
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe you can consider a mail forwarding service like shipito.com or MyUS.com. You can take advantage of free US shipping (when offered), consilidate packages and save by sending in bulk

This can work very well if you share with a friend,and also if you are buying from someone who only ships to US (like the Tanga deals)

I'm thinking about trying this - but do I need even more stuff?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim O'Neill (Established 1949)
Scotland
Motherwell
Graduate of Barlinnie
flag msg tools
VENI, VIDI, VISA - my reaction on entering my FLGS.
badge
Like a good red wine, I improve with age... and being laid.
mbmbmbmbmb
Cap'n,

I lived in Papua New Guinea for some twenty years and ordered several games from the USA and UK and never did find a cheap reliable source. The reliable postage carriers such as Fed-Ex and UPS were frightening but at least I got my games in good order.

Jim
Est. 1949

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.