GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,456 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: Camping in Yellowstone? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
M C
United States
Lethbridge
Montana
flag msg tools
badge
Game group needed...
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking of taking the family camping (tenting) south of the border to Yellowstone. There are sites there you can book with 600! spots and some smaller first come first serve camp sites.

Are the giant camp sites nice? Or are they the big RV 'parking lot' type of camp sites?

We would be going in the middle of next week. What are our chances of actually getting one of the first come first serve spots at the smaller sites?

Any thoughts or experiences would be great!

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yellowstone is fantastic, one of my favourite trips ever.

Tent sites were all very rustic when we were there, windy roads through the trees with spots carved out, etc. None of the "paved over football field" stuff.

Clicking the various sites and the Next links on the graphics gives you a good idea of what they're like: http://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/camping-in-yellowstone...

Depending on time of year, first come first serve would be iffy. You'd have to go in to a campground very early looking for spots. I'd always reserve, if you have the chance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Adams
United States
Brigham City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the Yellowstone campgrounds end up being full, try just outside Yellowstone. For example, the Colter Bay campground by Jackson Lake in the Tetons is just a little south of Yellowstone, has hundreds of sites, and you can generally find a site last minute.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Weckermann
Canada
Powell River
British Coumbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We took one of those drop in sites i believe, it was Super with the buffalo right in the camp site. There were 5 of them that morning.

Our camp site with my iron horse in it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angus the Bull
United States
Elyria
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I last camped in Yellowstone I went late in the summer season and had no problems getting a site at the first come first serve campground @ Lewis Lake. I camped just outside the east entrance of the park the night before and headed in early. All the sites at Lewis were well wooded and the only annoyance was the drone of the generators from nearby RVs. I made sure I was up early to day trip and all were courteous so it was quiet by 9 pm each evening. On a side note, the howling of the wolves makes for an eerie lullaby. Heard them several nights while camped there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Canada
Cranbrook
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey if you can't find a spot in the park you can come set up your tents in my yard. I'm only 1500 KMs away from there but I like to play games which would make it worth the extra bit of driving.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M C
United States
Lethbridge
Montana
flag msg tools
badge
Game group needed...
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, we got back about one week ago and had a great time. We reserved a spot at Madison Campground and it was really nice. I prefer a few more trees in between the sites, but all in all one of the better sites I've camped in.

I had to change our reservation at the last minute due to our car breaking down, and they cancelled that day and we extended our reservation another day right over the phone, without the lame cancellation fee that many sites charge.

You American campers are early risers. When our kids wake up I'm used to being the first one out of the tent, but when I emerged half the camp was already gone for the day or just packing up to go!

Thanks for all the advice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.