GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,578 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Combat Commander: Europe» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Scenario 3: Lost in the Woods rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently introduced Jesse to Combat Commander: Europe and, while he's still struggling the the tactics of the game, there's no doubt that he's enjoying it. This was a play of scenario 3, which saw his German forces attempting to storm a depleted Russian command post.

As the Russian player, my main benefit was the terrain, which hampered movement and firing greatly. Against that was balanced my terrible, terrible militia troops. Range 2? Firepower 5? Urgh.

There's a strange tension on this map of wanting to defend the road, but all the victory points really being concentrated in the command post building on my edge of the map. I could survive the loss of all other objectives, but not the command post. Why then, did I put so many troops around the road, and why did Jesse spend so much time attacking them? It's all part of that little idea that infects us when playing Combat Commander: Defend the Objectives!

Jesse began well enough, eliminating my squad in the first building and breaking my other defensive squad. He took a little too long to actually claim the objective, however, and I was able to slip in a reinforcement into the hex! So, Jesse had to do it all over again, but this time took the building (and objective) and began moving his other squads down through the forest towards the road. Wire would be a problem for the future, not for now.

One area where Jesse was giving me an advantage was this: he was very conservative with his movement when he didn't need to be. My troops had terrible range and firepower, but he was rather apprehensive of getting his troops nearby. This is a newbie mistake: he wasn't really aware of how terrible my men were, and so he wasted a lot of movement points as a result.

If there was anything that was plaguing Jesse, it was the way I'd keep throwing up troops behind his lines. Yes, his troops in the forest moved forward, with a sniper breaking my leader and then his men shooting the remainder. He also had his first experience of a melee he started - which saw both my troops and his mutually destroying each other! However, just when he thought his path forward was clear, Walking Wounded would appear near the first objective and delay his press forward a little as he dealt with the new threat. Or, as you can see in the next picture, a team of Russian Assault Engineers with Satchel Charges appeared dirrectly next to his best leader! Jesse was not impressed at all!

I was even less impressed as he advanced into the Engineer's space and used two Ambushes to take care of it. However, all of this was eating up valuable cards and time. And time was very much on Jesse's mind: many of his attack rolls recently had been excellent - and triggered Time as well. I might have been losing men to the rolls, but I wasn't going to surrender the Initiative as I knew how much of a problem the ticking clock was causing to him.

On a lighter note, my broken squads were having a nice little dance with me playing Recover actions, and then rolling exactly their morale to suppress them again. Recover, remove suppress marker, add suppress marker. It happened with monotonous regularity!

And then time ran out for Jesse: He'd finally reached a point where he could begin his assault on the command post, but, thanks largely to the Time triggers he'd been drawing, the seventh space on the Time track had been reached. I drew the sudden death card, and it ended the game - no way was I surrendering the initiative to reroll that game-ending card!

As the game ended, it seemed far more likely that Jesse would win by me surrendering due to loss of troops than victory points, which were still solidly in my favour (10). I'd managed to eliminate only one of his troops - and that in the tied melee that Jesse'd started. It was rare that he even needed a Recover card, although snipers for both sides were far more effective than normal.

Jesse expressed his frustration at not being able to draw enough Move cards; indeed, resources are limited in this game and sometimes luck goes against you. Mind you, I think it's more unfamiliarity with the game in this case. He's still enjoying the game, and it will be interesting to see how quickly he becomes a better judge of the tempo of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt H
United States
Morganton
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds like a great session. Im new to Combat Commander Europe, and I can really appreciate a report like this. It helps other new players learn when a veteran and a newer player compete. I think I picked up a couple of tips from your session!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice AAR, Merric.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr G
United Kingdom
Hatfield Heath
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Merric,

Another quality report.

Those Russian squads are just ugly. It takes a good Russian player to stop the Gerries running along the bottom then scarpering or taking the main objective.

Regards,

Fentum

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Shlepov
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
badge
We played Star Fluxx, Star Munchkin, Dixit, and, of course, Bomb Alley.
mbmbmbmbmb
Great report!

I played this scenario not long ago, managed to get to the Sudden death rolls with VPs in my Russians' favour but lost too many men like a true Russian [combat] commander. Time!, ... no Sudden Death, another of my squads eliminated triggering surrender...arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.