GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,255 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Defenders of the Realm» Forums » Rules

Subject: One more question...Inn in Monarch City? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Conley
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Life is too short not to live it up a little!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, All! Played TWO more games today! The first session with 4 players was a fairly easy win for the Heroes. We then tried SIX players using Richard's variant rules. They took out ONE GEneral before the 12th taint crystal hit the board... yuk

One question came out of that game. The player who played the Rogue wondered if there was an Inn at the Monarch City location. The colored circle around Monarch IS the same color as the Inn circles!!! Of course, he reasoned that there would HAVE to be an Inn in your Big City!!!

I quickly ruled that there WAS an Inn there so the game could proceed, but I'm not at ALL sure that's actually the case. (This was the 6 player game that they lost badly, so I figured an extra Inn wouldn't help TOO much...it didn't.)

I should probably clarify that I didn't actually PLAY in either game. Since it was mostly folks brand-new to the game, I taught rules and helped move things along.

THANKS!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Launius
United States
Johns Creek
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there an Inn in Monarch City?

The answer is no - not in game terms.

Design Note: The reason there is no Inn in Monarch City is that the central location makes it too easy to gain cards through the Rumors Action. My logic in not placing an Inn there from a thematic perspective (and yes, once again, all my design work is based on how it works with the theme) is that while the city is full of Taverns and Inns, as are many of the other cities throughout the Realm, these establishments are not out on the frontier where the trappers, hunters, and woodsmen would be coming into and sharing information of what they have seen of the enemy in the surrounding lands. So, while you can heal in Monarch City like at any other Inn, you cannot gain the valuable enemy information from Rumors that awards you Hero cards.

Hope this clears up the issue and you did the right thing to make a house rule and keep playing - too bad they lost, but your group gained 1 win in 2 games, 50% is not a bad success rating.

Thanks - Richard
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Richard! While the Inn-in-the-City idea made some sense, my instinct said Monarch was not/did not have an Inn location. The way that game was going, I rationalized that they could use a break, but it didn't help.

Thanks a lot! I really appreciate your design notes with your answers. Everything makes perfect sense!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert B
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Keep in mind though that when spending an action to heal in Monarch City, you still heal to full. It's like an Inn in that one regard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So THAT'S part of the misunderstanding, too! THANKS!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Is anyone by any chance collecting/collating a list of all Richard's responses?

It would make for an interesting and useful read...

ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.