GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,778 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Subbuteo» Forums » General

Subject: SuperFooty or Total Soccer? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh Henderlight
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only recently found out about this game and I am intrigued by it. I didn't even know such a thing existed. Now I would really like to try it, but I am having a hard time figuring out what to get. From what I can tell, there are a couple of pretty solid options for new sets. Otherwise I would have to scour through eBay and the like to get a vintage set, which doesn't appeal to me as much.

So I am really looking at the SuperFooty Classic Edition from http://www.worldtablesoccer.com or a Total Soccer set from places like http://www.footballfigure.co.uk or http://subbuteoworld.co.uk/. Both look pretty comparable as starter sets, but I suppose I am leaning toward the Total Soccer sets with the World Cup 2010 license.

Does anyone know anything about either of these brands? The Total Soccer stuff looks to be pretty new as it is tough to find any info on it. If anyone has any experience or can make a recommendation, I'd appreciate it. If I am completely barking up the wrong tree and you know of better places to look, please let me know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred Wallace
United States
Champaign
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I started out with SuperFooty, and that seemed to work well for me. However, I soon found that I liked the game enough to have upgraded my teams to fancier bases, and my pitch to an Astroturf one...and then I got new goals...and I wanted some Tango balls...so the game I play now doesn't use much from SuperFooty at all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Barnes
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My advice is don't get either, if your interested get the good stuff from the start, I think you will enjoy it alot more. I went with a club edition when I came across the game, waste of money if you ask me. I would start with the Pro Set offer.

http://www.tablesoccerusa.com/

Paul is great to work with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crusher Crancko
Spain
Boadilla del Monte
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My experience is if you want to real experience the modern Subbuteo go for more professional material.

Total soccer will give you more teams but what you have to consider mainly are the bases and the pitch.

For bases medium bases could be RaptorG2 and for more advanced versions I would suggest go directly to Astrobase (Bibase or Tribase).

http://www.astrobase.it/

For the pitch I strongly recommend Astropitch or similar. Astrobase also have real good pitchs.

For very professional painted teams the bests for me are the teams from Bertu.

http://www.bertu.eu/

Then a second level decission would be the Goals and the Goalies. For the goalies take the iron metal rod ones not the old classical subbuteo. They are greater!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
crusher100 wrote:
My experience is if you want to real experience the modern Subbuteo go for more professional material.

Good advice! Also check http://www.stefancorda.co.uk/index.htm for DIY team kits and pro bases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Payne
Australia
Cherrybrook
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to suggest a different approach than those above.

If you are just getting into the game, you maybe don't want to spend a lot of money to find you don't like it (although I do!)

Start with an original set from eBay and start small. If you like it, expand - if you don't you haven't spent too much to find out. My first set cost me $20 including shipping from the UK!

You could maybe look for a club or player in your local area and even try before you buy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Henderlight
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not one to run right out and buy the top-of-the-line stuff when I am just starting out on something. So I would tend to lean toward Chris's approach and then upgrade as I go, as Alfred has done. I think I'll do a little bit more research and shopping and see if I can find a good deal on a set on eBay or someplace.

What about the set listed in the marketplace above? Looks like a Milton Bradley production of the game. Is it worth taking a look at?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Barnes
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Josh whatever you end up buying I would put varnish on the bottom side of the bases kinda like a gloss finger nail polish, I picked up some at Walmart. The polish rags are a big help to, if you don't polish your bases they will not glide. If you don't want to buy the polish cloth you can use pledge and a soft detail car cloth. It will make a world of difference with polishing the bases. Also if you get the cloth pitch make sure you mount it to a piece of wood so you don't have wrinkles. Hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Henderlight
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, the more I look around, the more options there appear to be. The downside to that is it gets harder to decide what to get. I am watching this one one eBay: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2706038...

Does it seem like a good set for a beginner? I am perfectly content to keep the cost down and get a club set just so I can try it out. I can always upgrade bases later if I want to. Chances are this will end up like most of my other games with me setting it up and fiddling with it by myself occasionally.

A question about bases. I notice some are more rounded on the bottom, the older ones in particular. Seems those might not go as far without wobbling or tipping over but could be made to be more maneuverable for short distances. Some of the others I've seen (like the Total Soccer ones) seem flatter. I am guessing these are made to be "faster" while sacrificing some of the maneuverability. Is that fairly accurate or am I missing something? Are the bases the biggest determining factor in what to get.

Sorry for all the questions, but that's what the forum is for, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Barnes
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure about that one on ebay it looks old to me. You might be better off going with the superfooty, a little more money but as they say you get what you pay for.

Bases are a big factor, I can't flick the rounder ones to save my life. I would say for a beginner you might want to look for something like the SureShot bases their pretty flat and easier to flick and its one of the cheaper bases. The rounder bases curl more and are harder to control unless you got some serious skills.

Another link that might help you out. There are players in Tennessee how close to you I don't know.

http://americansubbuteo.com/index.php?option=com_frontpage&I...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
richard mellott
United States
summerville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the total soccer for starters as the players are nicely detailed(decaled) and made of a rubber so they dont break the bases are comparable to the stephan corda raptors. The pitch is very fast and smoother than superfooty or a vintage pitch less frustration.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Henderlight
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Richard. I am looking pretty hard at a World Cup set. Trying to find the best price. If you have any suggestions let me know.

I like that the sets have the extra kicking keeper for each team. Not many of them offer that. I have been combing eBay, but it can beb a bit of a crap shoot as to what comes up and its condition. I may finally break down and order one of those Total Soccer sets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mcfc runner
msg tools
Just came across this thread. I run the website:

www.tablesoccerusa.com

We sell table soccer (Subbuteo style) equipment from there. Thanks to those who mentioned our products and service. Some places to learn more about the game are:

www.americansubbuteo.com

You will find a forum there, and will be able to search for players and clubs countrywide.

I also have a YouTube Channel under the name SUBBUTEOMAN that shows the game being played with the current level of equipment.

Subbuteo is in my humble opinion the greatest soccer simulation game ever invented. New equipment now far exceeds the quality of the original Subbuteo equipment. The pitch surfaces, figures, and the bases the figures sit in, are all much improved. A previous poster already stated that old Subbuteo Club editions found on Ebay are basically "crap" in comparison.

Great to see the discussion here. Always good to see people interested in the game. Feel free to contact me with any questions you may have via my website.

All the best, Paul

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.