GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,144 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Battles of Westeros» Forums » Sessions

Subject: My game on the 2nd Battle Plan rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bun Sham
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the third time I played BOW. I choose the second scenario to play, turns out that this scenario is in favour of the annister.
First of all, the Lannister got 11 units but the Stark only has 10 units. Besides, the winning objective is to whole more strategic points than opponent at the end of round 5. Since the Lannister troops are located in the middle of the map, it seems that it is easier for them to get to the strategic points.

I use Lannister again and this time, I got a very powerful heavy infantry commander.
His capture rating is 4, and for each retreat token he rolled up, he can add 1 extra dice in the same order. Since he is so strong and almost impossible to be captured. I can use the commander alone and swap out the Stark troops on my right hand side.

Marco noticed that my right hand side is too strong, so he focused on marching his troops on the other side, trying to use his kennel master, cavalry and light archers to attack my left hand side.
I get my archers into forest and building and start shooting back before they can come too close.
I managed to weaken some of his units. I also move my only Heavy Infantry unit to help fighting against the attack waves on the left.

I use my medium cavalry commander unit to attack the Stark Kennelmaster unit on the top, thanks to the pursuit ability, I can get rid of the whole unit in one order.

After holding the two strategic points on the top, I declare victory in round 5. I am not sure if I will play this scenario again because it seems that Lannister is almost impossible to lose. Maybe this scenario serves as a warm up session for players who are new to the game, and the more experienced player should use the House Stark as handicap.

After 3 plays, Marco thinks that he prefer C&C more than BOW, because C&C is more like tactical commanding a war. For me, I have a little bias and prefer BOW, mostly because I hate the time when I cannot draw the card I need to command a certain line in C&C, and I like the idea of commanders with different abilities. Marco added that the BOW somehow plays like the boardgame version of Shin Sangokumusou (Dynasty Warriors, a video game by KOEI), in which famous Chinese commanders try to kill thousands of soliders in the battlefield. I agree with Marco, and since I like Shin Sangokumusou, I am expecting to play more BOW in the near future!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
badalchemist
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel the exact opposite. In the two games I've played on this scenario, Stark has won both times. Stark has better defense-oriented commanders (good for holding the objectives), they start in a better position (Lannister is scattered and several units are out of ZOC) and they have the green cavalry units that can sweep around behind the Lannister units and snag open objectives. Yeah, Gregor Clegane is a strong unit, but he's also slow and only gets to use one command. If Stark plays defensively, uses their cavalry advantage, and avoids getting into single combat with Clegane, it'll be a pretty good match.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Parkes
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent session report.

I had a game yesterday in which Rickard Karstark was like a character in dynasty warriors. He chewed through a cavalry line almost single-handedly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tycho Terziev
Bulgaria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great session report!The only thing i don't understand is Marco's statement-"C&C is more like tactical commanding a war".Is this because of scale ,or because the emphasis in BoW is on leaders? I am completely baffled. I love the leader mechanic as it is very similar to the one used in Combat Commander-a favorite of mine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bun Sham
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Freelunchpirate wrote:
Great session report!The only thing i don't understand is Marco's statement-"C&C is more like tactical commanding a war".Is this because of scale ,or because the emphasis in BoW is on leaders? I am completely baffled. I love the leader mechanic as it is very similar to the one used in Combat Commander-a favorite of mine.

I hoped I can get Marco's idea correctly. He said that in C&C, it is very common that in the middle of the game, you want to focus commanding certain units that may reward you the edge. However, chances are you may not be able to draw the corresponding line order cards. And then you need to adjust the tactics immediately to recover from the bad drawing of command cards. In real war, I believed that during the time when the communication technology is not as advanced as what we have nowadays, the commander's order may not be carried out effectively, and sometimes that may ruin a perfect battle plan. So, Marco thought that the C&C system simulates war in a better way, whereas BOW is like Dynasty Warriors

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Wong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ammms wrote:
Freelunchpirate wrote:

I hoped I can get Marco's idea correctly. He said that in C&C, it is very common that in the middle of the game, you want to focus commanding certain units that may reward you the edge. However, chances are you may not be able to draw the corresponding line order cards. And then you need to adjust the tactics immediately to recover from the bad drawing of command cards. In real war, I believed that during the time when the communication technology is not as advanced as what we have nowadays, the commander's order may not be carried out effectively, and sometimes that may ruin a perfect battle plan. So, Marco thought that the C&C system simulates war in a better way, whereas BOW is like Dynasty Warriors

Hello I'm Marco, it's just strange that I'm going to explain myself here in BGG rather than local Hong Kong boardgame site
The gameplay of BOW is actually very different from C&C. Most of the scenarios of BOW has a objective (e.g. guarding a location, take some tokens) while in C&C you win by destroying opponent's units (and turn into VPs). The leader also functions very differently: in C&C they give you leader hit, support and usage of leadership L/R/C cards. In BOW they give you zone of command (by which you can use command cards, and each can order more than 1 units), special attack and musou (well, the single use powerful bonus). As in the C&C, leader units fight like healthy ones even when there's only the leader left. But they're very difficult to kill. This makes the game biased towards the leader.
In C&C you can only order a few units each turn. In BOW, you can order virtually all units in a single turn, which consists of few rounds. So you don't need that much hand management as in C&C.
My opinion: C&C is not just more like tactical commanding a war, it's more tactical and a better game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tycho Terziev
Bulgaria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to both of you!
Finally managed to play few games.Marco-i have the opposite impression.BoW felt much,much more tactical.Yes ,you can order pretty much everything most of your units but that's in no way guaranteed.Which makes for some pretty interesting choices.Although i like Battlelore and i definitely like hand management,the combat cards felt uneccesary limiting to me.And the game felt almost like it is playing itself.I think that BoW hits a sweet spot-you are limited in your control ,but not that limited to feel helpless( As i felt countless times in Battlelore).

(To sum things up- the more freedom and choices you have ,the more tactical the game is .hello captain obvious )

Maybe the things is that I am not looking for a simulation when i play BoW and BL- I am looking for light tactical game with lots of dice and the occasional tough choice.And there is plenty of that in BoW.+ some quite interesting mechanics.

P.S. Well i think that BoW IS C&C game .It covers both command and colors
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Janiec
United States
(Teller County)
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Quote:
I am not sure if I will play this scenario again because it seems that Lannister is almost impossible to lose. Maybe this scenario serves as a warm up session for players who are new to the game, and the more experienced player should use the House Stark as handicap.

We played Scenarios 1, 2, and 3 yesterday, and had the opposite experience. Although the Lannisters were able to eliminate both of the Green Cavalry units on the Stark right, the Starks were still able to recapture all three villages in the center and take two of the three crossings by the end of the game. Still, a little Lannister luck on the last turn could have changed that outcome, and we actually thought this was the most balanced of the three scenarios. Have to play more to determine if this is valid, and look forward to doing so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Corrie
United States
Independence
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played this as the Starks this weekend. On a lucky counter, my red infantry forced Clegane to retreat two hexes towards the edge of the board. With Clegane's terrible speed, he never caught up to the action. Lannisters were forced to engage a single troop at a time and were easily fought off. I ended up retaking two buildings from archers, while my cavalry raced to the river crossings. Only a last ditch effort kept me from winning with 5 VPs.

I never used the Dogs of War ability, and instead relied on getting close and dirty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.