GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,385 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

12 Realms» Forums » General

Subject: HELP! where do i start?! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Valdez
United States
Westerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a bit overwhelmed. I've never done a print and play before but this game looks so interesting and is right up my family's alley. I'd like to get started but I'm not entirely sure of how to go about doing it.

What are the steps I need to take to be able to play this game? Print out rules..ok...i can do that. now what? Counters? Cards? Artscow? can't I just print the cards too? is it worth printing htem myself?

What is your usual way of creating a game like this? How did you do the tokens for this game? I see the "pennies" idea but should that really be done?

I'm sorry for such noobish questions but I want to do this right...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Celina
United States
University City
MO
flag msg tools
mb
It depends upon if you want to just try out the game or if you want a smashing copy.

If you have a color printer, cardstock & some scissors, you have everything you need to try the game. You can certainly glue the counters to pennies or cardboard to weight them a bit. Each realm packet comes with the cards already in the file.

If you want a fancier copy, then order the cards from artscow. I did, and they are Beautiful. I haven't printed off the maps yet. For the counters I printed them off on full sheet labels & stuck them on chipboard (like a cereal packet only a bit thicker).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
What I did was just print the game on regular paper (in color). As long as you don't have much wind (i.e. fan), the pieces should stay in place. The only thing I would recommend making fancier is the realms (card stock or glued/taped on to cardboard). Don't worry about how exact you cutting is on the tokens (as long as its not messy) and just make sure you don't completely screw up cutting the cards. After a year or two, when this game is complete, then I'd consider printing/buying a nicer set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jess
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok so this is a really stupid question, but which bits do I need to print out? (I have never done a print and play game before either)

There are a lot of files for this game - do I need to print all of them or are some of them from expansions, and some from the base game?

If it's not every single file, could someone please list the names of the files I need to print - that's be a great help. Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Lambert
United States
American Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it is a bit confusing. I had the same question when I first wanted to make the game.

There are two main options: Artscow or do-it-yourself. The Artscow option is easier (and probably cheaper) but only covers the first 3 realms. The recently released Pirate realm will have to be do-it-yourself.

Whichever path you choose, will need the Rulebook. It is short and can just be printed on normal paper.

If you are going to use Artscow, here is what you will need:
1. Order the cards from Artscow. Currently, they are having a deal (details).
Link to Artscow deck: http://www.artscow.com/share/12-Realms-g89cmjspx91g?Ref=8477...

2. Print out the game [filepage=55646]tokens[/filepage]. I printed mine on cardstock. The first page is a must-print. It contains the creatures, items, etc. The second page contains the round player tokens and the round talent tokens. Instead of printing either of those you can optionally instead use the player stand-ups or the [filepage=58654]large square talent tokens[/filepage].

3. Print out the realm maps. I also printed these on cardstock. You will need at least two realm maps. I recommend all three since you will already have the cards and tokens for all and it will provide some variety.
You will only need to print the first (map) page of these files: Silver Kingdom Realm, Cherry Blossom Realm, and Fairy Realm.

If you want to do all the printing yourself, here is what you will need:
1. Card Back. Use this for the back of all the cards in the other files.

2. Two or more realm packs.
Silver Kingdom Realm, Cherry Blossom Realm, Fairy Realm, and Bones Island Realm.

3. Character and talent tokens.
You will need to print the First and Second player files. You again have the option using the player stand-ups or the [filepage=58654]large square talent tokens[/filepage] instead of the round tokens in the player files. Either way will have to print the player cards from the first two files.

With either above path, you then have the option of printing the Black Fortress expansion.

This is all according to the best of my knowledge. If anyone has any changes let me know and I will update my instructions here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jess
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Styro wrote:
lots of useful stuff...

Thanks so much for your help. I will give it a go tomorrow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Albares
Spain
Logroño
La Rioja
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow Aaron!. Thanks for your help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.