GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,020 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

Carson City» Forums » Rules

Subject: Money beyond cash limit rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
No Info
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Hi,

I've a question regading the cash limit at the end of a turn.

If I end the turn with $21 and my cash limit is $20 do I HAVE to buy a victory point for $10 leaving me with £11, or can I just discard the extra $1?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davide Grandini
Italy
Rubiera
Reggio Emilia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can discard just 1$, for sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Pinter
United States
Liverpool
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Garry wrote:
Hi,

If I end the turn with $21 and my cash limit is $20 do I HAVE to buy a victory point for $10 leaving me with £11, or can I just discard the extra $1?

hey, if you figure out how to spend $10 out of $21 and have £11 left over let me know laugh

anyways, Davide is correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mo Cassidy
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Although it's not explicitly answered above, I presume it's also legal to choose to give up $10 for 1vp and keep only $11, even if my cash limit is $20?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Rumaley
United States
Williamsburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Balfa wrote:
Although it's not explicitly answered above, I presume it's also legal to choose to give up $10 for 1vp and keep only $11, even if my cash limit is $20?

It's explicitly answered on page 3 of the English rules. The most recent PDF I have is from 2009-09-05. There have been revisions since then, but I don't know of a more recent copy available online.
Oldish rules wrote:
You are allowed to spend more money, but you always receive 1 victory point per $10.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mo Cassidy
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
oh yeah, silly me.

On a related note, at the end of the game, do you have to give up money above your limit for $10 per vp, and then after that you give up the rest of your money at $6 per vp?

Or do you get to give up the whole thing for $6 per vp, regardless of your limit?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schaeffer
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Balfa wrote:
oh yeah, silly me.

On a related note, at the end of the game, do you have to give up money above your limit for $10 per vp, and then after that you give up the rest of your money at $6 per vp?

Or do you get to give up the whole thing for $6 per vp, regardless of your limit?

Down to the limit at $10:1VP, then the rest at $6:1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Than Sense
badge
Is it a moose that became a detective ? Or a detective who searches for moose?
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just sifting through the rules threads after my first play as I usually do and... are the responses here actually correct?

The rules say you must spend any extra money over your limit and that you can spend more if you want. $10 = 1VP.

They say NOTHING about discarding money.

Any other comments?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Jorgensen
Denmark
flag msg tools
stevelabny wrote:
I'm just sifting through the rules threads after my first play as I usually do and... are the responses here actually correct?

The rules say you must spend any extra money over your limit and that you can spend more if you want. $10 = 1VP.

Any other comments?

The discarding term is not right - you are actually spending any 1-9$ too. It is just that you only get a point for every full 10$.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Golux13 wrote:
Balfa wrote:
oh yeah, silly me.

But the $6:1 is after spending down to cash limit is only on the last turn (round 4) rounds 1 2 and 3 are always $10:1 unless you have a cowboy on one of the cheaper point purchase spaces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schaeffer
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bmwrider wrote:
Golux13 wrote:
Balfa wrote:
oh yeah, silly me.

But the $6:1 is after spending down to cash limit is only on the last turn (round 4) rounds 1 2 and 3 are always $10:1 unless you have a cowboy on one of the cheaper point purchase spaces.

Yes. The question was specifically about the end of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Than Sense
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Randor20 wrote:
stevelabny wrote:

Any other comments?

The discarding term is not right - you are actually spending any 1-9$ too. It is just that you only get a point for every full 10$.

But what are you spending it on? dirt?

you have to spend to get under your limit.
its $10 for 1 VP
so you have to spend in increments of 10 until youre under.
and you can spend more (in increments of 10)

I'm not seeing anything in the rules suggesting that you can phantom spend less than 10.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mesich
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Horta chortles.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stevelabny wrote:
Randor20 wrote:
stevelabny wrote:

Any other comments?

But what are you spending it on? dirt?

you have to spend to get under your limit.
its $10 for 1 VP
so you have to spend in increments of 10 until youre under.
and you can spend more (in increments of 10)

I'm not seeing anything in the rules suggesting that you can phantom spend less than 10.

I see that you are intent to be as literal as possible, so let's see if this helps.

Quote:
Money beyond your cash limit (indicated in red on the personality card in your possession) must be spent.

You get 1 victory point per $10 that you must spend.

You are allowed to spend more money, but you always receive 1 victory point per $10.

So the only money that you must spend is the money beyond your cash limit. For that money that you must spend you get 1 victory point per $10.

You are allowed to spend more money beyond what you must spend, but you always receive 1 VP per $10.

I hope that helps.

Your interpretation would be much too harsh on the low income-holding roles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Than Sense
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most games actually do favor "literal" or exact wording of rules to clearly explain what is and isn't possible and close loopholes or purposely leave them open for exploiting.

I understood the reply the first time, I just didn't agree with it. I don't see a way to spend $1-$9. Much like I questioned it when I reopened the thread in the first place.

While I understand that discarding $1 and keeping $20 may be more beneficial than getting 1 VP and being left with only $11. At $29, you'd probably be better off with the 1 VP and $19. At $25 its a harder decision. I also understand that that you can determine what your income will be as you are placing your cowboys and should be able to avoid winding up with $21 on a $20 cash limit character. Is it better to put one more consideration to the player before his move, or one more decision after? I don't immediately see either as "better" and since I've only played once, I have no clue whether I'm right or wrong.

So let me rephrase to "I seem to be in disagreement with a few possters about this rules interpretation, has it been clarified in a FAQ or 'official' response on a forum?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xavier Georges
Belgium
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Garry wrote:
Hi,

Here you are the official answer :

It's not mandatory to buy a victory point at the end of your turn if you think its doesn't worth it. It's just mandatory reaching your cash limit. So if you have $21 and a cash limit of $20, you must spend $1 to reach your cash limit. In other words, you lose $1 and you begin your next turn with $20.

Sorry for these misunderstandings, and I wish you to have fun !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Than Sense
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thank you xavier!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.