GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,265 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
37 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Defenders of the Realm» Forums » Variants

Subject: Assassin rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad Hurst
United States
Gastonia
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Idea for character class for future expansion.

Assassin

Life Tokens 4 (5?)

Poison
May spend an action to remove one minion in the current area without rolling the die.

Backstab
May initiate combat against a General regardless of the presence of minions in the same area.

Information Network
May spend an action once per turn at an inn or Monarch City to discard up to four cards from hand and draw an equal number of new cards.

May need tweaking as this is just a quick brainstorm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Barchuk
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Man I like it. I was kind of disappointed at first hoping there would be an assassin type hero. This sounds pretty good. Playtest it and let me know how it works. I haven't received the game yet but it would be pretty sweet to try out this hero when I get the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert B
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Information Network I could see being a fair bit overpowered. You can get to 7-10 cards of the same colour pretty quickly by discarding anything you have that isn't that colour. Considering you only need 10-15 dice for a 50% chance at beating a General...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Life is too short not to live it up a little!
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty neat idea! Tweaks are likely in order as you mentioned, but the concept is way-cool!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Launius
United States
Johns Creek
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
All - We are currently play testing the 12 new Heroes that will appear in future expansions. While the skills are not the same, I will share that there is an Assassin, and she is pretty cool - deadly cool, especially to Generals.

I am looking for people who would like play test some of the Heroes, so if interested, please contact me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cedric Jean-Marie
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
Richard Launius wrote:
All - We are currently play testing the 12 new Heroes that will appear in future expansions. While the skills are not the same, I will share that there is an Assassin, and she is pretty cool - deadly cool, especially to Generals.

I am looking for people who would like play test some of the Heroes, so if interested, please contact me.

Yeah for sure our group would love to play test anything you throw at us for this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Barchuk
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Richard Launius wrote:

Hey, I am definitely interested in play testing any new heroes you create.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Barchuk
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Still, lets get some more ideas and thoughts on Brad's custom assassin. I don't have the game yet so I can't say much on how it would work but would love to hear from others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Hurst
United States
Gastonia
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Information Network
May spend an action at Monarch City or an Inn and discard up to four cards from his hand and replace with an equal number of new cards drawn from the Hero Deck. This may only be done once per turn.

Alternatively could read

Information Network
If the Assassin ends the turn in a space without Generals or minions, he draws three cards instead of two, and chooses one of them to discard.

---thinking here being that the Assassin has a network of contacts all around to help setup his approach, however with enemies very closeby, his contacts will have gone underground. The assassin will have a marginal advantage in cycling through cards to get the cards he needs.

I also did a tweak to Backstab ability:
Backstab
May initiate combat against a General regardless of the presence of minions in the same area. If the General is alone and the Assassin is attacking without other heroes, he may reroll up to three (four?) dice.

This later change will make the Assassin a great choice as either a finisher during his own turn if the main group weaken a General, or makes him a pretty good player to go in and 'soften' the General up for the main attack. I think it fits the theme of an Assassin to go in by himself, shunning others, though if he would like to work as a team, his ability to initiate combat without regard to minions is helpful. If he goes it alone, he is taking a bit of a chance and could take a nice beating.

The playtest miniature I'll use for this for kicks is the Talisman Assassin:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Barchuk
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Brad,

Nicely done man and that's a good figure to use. I totally forgot about using the Talisman assassin. I definitely like the revamped 'information network' ability as well as its flavor. Backstab ability sounds great too. Have you actually tried the assassin in a game yet? At any rate, the flavor text describing the abilities is excellent man. As far as whether he can reroll 3 or 4 dice, not sure about that one. I think life tokens should probably be at 5 I would guess. Anyways, let me know how it plays. Looking good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Hurst
United States
Gastonia
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So here is what I have to summarize:

Assassin
Life Points 5

Poison
May spend an action to remove one minion in the current area without rolling the die.

Information Network
If the Assassin ends the turn in a space without Generals or minions, he draws three cards instead of two, and chooses one of them to discard.

Backstab
May initiate combat against a General regardless of the presence of minions in the same area. If the General is alone and the Assassin is attacking without other heroes, he may reroll up to four dice (you receive two rerolls against even Varkolak)

I'll test out this fella in my next game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Barchuk
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Look forward to hearing how he plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Barchuk
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Brad,

How goes it bro? How did your assassin work out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Hurst
United States
Gastonia
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This one plays pretty well actually!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm wondering if the poison should be somewhat limited, simply for theme. You can't really poison undead. Orcs definitely, maybe even dragons. Otherworldly demons may or may not be able to be poisoned. And this would have to be updated as new generals of new types of creatures are brought into the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Barchuk
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Brad,

Can you describe how some of the assassin's abilities worked in your game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Hurst
United States
Gastonia
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I used it a couple of times and really liked the first two skills. I'm not so sure that the third skill was quite what I wanted out of it. I started working on a couple of other small projects so haven't gotten back to this build yet. I'm thinking that there should be no reroll against Varkolak due to his nature.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Barchuk
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is your main hesitation just the reroll vs. Varkolak? Also the idea he can initiate combat against a general even with the presence of minions is almost suicide isn't? I still haven't received the game yet cry but you take damage at the end of your turn for any minions still present right? Well after he attacks the general he would definitely take damage every time it seems and also, can he have party members with him and still attack the general minus his 4 reroll bonus? I assume the answer is no. Sounds like you mean for him to operate by himself which I think is cool. Maybe have some kind of stealth roll or something like that to see if he can avoid damage from minions after the backstab.

How about something like this:

BACKSTAB: If the assassin is alone and attacking without other heroes, he may initiate combat with a general regardless of the presence of minions. He may reroll 4 dice and after the backstab and if minions are present, the assassin has to roll a D6. If the result is a 1,2,3 he successful escapes without taking any damage from minions.

If that's too overpowered make the success roll be a 1 or 2. This way there's a chance he escapes into the night without arousing the guards. Seems to me if he's able to sneak in to do the backstab, he would have come up with a plan to get outta there. I dunno that's just me. Let me know what you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
tarheel wrote:
So here is what I have to summarize:

Assassin
Life Points 5

Poison

Information Network

Backstab
May initiate combat against a General regardless of the presence of minions in the same area. If the General is alone and the Assassin is attacking without other heroes, he may reroll up to four dice (you receive two rerolls against even Varkolak)

I'll test out this fella in my next game.

Well, I'm sure Richard's Assassin is great in its own way, but I do really like this character. Great job! I do agree with you, though, that the addendum about Varkolak should be removed... keep it simpler and maintain Varkolak's ability. You don't really want to stack exceptions too high, ya know?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Hurst
United States
Gastonia
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks

Yes, once I realized that Richard had an Assassin in the works, I stopped work on this one.

I really really enjoy playing the Knight that is posted in a different thread. Its matured to a form that is well balanced, and posted in the images section/custom for those who haven't looked at it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah yes, I love the Knight, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Barchuk
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brad,

I really like your assassin variant. It's very flavorful. I've got Richard's assassin as well and I'm going to try both of them but I really really like the backstab ability. Honestly I think it should replace "Deathblow" in Richard's assassin variant cause I think it would get used more often. Anyways, is there anyway you could create a card for your assassin too just like you did for the samurai? Would love to have an actual card. Also, have question about the backstab ability. What is the point of being able to attack the general regardless of minions? That's the only part of it I don't totally get. He only gets the reroll bonus if the general is alone. Some clarification on that would be much appreciated. At any rate thanks and keep up the good work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Normally, you can't initiate an attack on a General if there are any minions present in the General's location.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Barchuk
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yea I understand that but why would you? If his reroll ability only works if both the assassin and general are alone, why would you ever choose to attack the general while minions are present? Your alone and don't get the reroll bonus. Sorry just want to make sure I'm understanding it correctly. If there are minions present and the assassin is in a party, can he still have the whole party attack the general and bypass the minions?

This is how I think the backstab ability should read:

BACKSTAB: If the assassin is alone and attacking without other heroes, he may initiate combat with a general regardless of the presence of minions. He may reroll 4 dice with this attack.

Now Richard's assassin has an ability that essentially lets the assassin vanish after the attack to avoid damage from minions. I think the vanish along with this backstab and the poison ability really makes a solid assassin. Just my 2 cents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Barchuk
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Brad,

Any chance you could make an actually hero card for the assassin?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.