GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,755 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
44 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: Wargames you have been BUYING but just can't bring yourself to PLAY rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
"And you won't know a thing till you get inside." (Mystery lyrics; name that song.)
badge
"Drizzle, drazzle, drozzle, drome; time for this one to come home."
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, a spinoff from another thoughtful and delightful thread.

Besides dreaming about games I can't bring myself to buy, I've also been buying games I can't bring myself to play. Often I use the excuse that I don't have enough time (but I notice I make time for lots of other leisure-time activities, including other games). Sometimes I'm just not psyched up enough to tackle learning a new game. Sometimes I just have too many games, and some of them have to wait their turn while others take priority over them.

So, name a game or two that you've bought, and might have had time to play, but haven't actually played. Then say what's keeping you from playing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmb
Where There Is Discord: War in the South Atlantic is one. It's even a specifically solitaire game. I keep meaning to put on the table and playing it, but it just hasn't happened yet. I strongly prefer playing with other people, so perhaps it's just that I unconsciously will wait to play something, anything, with someone else and do other things with my time instead of playing solo.

Fields of Fire is a case of I've simply been unable to get through the opaque rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
"And you won't know a thing till you get inside." (Mystery lyrics; name that song.)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My list, off the top of my head:

The Peloponnesian War, 431-404 BC (Traded for this and was eager to play it, but soon I found myself with a bunch of other new games and started playing some of them first.)

The Civil War (Used to own this but sold it unpunched. Recently bought a copy on eBay. But it looks much more time-consuming than other new games I have, so I keep pushing this to the back burner.)

Champion Hill (Picked this up "accidentally" on eBay--making a token low bid that happened to win. Been hearing great things about this series for years and haven't tried it yet. Now I'm still putting it off even though I could be playing.)

Battles & Leaders (Always wanted to find an open-ended tactical ACW board wargame that might be good, so I bought this one to try. But so far I haven't even punched the counters--though I did read through the rules.)

Rebel Yell (Unfortunately, I happened upon this rival tactical ACW game, and it was priced right on eBay, so now I own it too. Don't know whether to play it or the game above.)

Yankees & Rebels (This one will probably hit the table next, as it looks lighter and more fun than most others I own. And I want to see how it compares to Battle Cry.)

Blue vs. Gray (Traded for this one too--and then practically forgot all about it. Just noticed it again when I viewed my collection list here in BGG. What is it that makes this game drop off my radar? Its small size? I've had it for a long while but haven't done anything with it.)

Wings (I've been all hepped up on The Ironclads lately, so I just had to grab a copy of this WWI air combat game by the same publisher. Flipping through the rulebook, it looks good. But I wonder if I'll ever actually play it.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Butte
Montana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, this could get to be a long list, and one that could cost me Domestic Tranquility points. Main reason these have not yet hit the table are simple, life is busy and I currently have Great War at Sea / Second World War at Sea: Cone of Fire on the table, halfway through a very interesting scenario. Well, "very interesting", but I never seem to have time to finish the next turn, but have too much time invested in it to pick it up, so it kinda languishes. The list of recent acquistions/potential next games:

Panzer Grenadier: Cassino '44, Gateway to Rome - part of a buy 2 get 3 promotion. I've set it up. Love the look, but not sure this is the PG game I want to play with so many smaller sceanrios available.

Carthage: The First Punic War - Got this because I was on the GMT website. Impulse purchase. Very interested in it, but...

Where There Is Discord: War in the South Atlantic - Missed this one on the first printing, and damm near missed it again on the 2nd. Even read a book or two on The Falklands while I was waiting for delivery...

Hellenes: Campaigns of the Peloponnesian War I really like Craig's designs and even got to play a proto-type, so it was a natural to pre-order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Delp
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
leroy43 wrote:
Where There Is Discord: War in the South Atlantic ... I strongly prefer playing with other people, so perhaps it's just that I unconsciously will wait to play something, anything, with someone else and do other things with my time instead of playing solo.

I have refrained from buying this game for exactly that reason. Well, except that it's conscious in my case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If your orange juice doesn't burn on the way down, then you need more vodka!
mbmbmbmbmb
Europe Engulfed and Asia Engulfed. I want to play them, but of the two people that I might have a chance of playing this with locally, one has played it and hated it the other one thinks he will hate it so won't play it. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey man. If you're crossing through Illinois, look me up and I'll give you a game of either one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Szarka
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
When it is your turn to send a VASSAL move, the wait is excruciating. When it's my turn, well, I've been busy.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm noticing a trend here. For me some include

The Peloponnesian War, 431-404 BC - have pulled out the rules several times but something always got in the way...

Ambush! Move Out! and all the other expansions

The Last Days of the Grande Armee has been on the shelf for a long time undisturbed

Napoleon at Bay: The Campaign in France, 1814 I think the system is brilliant but somehow it doesn't get to the table

also D-Day at Omaha Beach I bought with great enthusiasm but is still idle after having the rules briefly thumbed.

I think like a lot of previous posters I like the idea of playing solitaire games but am more fascinated by two-player games with or without an opponent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sadler
United States
Olney
Maryland
flag msg tools
From the Halls of Montezuma...
badge
...to the Shores of Tripoli...
mbmbmbmbmb
If I already know the rules for a system, I generally get the game on the table pretty quickly. New games that aren't ASL, OCS, Grand Tactical Series, etc. just sit on the shelf.

FAB: The Bulge, Three Battles of Manassas, and Marengo all fell victim to this. I opened the new rulebook and then decided that I'd rather play a game than learn one.

Another limiting factor is theme. Of my wargames, Eastern Front games generally make it to the table. Market Garden games will usually hit the table. My games about Afrika and other theaters tend to stay on the shelf.

Tunisia, Burma, and Bitter Woods (fourth edition) all fell victim to being in the wrong theater.

The games I own without having played are a constant irritation to me. I have steadily been getting rid of them and trying to stay in my well worn gaming grooves.

There are a few games I own and will probably never play, but I like them as objet d'art as much as anything. Streets of Stalingrad (third edition) is in the right theater, it's even my favorite battle to game, but I will probably never play it because of its size and rules I haven't learned. However, I will open it and peruse the maps and look at the OOBs while I read Glantz's new trilogy on the battle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have all the games in the "Rome at War" series*. I keep wanting to play them, but tend to play Commands & Colors: Ancients instead for the ancients battle experience. The same can be said of the Ancient Battles Deluxe series.

*I also have most of the other similar series such as the Napoleonic "Eagles of the Empire" and the ACW "War of the States". I played one game of Eagles of the Empire years ago, but haven't played it since.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Botkin
United States
Morton
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, it is usually monster games and games about the Revolutionary War. I absolutely love WWII monster games. I own Case Blue and Battles for Normandy but have yet to punch out a single counter from either game - and please don't get me started on the topic of counter clipping all those pieces of colorful cardboard. I have Proud Monster Deluxe on pre-order which I also wonder when I would ever get around to playing it.

I also own every game that GMT has made about the Revolutionary War but have not played any of them, with the exception of Washington's War. The other one I have come close to playing is Brandywine but at this point it looks like I might be ahead selling my unpunched copy of the game on eBay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lowry
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just can't stop buying more ASL products even though I've got more worthwhile scenarios than I'll ever be able to touch....

Much the same could be said of my SFB collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/Simon+Mueller?o...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barlow
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
50% less stuff = 50% more game time!
mbmbmbmb
Greek Tragedy. Bought it, like it, read the rules, set it up, but haven't played it. I will, I'm just not in the mood right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do I see two copies of Case Blue on that shelf?! (Or is the game just so big that it takes up two boxes?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Well, the box it came in was badly dinged, so I was sent another one as compensation.

It is completely punched into 12 counter trays. 10 in one box.

-----------

To be honest, on that shelf are half a dozen so games I do play - Case Blue is one of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Gates
United States
Essex
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wilhammer wrote:

I gotta get me some tanks to post on the tops of my shelves. Are they from plastic model kits or pre-painted diecasts?

Damn ... wish I had War in the Pacific taking up space on my shelf waiting to be played ....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio B-D
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wilhammer wrote:

Will I get blind for watching your collection? You know, catholic education does not wear down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
21st Century Toy tanks - bought at Walmart in 2005 for 16 dollars each.

No point in building them - they look that good.

AMOF, in the room is a closet with about 30 model kits waiting to be built - but no time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Is Board
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wilhammer wrote:
21st Century Toy tanks - bought at Walmart in 2005 for 16 dollars each.

No point in building them - they look that good.

AMOF, in the room is a closet with about 30 model kits waiting to be built - but no time!

Target has a similar set of "toys" that are exclusive to them, out right now...Battle something, can't remember the name...but they look pretty sharp and are around $20.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
On the Target website are 'Forces of Valor':

http://www.target.com/Forces-Valor-German-Panther-Ausf/dp/B0...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonardo Martino
Italy
Milano
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Im on vacation, just studied the rules and Im waiting my gf to give War of 1812 a try! shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Burke
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Code of Bushido: ASL Module 8

Have had this one for years and have never delved into the jungle aspect of ASL. Just recently began "Red Barricades" so maybe I'm slowly conquering my ASL module phobias.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeb
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Advanced Tobruk ... I just can't find an opponent ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.