GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,717 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Arkham Horror» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Nygotha - An 11th hour experience in 3 hours. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Gerrard
United States
Snohomish
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Had a great game of Arkham Horror this weekend, check it out:

Setup:
Main Board + Innsmouth, all cards from all expansions played together. Mythos Cards + Monsters only from Main and Innsmouth.

4 players -
Darrell Simmons
Mandy Thompson
Luke Robinson
Rex Murphy

Ancient One -
Nygotha

We started the game off quickly, running our normal strategies of trying to win short-term, but always ready to go longhaul if needed, preparing ourselves for the final fight. We noted that with Mandy's Ability, the final battle should be a little easier because she can use her ability for whoever gets pulled below, and we can make sure they get as many hits in as they can.

I was playing Luke and on my second turn in the Dream Lands, I was given a spell. I got...Find Gate.

I was pretty happy with that (Great combo with Gate Box), and during an encounter on the 4th or 5th turn I got a Healing Stone. And this pretty much was how I was acting for the rest of the game:

So essentially, I was able to enter a gate, next turn pop out through Find Gate...to ANY gate on the board through Gate Box, all the while regnerating the sanity from casting Find Gate as I moved along.

I would bounce to Innsmouth, close gates there, come back to Arkham, close another. The Dreamer had Awoken! (For you Dune aficionados).

Despite our best efforts, by the time the Doom track moved to 10, we had only sealed 3 gates and we were sure to be meeting the Ancient One face to face.

Right near the end, the Mythos cards got all wacky. Gates kept trying to open either where a gate already existed (and we took out the monsters fairly quickly), or on one of the 3 sealed locations (and we kept Innsmouth under control). This happened for a few turns, enabling Luke to close out some more gates, getting us down to two gates on the board.

When the Track moved to 11, we took inventory of what we had, and started talking end-battle strategy. Mandy happened upon some good items, had two rocking allies, and we planned to have her hand out weapons at the beginning of battle, right after she got done with her encounter in Innsmouth....
My buddy playing Mandy draws an Encounter and says to me, "I need to draw one Innsmouth Look card...what is that?"
I explain to him that its a deck of cards that ONE of the cards has "you are devoured" and the others are a free pass, so my words were, "Oh don't worry, you only have like a one in ten chance of being devoured."
I shuffle the ten cards, fan them out to him like a magician asking him to pick a card. He draws, and starts reading, "Search the Monster Cup for a Deep One and..." I flip the remaining cards in my hand over as he speaks, looking at the left over 9 cards. I hear my mind yell, "ARE YOU KIDDING ME?" as I am peering at 9 copies of the "You do not have the Innsmouth Look" cards.

Needless to say, there goes Mandy, and most of our weapons we were planning on using in the final battle.
My friend draws Hank Samson as Mandy's Replacement. His draw for items isn't that spectacular, and we collectively become resigned to our fate.

But that turn ended with another mythos card throwing out a monster burst, leaving us at the 11th Doom token, and only 2 gates on the board.

Next turn, Both Luke and Rex come out of their gates, with Luke choosing the gate on Devil's Reef (That we had been ignoring all game). They both close their gates at the same time, and we win through closing all the gates on the board!

Great Fun, 3 hour game. We really didn't expect to win.

Highlight of the game:
Darrell Simmons with a Yithian Rifle fighting a Cultist, Rolling 13 dice with not even one success! (We're gonna make fun of this guy's luck for weeks)

Thanks for Reading!

Dagerr
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Beautifully done! I really enjoy your pictorial interludes.
Those are my favorite games, the "Wha the... We WON? How'd that happen..." variety.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Powell
Australia
Wangaratta
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is why I love this game.

Win or lose the journey is always fun and you can never rest on your laurels.

Great post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Mitchell
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoyed your report and I thank you for posting it, but there is one point I have to mention: Mandy could NOT have allowed anyone to reroll the die for Nyogtha's attack. She can only let you reroll a Skill check, which means a Speed, Sneak, Fight, Will, Lore or Luck check. By the same token, you can only spend Clue tokens for Skill checks. So the sole thing which can help when you when Nyogtha attacks is being Blessed, since that gives you a fifty percent chance of survival instead of a thirty-three percent chance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gerrard
United States
Snohomish
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Solan wrote:
I enjoyed your report and I thank you for posting it, but there is one point I have to mention: Mandy could NOT have allowed anyone to reroll the die for Nyogtha's attack. She can only let you reroll a Skill check, which means a Speed, Sneak, Fight, Will, Lore or Luck check. By the same token, you can only spend Clue tokens for Skill checks. So the sole thing which can help when you when Nyogtha attacks is being Blessed, since that gives you a fifty percent chance of survival instead of a thirty-three percent chance.

Yes, but when pulled under, the first player gets only -3 to their combat dice, can then roll all their dice for combat....Then Mandy steps in and lets them Reroll ALL their failed dice.

This can result in a huge score of combat successes, especially when you are rolling around 10-12 dice for combat.

I see your confusion from what I wrote, but I meant the combat skill check, not the 'one die pulled under and maybe devoured' check.

Dagerr

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
[q=I need to draw one Innsmouth Look card . . . what is that?

Oh, don't worry, you only have like a one in ten chance of being devoured. /q]

We all saw that coming. The kiss of death.

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
apatheticexecutioner wrote:
Quote:
I need to draw one Innsmouth Look card . . . what is that?

Oh, don't worry, you only have like a one in ten chance of being devoured.

Brian

Yeah, rookie mistake, you taunted the game.

First rule of Arkham: Don't taunt the game, it'll get you back goo .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gerrard
United States
Snohomish
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
apatheticexecutioner wrote:
Quote:
I need to draw one Innsmouth Look card . . . what is that?

Oh, don't worry, you only have like a one in ten chance of being devoured.

Brian

Yeah, rookie mistake, you taunted the game.

First rule of Arkham: Don't taunt the game, it'll get you back goo .

I don't think I'll ever really learn this one, I just like to foreshadow my own demise for some strange reason.

Dagerr

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Mitchell
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dagerr wrote:
Solan wrote:

Yes, but when pulled under, the first player gets only -3 to their combat dice, can then roll all their dice for combat....Then Mandy steps in and lets them Reroll ALL their failed dice.

This can result in a huge score of combat successes, especially when you are rolling around 10-12 dice for combat.

I see your confusion from what I wrote, but I meant the combat skill check, not the 'one die pulled under and maybe devoured' check.

Dagerr

Ah, I see. Thanks for clarifying that, and sorry for the misunderstanding.

Mandy's reroll certainly can make the difference in Final Combat. Once it allowed us to blow away Y'golonac . . .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.